Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Can synthetic oil cause an engine to make more noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can synthetic oil cause an engine to make more noise?

Hey everyone, I have a question about oil.

I recently posted a thread about my 2011 5.0L F-150 making a knocking sound that I was unsure about. Here's a link to that thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0l-or-not.html

But my question here is about oil. My truck is still making that damned noise, it seems more audible sometimes and less so others. But it ONLY happens when the engine gets warmer. The noise is completely absent when I do a cold start in the mornings. I've been trying to figure out if it always made that noise or not...I do remember a few years ago when the truck was brand new, pulling up at a drive through window for coffee and noticing that there seemed to be an excessive amount of engine noise echoing off the brick building. But other than that it never sounded out of place to me.

I only started noticing this knock after my most recent oil change, which for the first time ever in this truck, I went from using the Standard issue Motocraft 50/50 synthetic blend oil to using Mobile full synthetic.

Now, I could be totally off base with this...But is it possible that my trucks engine is making more noise due to the thinner synthetic oil? I am considering going back to the MC 50/50 blend oil to see if it makes a difference. Also it's worth noting that this knock really only seems to be present below 1000RPMS. When I'm actually driving and pulling between 1500 and 3000 RPMS the engine itself sounds and feels as smooth as butter. On that note, it idles perfectly smooth as well...It's just the noise below 1K RPMS.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Crownman2014
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's possible. Most people will say that there's no discernable noise difference between oils. However, I have personally noticed a little more engine noise with Mobil1. This was done with back to back changes in 3 different vehicles. With the Mobil I got a little more valve train noise in each vehicle. Does that mean it's protecting less? No. It's still a great oil and I left it in each vehicle for the normal OCI. I've put many many hard miles on my 2002 Mustang GT. It's gotten Mobil1 since I bought it in 2003 and it's still going strong.

Check out this thread. And look around the site. There's tons of info on different oils,

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ic#Post4296412

Old 01-13-2017, 09:39 PM
GSIMPSON
New User
Hi
I have a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 and it started the knock about a thousand miles after it's first oil change. It did get Mobile 1 by the way. I do have a post on the 5.0 engine knock thread but I haven't learned how to post a link to a thread yet. Long story short they replaced the timing chain and tensioners, idler pulley and short block and when it gets to operating temp it still does exactly the same thing as 640 CI ALUMINUM FORD is describing. At this point I would think anything is possible, it seems that even Ford doesn't know. I think it would be worth a try and switch to a different oil. Please keep us informed.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Has anyone considered going to a 5w-30 oil like the ecoboost engines? I think the EB's are using for the higher possibility of oil sheer due to fuel dilution but I don't see where it could hurt to try.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
Has anyone considered going to a 5w-30 oil like the ecoboost engines? I think the EB's are using for the higher possibility of oil sheer due to fuel dilution but I don't see where it could hurt to try.
But could, that be used to void a warranty since the 5.0 is supposed to use 5W 20

Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
My 5.4 is much quieter on 5w30..... Worth a try.

It would be pretty hard to prove which oil was in the sump with an oil analysis. Oils shear and oxidize during use which makes the viscosity a moving target throughout the OCI.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I've been using 5w-30 in my 4.6L Expy since new and it calls for 5w-20. 112K miles of no engine trouble.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:14 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
I use 5w30. It won't void the warranty. In fact, Ford specifies it on some engines, and in the Mustang they even specify 5w50 on the 5.0 cars with Track Pack. Higher viscosity oil is going to give you better longevity and make your engine happy. You might lose 0.2 MPG, which is what Ford cares about thanks to the Feds, but I'd rather have a happier engine.

Also, make sure you use a good filter as well. Motorcraft filters are great. I like Purolator too. Some filters still use cardboard internals and crappy or non-existant drainback valves, and that's a no-no.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
I use 5w30. It won't void the warranty.
That part's true.

Higher viscosity oil is going to give you better longevity and make your engine happy. You might lose 0.2 MPG, which is what Ford cares about thanks to the Feds, but I'd rather have a happier engine.
Not true. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything though,.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 AM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
I use 5w30. It won't void the warranty. In fact, Ford specifies it on some engines, and in the Mustang they even specify 5w50 on the 5.0 cars with Track Pack. Higher viscosity oil is going to give you better longevity and make your engine happy. You might lose 0.2 MPG, which is what Ford cares about thanks to the Feds, but I'd rather have a happier engine.

Also, make sure you use a good filter as well. Motorcraft filters are great. I like Purolator too. Some filters still use cardboard internals and crappy or non-existant drainback valves, and that's a no-no.
Motorcraft and Purolator have been having issues with holes in the filtering media.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3274091/Purolator_PL14610_with_tears

I would and actually still do use them for short intervals but if you're thinking about long drain intervals on synthetic oil I'd look for something other than Purolator or the Purolator built Motorcraft filters.

BTW that cardboard is actually a fiber material and if you ever cut one open and see it seperated from the filter media take pictures. I've seen plenty of metal end caps broke loose from the media but never a fiber one.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 PM
GSIMPSON
New User
Wix used to make a really good filter but they are a little hard to find here. They made all of Car Quest filters also, even used the same numbering system. Unfortunately they closed the one near me. These days I have been using the Mobile 1 filter, I don't know if it is worth the extra money or not.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Crownman2014
New User
Originally Posted by GSIMPSON
Wix used to make a really good filter but they are a little hard to find here. They made all of Car Quest filters also, even used the same numbering system. Unfortunately they closed the one near me. These days I have been using the Mobile 1 filter, I don't know if it is worth the extra money or not.
If you have a NAPA near by the NAPA Gold filters are WIX filters

Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Subscribing to follow

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crownman2014
If you have a NAPA near by the NAPA Gold filters are WIX filters
That's absolutely True

What do u all think about FRAM Filters, specifically the Toughguard
I've been using FRAM for many years now, from normal daily drivers to my high performance supercharged street truck & even on the Hayabusa (1300cc crotch-rocket).
I like the non-slip grip, anti-drainback valve & after cutting them open, haven't seen one come apart on the inside.

FRAM web-link: Oil Filters | FRAM

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
For those interested, Motorcraft vs. others cut away comparisons:

http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...aftcompare.pdf

Quick Reply: Can synthetic oil cause an engine to make more noise?