Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Problems - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Tes2fy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans Problems - Any Ideas?

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 1992 F-250 truck. It's a Super-Duty, 7.5 gas engine, 4x4 w/auto transmission.

Now, here's the problem it has. (Before I go sinking money into buying this truck, I want to find out what I'm up against before I get in too deep.)

The seller of the truck has paperwork showing where he had the transmission rebuilt at 126k miles. (The truck presently has 136.5k miles showing on the odometer.)

6 months after the warranty ran out, and he'd only put ~10k miles on the truck since trans rebuild, he lost all forward gears. Reverse works fine - just no forward gears.

He hasn't replaced the fluid or filter, figuring that with only 10k miles since rebuild, he didn't think that the fluid/filter needed changing. (Could it be even remotely possible that I could fix the problem with the trans by merely changing the filter/fluid?)

He's advertising the truck for sale with the understanding that the trans (in his opinion) needs rebuilding.

So, I guess what I'd like to know is if y'all think that with such low mileage since rebuild, do you think that the inner workings of the transmission are bad and need rebuilding?

Would it be possible to replace the pump and remedy the situation? (How difficult of a job would it be to replace the pump?)

The truck would be an awesome deal IF I could repair the transmission relatively inexpensively. Otherwise, it'd be cost prohibitive on a truck of this age, when I could purchase a newer model for around the same money that I'd have in the purchase price + price to have the transmission rebuilt.

Thank you in advance for any input that you may have.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you can not fix that tranny by changing fluid !! now what type of tranny is it ?
C-6 , E4OD . a rebuilt tranny can be any thing from putting new seals in it and flushing out the converter to a complete over haul with every thing new and upgraded if needed !!
tranny shops are one of the biggest rip offs around !! you have to find some one that you trust !!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Tes2fy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I was getting at when I posted the original query on this forum was, according to the rebuild paperwork, the job performed was a total rebuild. And, assuming that the company performing the rebuild did replace everything with new, then it doesn't stand to reason why the whole job would have to be redone all over again.

When I pondered if it were possible to fix the problem by changing the filter/fluid, I wasn't meaning to come across as ignorant. (Which, you obviously thought I was)

I was more openly wondering if it were at all possible that trash may have accumulated, causing the filter to become stopped up, thus preventing the fluid from pumping through as it normally would.

I am now operating under the assumption that I'm facing a complete rebuild job, which will mean that I'm looking at tacking on an additional $2k minimum to what I would have already paid for the initial purchase price of the truck. Assuming that to be the case, then it will not be at all economically feasible for me to pursue this truck any longer.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never thought about you being ignorant , if there was stuff plugging up filter then some thing is wrong with the internals . i have seen shops put more down on paper than they actually did

you most likely have a problem with one of the hard parts in there , planetary gear could be one and on these trannys they need to be upgraded with a rebuild !