1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

95 psd cold run problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 06:55 PM
hogan68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 psd cold run problem

My 95 PSD Dually 5 spd runs great almost all the time. I had a bad year last year with oil pump, fuel pump, water pump and glow plugs. And 6 new tires plus front brakes. They just all piled up at once.

I have had this problem for two years and the local dealer says nothing is wrong. They even took me along with the scanner hooked up and said nothing came up. They don't always drive the way I do.

In cold weather (outside temperature below about 32, it does seem to vary) when you first start out the truck falls flat on it's nose. You can hear the pressure dumping off under the hood. The dealer told me I needed to let it warm up for a few minutes before I drive it. Several friends have different year models of PSD and none of them seem to have this problem with theirs. Well I have let it sit and warm up for as long as 20 minutes. And it still falls flat on it's nose. When I say it falls flat on it's nose that only happens when you establish a steady speed (such as 25, 35 or 55). It will not accelerate unless I slow down or push the clutch in and gain some RPM's and then sometimes it will pickup speed and accelerate until you get to the steady speed again. Sometimes even at 55 it will get to the point where it slows down slowly before it ever picks up and runs again. And every time it does this you can here pressure being relieved. After 5 to 10 miles down the road it goes away and usually do not have a problem again. Unless of course it sits for several hours during the day. When the temp is 0 or below the problem is magnified.

I am sure I am not the only one who has had or has this problem. I just need some direction. I do not have an analyzer myself. I am convinced that it is a minor problem. Such as a sensor somewhere in the air inlet system. I spoke with a mechanic at the International dealership and his answer was that it's a Ford I don't know.

One other thing I am just curious about is fuel mileage. 95 PSD Dually 5 speed manual with .410 gears. My mileage is all over the place but I have never seen 15 MPG. Most of the time I am working the truck and don't expect it. I did take a 2200 mile trip in January and the mileage was still not that good. I tried to keep the RPM's under 2500 but sometimes you get wrapped up in the mood of going with the flow of the traffic.

This was long I know and I sure appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

I live in Central Ohio area.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2003, 07:13 PM
martyfowler
Freshman User
95 psd cold run problem

sounds like the exhaust backpressure valve, which is supposed to help the engine warm up. it closes during cold weather to help hold heat in the engine instead of letting it go out the tailpipe. when it is closed it makes a loud hissing sound, and the engine kind of bogs down. may be normal operation, or yours may be closing too often. dont know for sure. supposedly it can be unhooked with no bad side effects. should be a connector right under the turbo. also you can take it apart and remove the butterfly valve which will also make your exhaust flow a little better (probably very little, but some claim big improvement).
just do a search for ebpv,epv,turbo valve,warmup valve,etc. there are lots of threads on this subject. hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:26 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
95 psd cold run problem

You could also be experiencing fuel problems. Perhaps you got a dose of water in a refueling and after the heat from the engine is recirculated thru the fuel system, it goes away. Try draining your fuel filter after it is heated up and see if you get water. Be sure to install all the seals properly again too. Maybe during one of your filter changes you got one of the orings twisted and is loosing prime.
Let us know how you make out