1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake and clutch shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
air5dad49
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake and clutch shaft

I've got a '50 F2, converted to an automatic transmission, still using the original brake pedal setup. Classic Haulers has a brake/clutch shaft shortened to use when removing the clutch assembly. However, I'd prefer not to spend the $55 (the truck fund is running low).

Is there any harm in continuing to use the original brake/clutch shaft with no clutch pedal? Anyone else done this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Can you still lube the shaft?

Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 AM
1low50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you put the pin in the end of the shaft it should not be a big deal. It cant move as long as the pin is there if I remember correctly.

I cut mine and just rewelded the cap end on mine so that it wouldnt be longer ( because I didnt have the room)

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There is absolutely no problem using the original pedal arrangement with an automatic transmission.

I have a larger C6 in my 51 F1 and still use the original pedals. The only thing you need to pay attention to is if you are using the original "3 on the tree" shift for your automatic. Then you need to make sure your shift rod does not lay behind your brake pedal and interfere with it.

There's a real easy way to do what you want to do that costs $0 dollars.

Simply unscrew the clutch pedal pad from the pedal arm, remove your floor plates, remove the clutch pedal return spring, drop the clutch pedal down through the floor and secure it down there with a couple of nylon ties. It sits perfectly right next to the frame. I secured mine to the bottom, unused shift lever.

Then put the floor panels back and and WALLA! all fixed.

Name:  Shift Arm Arrangement.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  71.1 KB