6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Backup Camera for trailer - Ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
zcellis3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lockpick WILL NOT work with a 2nd camera if you already have the factory rearview camera. I wanted to do this and that is what the Lockpick tech replied to my question when I was doing my research. If you do not have the factory rearview camera then you can buy and install the lockpick and run 2 camera's if you so choose. I hate this because I want a camera in the bed for hooking up a gooseneck trailer since 8/10 times that is what im pulling, not a bumper hitch!!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Originally Posted by tross
You could try using a lockpick installation. They claim to support a 2nd camera in addition to the factory tailgate cam.

FORD LOCKPICKS
This was my first thought and I contacted Lockpick directly as it sounded like a fantastic product that works well. Unfortunately the customer service folks confirmed that the product would NOT work with any aftermarket camera if you want to keep your factory backup cam. They advised that I could use 2 cameras with their product, but they would both have to be aftermarket, or keep the factory cam but not be able to add another.

I specifically asked about trying to add a relay, switch, or any other ideas to be able to make this work and got a rather curt "we already told you, NO".

I'll be ordering one anyway (after the holidays ease thier death grip on my wallet) and hopefully we can make it work. I simply dont understand how it can have 2 video inputs for aftermarket but you can't have one factory and one aftermarket.

I'd love to make it work despite the customer service claims that it's not possible.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
well that's a bummer... the biggest reason I wanted one was for adding a second camera

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
I had asked this same question on another board and there is a very detailed response of how to do this including wiring harness parts, wire colors, and pin numbers. If you make the video input switchable before it gets to the Lockpick, then the Lockpick will let you see the display while in motion. The key is to rework the wiring properly. It looks do-able, but not exactly easy.

I'd post a direct link (TDG), but don't want to run afoul of any rules here as a new user.

I'm not in a big rush as my trailering is kinda out of season for a while, but I still need to get this done sooner or later.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Can we buy another tailgate camera from parts from Ford then disconnect the tailgate harness install the new camera were we want it? like in back of my truck camper? or in the bed for 5th wheel hitch guys? I guess we would have to extend the narness.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile

I am in the process of installing a "wired" camera system in my 38 foot 5th wheel camper and 2011 F250 Crew Cab.

I chose the wired approach for the following reasons:
  1. Almost all of the wireless cameras on the market are 2.4GHz (some at 900MHz). The range on the camera documentation will list 40 to 50 feet. However this is optimal performance in an open field with no metal or other RF interference. The realistic performance numbers are about 20 feet for 900MHz and about 30 feet to maybe 35 feet for 2.4GHz. My camper is 38 feet long plus I need to go another 12 feet into the cab of the truck.
  2. You still have to have power for the remote camera. So if you are wanting to avoid running cables you can't. You will definitely run less, but a wire to supply power is needed. I wanted my camera mounted at the very top rear of the camper looking down. I also wanted my camera to be on all the time when I am hooked up. I want to know what is back there even when I am moving forward. So I knew I had to run wires for power.
  3. The 2.4GHz frequency is the "wild west". There are tons of devices operating at 2.4GHz and the don't care if they "step on" other 2.4GHz devices. Yes there are different channels in the 2.4GHz spectrum but changing the channel is hit or miss as to if it solves your interference problem. Plus to change the channel you have to switch the camera and the receiver. Once things are mounted (especially up high on the rear of the camera), it is not a 10 second task. I didn't want to go through the effort of installing a camera system only to have it not work when I needed it due to other 2.4GHz devices.
NOTE: I am a hardware/software engineer and I work in the wireless / RF industry so I know how this technology works in the real world. As with anything you have what it is supposed to do and then you have how it really performs. So if you choose wireless, test it before you go through the trouble of installing it at the distances you will be utilizing it. Put the camera at the end of your trailer and the receiver in your truck. All that metal will make a huge difference.

