1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DPF delete programer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 AM
acecase
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF delete programer question

OK I think I have a good one for you guys.

My ride is an 08 f250 6.4L King ranch 4x4. I bought it with 150K on it and really don't drive it much. I pull a good bit when I do drive it, but in 2yrs it has only seem 20K miles. Most of the time I am on my KLR. BUT yesterday, changing the oil and fuel filters, right after I smacked my head on the exhaust, I noticed I have a stainless straight pipe. No DPF. The. Truck has no tuner, and no in-lne OBDII tuner. And thinking about it, I have never seen the Regen light. The cel does work, so the bulb has not been pulled. The only mod I can see anywhere that looks at all suspicious is there is a bung at the beginning of the tail pipe, right after the bolts for the header /tailpipe that has what looks like a mini O2 sensor. The wire for it has appx 24" of wire coiled up and zip tied. I am thinking that originally went to the dpf.

Any thoughts? I am planning on an EGR delete and I don't want to run into "compatibility"problems. This will happen soon as I am fixing to do valve cover gaskets and I want to do it while all the other crap is out-of-the-way .

Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Just because there is no physical tuner does not mean the truck is not tuned. I'm betting it's tuned by the last owner, but they kept the tuner and left you with a tuned truck. The sensor possibly EGT probe that may have connected to the tuner the last owner had installed? Would need a pic to confirm that though.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Not only do you not have the tuner but you dont have the stock tune for the truck. You always need to have that if you have to put that stuff back on for smog check. Nor sure if you have that in your area.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the DPF has been removed then there is a tune in the computer to turn off regeneration. I have the mini maxx and the timer does not have to be present for the tune to be onplace and functional.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM
acecase
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
If the DPF has been removed then there is a tune in the computer to turn off regeneration. I have the mini maxx and the timer does not have to be present for the tune to be onplace and functional.
Can you tell me if the mini max can do the same thing for the EGR. I don't want to have a permanent tuner. The idea of just uploading the tune and removing the unit is very appealing to me.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:16 AM
BOHAWG175
Senior User
Yes a new tuner will delete your EGR....on the computer side of things. Still have to remove it or run block off plates. I would not go with a MiniMax as they are out of business and have no customer support. SCT and Spartan get pretty good marks around here.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acecase
Can you tell me if the mini max can do the same thing for the EGR. I don't want to have a permanent tuner. The idea of just uploading the tune and removing the unit is very appealing to me.
Yes, Mini Maxx turns off the EGR and does not require any of the EGT sensors from the DOC/DPF or the DFP back pressure sensor. The tuner only needs to be plugged into the truck at the time of upload or to change parameters. I loaded mine and have not touched it since, I use a ODBLink MX to monitor and clear codes which I have not needed to do since adding the Mini MAxx. Personally I don't have concerns with H&S being gone, the tuner is very clean solution.

Enjoy your "off road race tuck". Aspiring new sport!

Old 02-25-2017, 01:03 PM
acecase
Senior User
Well after some looking. The EGR pipe is still physically in place and gets quite hot. So I am guessing that the D.F. did not disable the EGR when he disabled the DPF. So I either got to spend $700 on a one time use tuner or "DOES ANYBODY WITH A MINI MAXXLIVE NEAR AUGUSTA GA?"

Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acecase
Well after some looking. The EGR pipe is still physically in place and gets quite hot. So I am guessing that the D.F. did not disable the EGR when he disabled the DPF. So I either got to spend $700 on a one time use tuner or "DOES ANYBODY WITH A MINI MAXXLIVE NEAR AUGUSTA GA?"
Keep researching and eventually you'll have enough background to make a decision, tuners record the VIN / Serial Number that they have been installed on - kind of only work on one truck unless the manufacturer will unlock the tuner.