Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cj45lc
That's the return hose from the heater core. Take it off clean the threads & teflon tape should fix you right up.

Ok, so fluid is not sitting in that hose currently?

Seems easy enough. thanks for the quick response. I'll add it to my list

Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I am glad that you posted the pictures that you did Lloydable, If anyone could answer this for me. In the first picture on the lower right I am having a drip leak at the lower water pump hose area. It is between the flange and the water pump and not where the hose is pushed into the flange. I went to "O'Reilly" to buy a "gasket".... The guy looked at every manual he had and his computer (and he looked at my truck) and he said that he could not get a 'gasket' for that. Is that 'true'? Is there no 'gasket' between the hose 'flange' and the water pump?

Sorry for the hijack

Be very careful when taking off the top flange off the water pump as it is most likely 'rusted' on and may snap off if a lot of liquid wrench is not used.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Ok, so fluid is not sitting in that hose currently?
Yes there is water in the hose.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Brother Les

Be very careful when taking off the top flange off the water pump as it is most likely 'rusted' on and may snap off if a lot of liquid wrench is not used.
Are you referring to undoing this "bolt"?

I am pretty new to this.

I am not sure what this is "if a lot of liquid wrench is not used"

Yes there is water in the hose.
So when it dumps out, what needs to happen after?

Is there a write up for this fix somewhere. I would hate to disable my truck for something so simple.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Are you referring to undoing this "bolt"?
Yes.

I believe that that is where your original leak was coming from and dripping down to the lower bar.

I have not worked on the water pumps from these (our) trucks. (hence my question about a gasket or sealant between the lower flange and water pump).

I am not sure what this is "if a lot of liquid wrench is not used"
"Liquid Wrench" is a trade name of a product that will help loosen and break through rust. The 'nut' looks to be hollow and slides over short flanged tube, or the tube may be welded to the nut, I just can not tell from the picture.

So when it dumps out, what needs to happen after?

You will need to drain the radiator down below the level of the center of the water pump fan before you take the hose off.

Is there a write up for this fix somewhere. I would hate to disable my truck for something so simple.

have you looked on the "Search this Forum" feature? That is why I am not taking my lower hose off until I find out about the gasket or not. My leak and yours is not bad enough to have a truck down because of broken or no parts. It does need to be fixed though and should be an easy fix, just don't break that flange nut or distort it.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
looks like a simple fix, drain coolant, remove hose, remove hose fitting from waterpump, clean and apply teflon tape or paste, and reassemble in reverse, purge air form cooling system

Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Well, if you haven't changed the coolant since you got the truck and you don't know when the PO did either, it might be a good excuse to just drain it and do it over again... it takes alot of the guesswork outta the job. Mine was pretty dirty and when I accidentally got my upper radiator hose dislodged and the belt burned a hole through it, I just changed the coolant altogether. Be careful to use a good wrench, if not a deep 6-point socket so you don't mess up the head. Also, the water pump housing is only cast... "Liquid Wrench" or "PB-Blaster" might help as well. I would recommend PB-Blaster just because when my Grandpa tried it on bolts he'd already put Liquid Wrench, it loosened them right up.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The heater core return hose nipple in the top of the water pump has an o-ring. If you replace the o-ring no thread sealer will be needed.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
The heater core return hose nipple in the top of the water pump has an o-ring. If you replace the o-ring no thread sealer will be needed.
If the fitting he's got fussing at him is like I think it is, I don't see why you couldn't add an O-ring... it seems to be similar to the fitting that came outta my HPOP that had the blown O-ring. Think it'd work?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
I am glad that you posted the pictures that you did Lloydable, If anyone could answer this for me. In the first picture on the lower right I am having a drip leak at the lower water pump hose area. It is between the flange and the water pump and not where the hose is pushed into the flange. I went to "O'Reilly" to buy a "gasket".... The guy looked at every manual he had and his computer (and he looked at my truck) and he said that he could not get a 'gasket' for that. Is that 'true'? Is there no 'gasket' between the hose 'flange' and the water pump?

Sorry for the hijack

If I remember right there's a thin o-ring at that flange

Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cj45lc
If I remember right there's a thin o-ring at that flange

Thank-you, I did not want to remove it if I did not have a seal/o-ring/gasket to put back on. the guy at O'Reilly said.... "must be a Dealer item..."....

Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Thank-you, I did not want to remove it if I did not have a seal/o-ring/gasket to put back on. the guy at O'Reilly said.... "must be a Dealer item..."....
I believe I got one from the Federated Auto parts place by me. Might have been the same as the thermostat ( just guessing, been a while) but that kind of rings a bell, also pretty sure they come with the waterpump. Bottom line is I know there was a o-ring there, hope this helps. I know I'm not the sharpest chisel in the shop...lol