My other reasons for the system I selected are as follows:
  1. I don't have a navigation system in my F250 Lariat (I didn't want it which is a whole different story, I can explain later if you want...). I knew I would have another LCD that would have to wired up that will be used while towing to provide the rear view camera image.
  2. I wanted a rear view camera with at least 130 degree angle view with infrared capability for night vision. It also needed to be IP67 compliant for the outdoor use. Most of the cheap wireless cameras don't have infrared and are not IP67 compliant.
  3. I wanted the ability to attach a secondary camera if needed in the future so a multiplexer is a requirement.
So... the system I selected is from Rear View Safety. The system has a Sharp CCD camera plus a multiplexer box for additional cameras (it supports a total of 3) and a 7 inch TFT display. Here is a link to the system itself:
Rear View Safety | Product | Backup Camera System | RVS-770613

I also purchased the Trailer Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit:
Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-213

I got the system about 75% installed this weekend. The hardest part was "snaking" the cable behind the fiberglass endcap on the rear of the trailer. I finally got that done. Now I just have to run it under the camper to the front. The wiring and multiplexer is fully installed in the truck as well. I should have it all finished this weekend. I'll post photos when I am done.

BTW, Ford did a great job of provisioning for modifications. The upfitter switches work great (Thanks to Great Dane for some wiring tips). The install in the truck was easy as pie. <grin>

Regards,
gascan</grin>

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I hadn't thought of going all the way to that size cable between the vehicles.

Sam

Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KG6EPF
I'd post a direct link (TDG), but don't want to run afoul of any rules here as a new user.
It's just a link, post it.

Bummer you can't switch between cameras with the lockpick.

My desire for cameras was to be able to add one to the rear of the toy hauler (36')
one to the trucks cab to see the 5th wheel and maybe even one in the front grill.

If the lockpick is going to be as picky as it is posted here maybe a mirror display.

What is on the rear view mirror on the 2011's? I hesitated doing this on my GMC because of the temp/compass readout.

Seems like using a mirror like this rear view mirror and a camera like this camera will solve the one camera issue. A 2nd camera like this might work for the 5th wheel issue.

Having the mirror display the rear view camera on the trailer all the time may be better then having it on the radio display.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
that's a really good idea... I'm pretty sure that non-nav trucks with the backup camera use a screen in the mirror like that. I wonder if we could just swap that mirror in, retaining any other ford features (like auto-dim, etc)... I'd love to have the rear view display the view from behind the fiver

Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
that's a really good idea... I'm pretty sure that non-nav trucks with the backup camera use a screen in the mirror like that. I wonder if we could just swap that mirror in, retaining any other ford features (like auto-dim, etc)... I'd love to have the rear view display the view from behind the fiver
The Gentex mirror I linked too is auto dimming.

Do the 2011 SD's have "blank" mirrors? No compass temp etc?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I've got compass in the info screen (and in the nav) and temp on the hvac so my mirror may be different... but it is blank, iirc. You'd think I would be able to tell you for sure from memory... now I have to check

Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

if I remember correctly, if you have Nav and Backup Camera, u have just the dimming mirror.

If you do NOT have nav but DO have backup camera, then u have the mirror with the video window on the left side.

Sam

Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Originally Posted by porthole
It's just a link, post it.
Factory backup cam/ Horse cam question. - TheDieselGarage.com

The response is about the 6th down by Bronco1.

It seems this topic is gaining some popularity (recently added camera question threads), I wish we could make the Lockpick folks listen and find an easier way to make this work.

I want to keep my factory backup cam and have a switch to be able to use whatever camera I want (i.e front cam, cam to hook up my gooseneck trailer, rearview from the back of the trailer, one inside the trailer so wifey has peace of mind that the horse is ok, etc) Should be as simple as some wiring and a video switch box, but what seems to make it complicated is wanting to use the nav screen instead of using a seperate screen. I might try running the factory backup video to an RCA switch and be able to switch around to whatever I need. Not sure yet how I'm going to proceed.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by mvedepo
thats like my post at the top of this topic except that you drag another video cable to the cab instead of reusing the one from the tailgate.

sam

Quick Reply: Backup Camera for trailer - Ideas needed