2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Antifreeze smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
kcwolf200
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze smell

Anyone else have an antifreeze smell around their truck? Every now and then I get a whiff of it when I park in the garage and walk by the right front wheel. Today, it was 60 degrees (the warmest it has been since I got the truck), and I did a lot of in town driving and smelled it while driving around (had the windows down).

I looked around the engine compartment and under the truck and don't see any leaking. The overflow tank still measures full. Just curious if any of you have experienced this or have any ideas. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 PM
nvetro
Freshman User
I experienced this with my 2013 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. No sign of coolant leak and the overflow tank was full. When I would park in the garage after a 30-60min drive there was a very potent smell of coolant and It ended up being a blown head gasket which they covered warranty. The dealer mentioned the one head was not torqued down to spec and it broke the gasket in one area causing cool and to leak into the piston cylinder. Not sure if this is your issue or not, but just something to think about.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 PM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a post on the "things you don't like" thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16914087

Old 02-11-2017, 08:07 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sure it's not the smell of npburning urea? Which it is supposed to do?

Old 02-11-2017, 08:36 PM
kcwolf200
Junior User
Positive. I had a 2013 Duramax before this truck and I know what the "strange" emissions crap smells are like. Best way to describe this smell is that it's similar to maple syrup.

The smell is is not as strong as posted above. It does not fill my garage. Just catch a whiff of it when walking by the front. Seemed a little stronger today.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kcwolf200
Positive. I had a 2013 Duramax before this truck and I know what the "strange" emissions crap smells are like. Best way to describe this smell is that it's similar to maple syrup.

The smell is is not as strong as posted above. It does not fill my garage. Just catch a whiff of it when walking by the front. Seemed a little stronger today.
Might be a bad radiator cap failing to hold proper pressure.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 PM
joelariat
Freshman User
I have that smell too on my F 450, I put it on my lift and i see a line of rust from the area of the tubo area down the left rear head down to the oil pan area, but no wetness of rad fluid. I will have it checked out when i have in for an oil change or maybe sooner.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny....but I had that smell on the first day I took the truck home. It's not a regen smell....but coming from the front of the truck. My mom swears she smells antifreeze but I don't smell anti-freeze...I smell something like described above.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:41 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My truck sits in a garage. So I hear you on the smells. Strangely' no diesel smell, but smell urea, smell hot exhaust, smell brake a bit, all new break in stuff I hope. I have checked up unserneath a few times, can't find a thing wrong. Checked oil ,transmission, both coolant same level. I think you just keep watching the two coolant tank levels. Also check the pass side of transmission for the cooler lines going in and out to be sure no leaks.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 AM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had that problem with 2016

It had a freeze plug behind starter that leaked just a small amount . The dealer could duplicate so I got a lawyer that only does diesel lemons and it's a lemon that just got resold in Montana

Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by kcwolf200
Anyone else have an antifreeze smell around their truck? Every now and then I get a whiff of it when I park in the garage and walk by the right front wheel. Today, it was 60 degrees (the warmest it has been since I got the truck), and I did a lot of in town driving and smelled it while driving around (had the windows down).

I looked around the engine compartment and under the truck and don't see any leaking. The overflow tank still measures full. Just curious if any of you have experienced this or have any ideas. Thanks.
You may have a loose hose clamp or bad hose that is leaking just enough fluid to create a transitory ordor but not enough to result in a noticeable drop in radiator fluid level. Your dealer can find the leak by pressure testing the system.

I had this happen on my 2009 Hyundai Sonota. After replacing a windshield that had been cracked for a couple of months, the fogging I had attributed to the crack did not stop. It was then that I put together the transitory odor I was smelling after parking in the garage and the windshield fogging and found that the hoses going into and out of the heater core had failed and were leaking onto the firewall. The leak was not severe enough to cause a noticeable drop in the radiator fluid level.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:01 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Yup, mine smells as well.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Hammered29
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am also getting an anti freeze odor when truck is sitting at an idle. I have not noticed any fluid on the ground as of yet.I will be investigating further when the weather improves.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This seems like a common issue with more then a few threads started on these forums.

The anti freeze smell is it observed when truck is outside as well or only when it's isolated thus easy to smell?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Hammered29
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine is an outside truck(won't fit in the garage). I am smelling it in the cab.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell