1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just installed my DP Tuner... ANNNNNDDD...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just installed my DP Tuner... ANNNNNDDD...

OH
MY
GAWD

This thing is rediculous... I got (for your reference) No start, Stock, 60 Tow, 80 Econo, 120 Race.... On DP F5 w/ gauge switcher

60 Tow definitally seems like a tow program... it stays in gears longer and definetally has a lot of low end grunt.

80 Econo is the highest I've gone yet... I'm almost to afraid to go higher.... THIS THING JUST PULLS. I'll accelerate off the line like I usually do when the truck was stock... and then I look down and I'm doing 60mph! AH... need to watch them coppers!

Now I am very happy with this thing, I just filled up my tank so we'll see how this has hurt my fuel economy as I re-learn how to drive my truck..

BUUUUT.... Couple of questions... How come "stock" mode isn't stock? It doesn't shift the same as it use to, throttle sensitivity/response is about the same little more sensitive, but my truck smokes more than it did stock with throttle input... and the tranny shifts much harder (like it use to at WOT). Makes me a little concerned... but not much

Also with 80 econo.. I like when it shifts (mostly) but when it shifts it's kinda harsher than I expected. It's not neck snapping.. but when it shifts it seems to "skoot" the truck forward a bit and then the RPM's drop (completing the shift). This sound about right?

So yeah over all WOW...

Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock is modified stock for better shifting, but fueling should be the same. Shouldn't be any different in the smoke dept...

Old 10-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine does the same thing in 60 E. You can send it back and have it readjusted. I am still on the fence about sending mine back.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:37 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
yeah come to think of it, I believe that the smoke was just because of the cold start (been a blisteringly 46* here this morning in NC). It cleared up fairly quickly, bout a mile or so. So i'm not too worried about it.

But yeah.. It's amazing how the truck just keeps pulling...revs up to 2500 rpm and then just keeps pulling...shift gear... stays at 2500 and just goes! Really a blast to drive.

Throttle pedal is a little touchy, but I knew that going in. I'm just glad its not as bad as I thought! I had fears that it was going to be as sensitive as the god-awful new cars with EXTREMELY touchy throttles... You know those ones... They tend to also have those brakes where you barely touch the brake pedal and the car slams your face into the steering wheel.... I hate cars

Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think your fine with those shift stratgies and fueling, touchy pedal, it does take getting used too no doubt. Owning a custom chip, you got one now, enjoy it, what a difference.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 AM
FTrucker
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
post was changed for secrecy and to protect the inocent!

john

Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FTrucker
Hey whats no start?

john

Its a setting so no one steals your truck, because it wont start, if they don't know it or know you have a DP-Tuner with the No Start setting...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you set it to no start and remove the switcher the truck will turn over but will not start. Good if you leave it somewhere and want it to still be there when you get back. Or if you don't want your wife driving it.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM
santacruzf250
Elder User
Congrats on the DP man! Glad you like it!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
FTrucker
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that real cool, Mine has 6 position's.

And really dont know much about the settings as I didnt meet the previous owner.
What I do know is 1 seems to be for fuel economy and always stays there,

4 seems to be for speed and 2 makes the truck jump forward if I'm stopped w/ foot on the brake, and thats all I really know.

john

Last edited by FTrucker; 10-31-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: nstarting option
Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
By pushing both buttons this should put it in the no start. Turn it over if it doesn't start it has no start. Also bye removing the switch it is in no start also. Good luck most all of us love DPtune. It makes me feel like I am driving a different truck, its great! Chet

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by FTrucker
Wow that real cool, is it likely they all have a no start setting? Mine has 6 position's.

And really dont know much about the settings as I didnt meet the previous owner.
What I do know is 1 seems to be for fuel economy and always stays there,

4 seems to be for speed and 2 makes the truck jump forward if I'm stopped w/ foot on the brake, and thats all I really know.

OK, I just went out to the truck and also found out I can shut the tuner off by pressing both buttons, it goes to 0, then turns off.
But I dont think it has a no start. Anyone?
john
Setting 2 my be 1300 or 1400 rpm setting,what does it do when you are in park or neutral then put it on 2 with out touching the throttle ??.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by AmericanMade
OH
MY
GAWD

This thing is rediculous... I got (for your reference) No start, Stock, 60 Tow, 80 Econo, 120 Race.... On DP F5 w/ gauge switcher

60 Tow definitally seems like a tow program... it stays in gears longer and definetally has a lot of low end grunt.

80 Econo is the highest I've gone yet... I'm almost to afraid to go higher.... THIS THING JUST PULLS. I'll accelerate off the line like I usually do when the truck was stock... and then I look down and I'm doing 60mph! AH... need to watch them coppers!

Now I am very happy with this thing, I just filled up my tank so we'll see how this has hurt my fuel economy as I re-learn how to drive my truck..

BUUUUT.... Couple of questions... How come "stock" mode isn't stock? It doesn't shift the same as it use to, throttle sensitivity/response is about the same little more sensitive, but my truck smokes more than it did stock with throttle input... and the tranny shifts much harder (like it use to at WOT). Makes me a little concerned... but not much

Also with 80 econo.. I like when it shifts (mostly) but when it shifts it's kinda harsher than I expected. It's not neck snapping.. but when it shifts it seems to "skoot" the truck forward a bit and then the RPM's drop (completing the shift). This sound about right?

So yeah over all WOW...
Ive just installed my F6,80e changes the same as yours...

Old 10-31-2010, 04:15 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
yeah I'm still very happy with my DP Tuner... 80e for the win... I'm still learning the nuances of these new tunes though because the shifting is sooo much different than the stock form.

I'm going to keep driving it to see if I get use to the shifting. It does well, but sometimes the 1-2 shift can be kinda hard....

The down shifting from 4-3 is awesome though... Now I rarely need to use my breaks unless I'm coming to a complete stop!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Danzio
New User
Originally Posted by AmericanMade

That "skoot" you're referring to is the torque converter locking up. It still gives me a little rush every time it does it.

Quick Reply: Just installed my DP Tuner... ANNNNNDDD...