2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Level it the right way!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level it the right way!

I've read through a few different posts about leveling the new super duty's and wanted to put together a thread that we can read with the correct information. Please post your insight and what you have learned to be accurate from your own level experience. Since 2" level seems to be the most popular, lets base the answers off of that height increase unless noted differently. Please add anything I missed.

A couple questions I want to address:

1) what are the major differences between the kits and quality? What makes one better than the other?

2) Are track bar relocation brackets needed to keep the oem specs in tact and axle centered? What is a good brand?

3) Are castor bushings needed to keep oem angle? Ruth utter recommended Duralast bushing 11260 that worked on the prior years trucks as well. Is this correct?

4) Are new shocks required for a level? I'm not sure on the stock travel length but I would think they would be ok to keep for average uses.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Pvincentt
Junior User
Been searching for all this info myself today... I have a ready-lift 2.5 leveling kit getting installed Tuesday. first ive heard about the caster bushings...sounds like they are a good thing....*edit(just ordered the adjustment caster bushings moog #K80126/11260)

Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
I've been doing a lot of research on this topic also for the 250 I'm ordering soon.

Spoke to BDS tech guy earlier this week regarding their 2" kit with 4 Fox shocks and he offered the following info:

Track bar bracket-BDS is currently developing one that will be included in their 2" kit, I was told this will be available "very soon". In the meantime, they directed me to Readylift or ProComp (I've confirmed part numbers with both of them also) if I simply wanted to purchase the bracket alone to install with their kit. The 2" BDS kit will result in the front axle being slightly off center.

Castor bushings-again in reference to the BDS 2", they stated specifically that the ball joint alignment cams they include in their kit are not "required" necessarily on less that 2.5" of level, but that the trucks steer and drive noticeably better with the included ball joint alignment cams installed after leveling. Castor bushings, per BDS, should not be needed with their kit in addition.

Shocks-extension brackets at a minimum are needed for 2" kits and 2.5". The BDS has the option of buying longer replacement shocks. Based on the positive feedback I've read here and elsewhere about Fox in conjunction with leveling, that's what I will do.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:28 PM
rcoles871
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe "ball joint alignment cams" and "castor bushings" refer to the same part. They replace the stock part on the top ball joint on the steering knuckle. They are included in the 2" BDS kit and on a new truck were easy to install with no special tools.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Pvincentt
Junior User
so now I'm confused....so if I ordered the adjustable caster bushings that's the same as a ball joint alignment cam?

Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rcoles871
I believe "ball joint alignment cams" and "castor bushings" refer to the same part. They replace the stock part on the top ball joint on the steering knuckle. They are included in the 2" BDS kit and on a new truck were easy to install with no special tools.
This could be true that they are the same parts, I'm not sure. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the various different front end parts that are responsible for correct geometry/alignment.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Pvincentt
Junior User
I looked up the BDS site and the "ball joint alignment cams" look exactly like the alignment caster bushings.

so the only thing I don't have is a track bar bracket....sounds like I need that too.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
Track bar relocation brackets

Procomp: part number 62687 (a fellow member here advised that he used this on his 2017 after BDS 2" install and it did re-center his front axle)

Ready lift: part number 67-2538 (this is the part BDS themselves advised I could use if their relocation bracket wasn't out yet)

Old 01-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Pvincentt
Junior User
Thanks..just ordered the ready lift track bar bracket. Before I added the caster bushings and the track bar bracket my local ford dealer gave me a price of $500 bucks for install and alignment...sound about right?

Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Pvincentt
Thanks..just ordered the ready lift track bar bracket. Before I added the caster bushings and the track bar bracket my local ford dealer gave me a price of $500 bucks for install and alignment...sound about right?
For which kit did you receive that quote for install and alignment?
Edit: never mind I see you referenced the ready lift in a previous post. $500 isn't too bad for the install with alignment at a dealer, sounds about normal. I had a similar kit installed on my 2500 Ram and paid around 375-$400 at my local privately owned tire shop.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Pvincentt
Junior User
I ordered it from stage 3 motorsports...it for some reason was the only ready lift 2.5 level that included the brake line drop brackets also.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
This is the only Ford approved way to level your truck.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Glocksub
I've been doing a lot of research on this topic also for the 250 I'm ordering soon.

Spoke to BDS tech guy earlier this week regarding their 2" kit with 4 Fox shocks and he offered the following info:

Track bar bracket-BDS is currently developing one that will be included in their 2" kit, I was told this will be available "very soon". In the meantime, they directed me to Readylift or ProComp (I've confirmed part numbers with both of them also) if I simply wanted to purchase the bracket alone to install with their kit. The 2" BDS kit will result in the front axle being slightly off center.

Castor bushings-again in reference to the BDS 2", they stated specifically that the ball joint alignment cams they include in their kit are not "required" necessarily on less that 2.5" of level, but that the trucks steer and drive noticeably better with the included ball joint alignment cams installed after leveling. Castor bushings, per BDS, should not be needed with their kit in addition.

Shocks-extension brackets at a minimum are needed for 2" kits and 2.5". The BDS has the option of buying longer replacement shocks. Based on the positive feedback I've read here and elsewhere about Fox in conjunction with leveling, that's what I will do.
Great info guys! Looking at the readylift 2.5" kit, it looks like $249 with shock extensions. Where as the Bds 2" kit is basically the same style kit but adds all new fox 2.0 shocks. $333 is the best I saw for Bds. Both have the caster cams and both could benefit from either track bar relocation bracket listed above $175. Seems like the Bds is the best way to me? I've never run fox 2.0's but I could imagine they ride better than oem shocks. I'm a little surprised how much it costs to get a level done, but at least we can all figure out the best way to do it!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:57 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER1

​​​​​​​I don't disagree! Any chance you could measure the heights with it hooked up and know the pin weight of that? What I'm personally looking for is that imy truck will be leveled with about 1k lbs or so in the bed.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER1

I'm loving the looks of that setup

Quick Reply: Level it the right way!