Sponsored by: Moser

Death trap truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Mr.Jackson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death trap truck?

I have a 2012 Ford F-150.Today makes 2 days in a row the truck has tried to kill my family.Lastnight on the way home from picking the kids up.I was slowing down at a red light going maybe 20 mph.All the sudden the motor then raced up to 2,500 rpm's and I barely got it stopped.Today after my sons basketball game and lunch.I had just stopped at a red light in the middle of town.The motor out of no where raced to 4,000 rpms and the tires were smoking.The truck was going sideways and trying to push its way into on coming traffic.I shut off the key and then restarted it.The motor raced to 4,000 rpm again so I **** it off.After the 3rd start up the truck drove fine.So here I am after several previous attempts to get other things on my truck fixed at the local dealers.I have zero confidence in Ford to help.My wife and kids are freaked out and want me to get rid of the truck asap before it killls someone.Whats your thoughts on this?

Old 12-10-2016, 02:59 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Jackson
I have a 2012 Ford F-150.Today makes 2 days in a row the truck has tried to kill my family last night on the way home from picking the kids up.I was slowing down at a red light going maybe 20 mph.All the sudden the motor then raced up to 2,500 rpm's and I barely got it stopped.Today after my sons basketball game and lunch.I had just stopped at a red light in the middle of town.The motor out of no where raced to 4,000 rpms and the tires were smoking.The truck was going sideways and trying to push its way into on coming traffic.I shut off the key and then restarted it.The motor raced to 4,000 rpm again so I **** it off.After the 3rd start up the truck drove fine.So here I am after several previous attempts to get other things on my truck fixed at the local dealers.I have zero confidence in Ford to help.My wife and kids are freaked out and want me to get rid of the truck asap before it kill's someone.Whats your thoughts on this?
Damn that is scary. But before I would consider trading, I would have it checked out by a professional. I've got a 2011 F-150 and I've never had any issue with unintended acceleration. I would fully understand if you want to trade in for another vehicle, (Ford or Not). Obviously the truck shouldn't be driven until this get's sorted out, so I hope you have another vehicle you can depend on in the mean time. But before you jump into trading and possibly winding up upside down with more/bigger payments, I would have the truck looked at by a professional, it could be a simple inexpensive fix.

But either way, glad no one was hurt.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
First off, how many miles are on the truck? And what kind of maintenance has been done it since you've owned it? Are there any MIL's present? If so did you scan the codes to see what they are? We need more info. in order to be able to help with this issue.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Probably not the case with you, but my floor mates caught on my gas pedal on my 2010. This caused a similar situation to what you are describing.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Mr.Jackson
Freshman User
The truck has 72,000 miles on it.My wife is freaked out about it big time.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:53 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Well just guessing at the issue with the little information that you have been able to provide. But it could be a couple of different scenarios. Such as a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, dirty or faulty throttle position sensor, faulty throttle body, PCM needing a reprogram or replacement. And so on. But I'd start with checking the throttle position sensor. If you a MIL light (malfunction indicator lamp aka check engine light) have the truck scanned and report back with the codes that are present. That will be a big help.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:54 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Also what engine does your truck have?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
No throttle cables on these. All electronic. Likely an issue with a sensor or module in the truck. Have the dealer scan it and find the issue.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Mr.Jackson
Freshman User
It has the 5.0 in it.It just did it again at a red light in heavy traffic.Im going to go borrow a vehicle tonight from a friend.Then go park this truck in front of the dealer service bay.This thing is not safe to drive.I hope there more concerned about this then they were with my rattling motor.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:18 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Could be a stuck throttle pedal assembly.

Had that happen to a truck at work. Would randomly get stuck and not come all the way back up.

Good plan to drop it off. Make them find it. Dont accept it back until they do. The the service manager to drive it home for a week if he has to. Let it scare the crap out of him....

Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off sounds like shifting to neutral would at least stop truck. Rattling in engine...5.0s especially pre '13 have had cylinder distortion problems. I'm cynical but something seems odd here.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Mr.Jackson
Freshman User
Everytime It has done it I put it in neutral and once I even put it in park and the tires were still spinning.It is very weird what is happening.The last conversation I had with the service manager was 2 weeks ago over my rattling motor.He told me the 3rd party warranty won't pay to fix anything unless it's visually broken.He also said I should trade my truck in and cut my losses.That didn't sit well with me.I hope they redeem there selves on this one.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meborder
The the service manager to drive it home for a week if he has to. Let it scare the crap out of him....
This is a fantastic idea.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mr.Jackson
Everytime It has done it I put it in neutral and once I even put it in park and the tires were still spinning.It is very weird what is happening.The last conversation I had with the service manager was 2 weeks ago over my rattling motor.He told me the 3rd party warranty won't pay to fix anything unless it's visually broken.He also said I should trade my truck in and cut my losses.That didn't sit well with me.I hope they redeem there selves on this one.
may I ask who the 3rd party warranty company is so I can avoid them in the future?

Old 12-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Mr.Jackson
Freshman User
The 3rd party warranty company is Premier Plus.Its who the Ford dealer highly recommended at the point of sale.

Quick Reply: Death trap truck?