1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
old409
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a variable wiper switch. What a difference it makes. I thought I'd go nutzz with the two speed one. It was either too fast or too slow.

After that I started to going over an AM/FM/8 track I got from one of the guys on here. This is what I did before I retired. Not auto radios, mostly communications, TV, VCR's etc. I didn't realize how hard it is to get parts for these older radios. Electronics is a fast moving industry and parts go obsolete fast but I did find what I was looking for.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
eBay score!

Not really something I did to my truck today - but related to future work: I scored a full set of 1986 manuals on eBay for $32.00!!!

1986 Ford Truck Shop Manuals. Orange 3 manual set covers Bronco Econoline E and F series trucks 150-350. Also included is a Electrical and Vacuum trouble shooting manual and a do-it-yourself service guide all ford factory original from 1985.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Those shop manuals are sweet got myself a set as well when I bought the truck.

Well I would say that my interior painting from tan to black is now finished. I am hemming and hawing about utilizing a clear coat on my vinyl seats, dash pad, seat belts, and visors though. Near as I can tell the vinyl dye/paint is good stuff and wont rub off but I just want some more protection on it and certainly don't want it rubbing off on my clothes. All the metal stuff and plastic stuff has several coats of paint and clear coat lol.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pulled the wiper portion of the "multi-function" switch (turn/wiper/dimmer combo) on the Ford/Mazda and cleaned it up. No more "Phantom of the Wipers". Sure beats paying ~$50 for a new switch assembly.
Now, I just need to get around to repairing the wiper motor on the F150.

I know I keep mentioning things I am doing to the "wrong" truck for this section. But, the ranger/bseries section of this forum just isn't as cool. You guys don't realize just how great the wealth of info there is in this section.
About 1/2 the stuff I find "how-to's" on for the ranger/bseries comes from other forums, that I'm not even a member of.......
At least this "Mazda" is actually a Ford. Twin I-beam and all.....

Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
You guys don't realize just how great the wealth of info there is in this section.
Ya don't say...

I joined a Jeep Cherokee forum this week, and I've been hanging out in the OEM section since that's what my mom's Jeep is, it's factory stock. I learn a little, but most of my time there has been spent facepalming over the ridiculous answers to questions...I mean, a member said he found some brown colored stuff in his oil after mudding, and one guy says, "yep, blown head gasket for sure." I called him on it (respectfully)...seeing as my mom's Jeep has brown crud in the cooling system too and it has neither a blown head gasket or has it done any mudding since we bought it!

It just drives me crazy, since I'm so used to the people on here using common sense and trying to actually save each other money.

*rant over*

Anyway, I think I might have decided on a new set of wheels for my truck. I spoke with a local tire man yesterday, an older fellow, and he was saying that my stock 15x6 wheels are a bit too narrow to use with my 275/60/15s if I want them to wear correctly. He said that if I find a new wheel I want, say in Jeg's, and tell him what I want, he bet that he could get it for me cheaper and plus I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

This is what I'm thinking of getting (15x7s for the front, 15x8 for the rear). American Racing Outlaw I:

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
But, the ranger/bseries section of this forum just isn't as cool. You guys don't realize just how great the wealth of info there is in this section.
Hey, man, YOU contribute to the "wealth of info" of which you speak! Be sure to pat
YOURSELF on the back, too.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Hey, man, YOU contribute to the "wealth of info" of which you speak! Be sure to pat
YOURSELF on the back, too.
Yes, he does. But so do you and many others. I've truly been blessed by all the help I've gotten here.

And, sorry for the long virtual silence on my part. But, instead of doing TO the truck I've been doing WITH the truck, and most of that has been hauling building materials. We are in the filling nail holes/sanding/painting phase of our porch-to-sun room conversion, so it'll be another couple of weeks before I get my life back. Meanwhile I'll read the mail.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Kirby, I like the wheel choice. Wouldn't mind finding something like those (again) to fit my little truck. I had a set, a few years back, that would have been perfect for this truck, right down the bolt pattern (5 x 4.5").....

I know there are many others that contribute way more to the wealth of info here, and many that have been around MUCH longer than I. Any question I need an answer to on my 80 F150 (granted, there's not a lot I have to ask about) I can either find the info in the tech threads, or ask a question and get it answered.
Go into the Ranger/B-series section, and check out the tech thread. Half the links are dead. I've asked a couple questions, and did get decent answers, but *almost* everytime the answer was in a link to somewhere else. The latest question pertained to timing belt. The tech thread link was dead, so I asked a question. It was answered with an outside link. Granted, that outside link was a great source, and helped me to determine the cam was 5-6 teeth advacned, and the aux shaft (oil pump and cam position sensor) was 6-7 teeth advanced (35-45*)! I don't even see how the truck could run at all, much less run as good as it did...... Of course, it runs WAY better now.

Off topic "rant" now over.......

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Yes, he does. But so do you and many others. I've truly been blessed by all the help I've gotten here.

And, sorry for the long virtual silence on my part. But, instead of doing TO the truck I've been doing WITH the truck, and most of that has been hauling building materials. We are in the filling nail holes/sanding/painting phase of our porch-to-sun room conversion, so it'll be another couple of weeks before I get my life back. Meanwhile I'll read the mail.
I'm a painter by trade, can I come watch, I'll bring my own lawn chair.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by billt28
I'm a painter by trade, can I come watch, I'll bring my own lawn chair.
LOL. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I'm not a painter, more a paint watcher while it dries.......

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
LOL. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I'm not a painter, more a paint watcher while it dries.......
well I do enough of that too, but I get paid to do it. LOL

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Replaced the window motor in the tailgate of my other truck, lubed the actuator arms really good and got it moving freely, adjusted the strikers and the locking mechanism.

I can finally use the Bronco as a truck now that I can get the window to go up and down. Couldn't open the tailgate 'till I got the window working right.

Now on to the sticky t-case motor..

The 85 F-150 is doing great right now. If I did anything to it, it would just be "busy work". The Bronco needs more of my "real" attention, but I'm making progress.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
Got my ball joints and D44 diff clutch pack from JBG, can't wait to put them in. Pictorial for front axle swap/4X4 conversion coming soon.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
fluknick
Senior User
Not as cool as everyone else, but I received the new sender UPS today.
Did prep this eve....hopefully install tomorrow.
Tested and it works.

Details:
95 plus 10 UPS ....best price I could find
1986 F350 5.8L HO, aft tank, dual outlet, pump on block
Vender:
Green Sales Company...
greensalescompany.com
order 800 543 4959
research 513 731 3304

Last edited by fluknick; 04-08-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: cleaned up text
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
00Boss
Elder User
So many thought rollin round my head bout how to make my truck do as much work as it can. You see alot of 1ton drw trucks pullin a nice large fifthwheel camper. Well I want to haul that same camper with a srw pickup. And I want to find a catalog like LMC for 1 ton trucks.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?