Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck won't start! Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Michael Cieslik
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start! Help

So I have a 2001 f250 7.3l and on my way to work yesterday while driving down a hill I switched my ts 6 switch to 140 and it immediately stalled, so I pulled over and restarted the truck and it started up fine and I drove the rest of the way to work, I go to start it after work and it won't start, it just cranks and cranks and cranks, occasionally it'll fire and I got it to start and was able to rev it for about 30 seconds but then it died, disconnect the 6 position switch from the idm and tried but still nothing, so today I replaced the ipr valve, got everything back together still won't start maybe a little worse now, I know it's getting fuel cause there's pressure in the bowl when I try to take it off, there's a new icp valve, cps, new fuel filter and new sending unit, the hpop is topped off. Also I noticed when I went to change the ipr the wires on the plug were bare and touching so I addressed that, I don't know what else it could be please help

Old 11-30-2016, 04:26 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is the wait to start light on?
Any smoke while cranking?
How cold where you are?
How much fuel in the tank?
Oil level is good?
Batteries voltage low due to cranking?

Others will be by to help, but it"s a start.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Do 1-5 above and get a motorcraft ICP and install it surgically, (shielded and shrinked. etc.

Subscribing

Denny

Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Michael Cieslik
New User
Originally Posted by DND58
Is the wait to start light on?
Any smoke while cranking?
How cold where you are?
How much fuel in the tank?
Oil level is good?
Batteries voltage low due to cranking?

Others will be by to help, but it"s a start.

wts light comes on, batteries are a little low now but they were high when I first started, it's about 40 degrees out, it's started in colder weather, 1/4 tank of fuel, oil was just changed and level is good, can't tell about white smoke cause it's dark and rainy, also the tac is barely moving when I crank it

Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I would try and put some more fuel in it. The 1/4 tank mark is right around where people can have issues with the pick up foot snapping off in the fuel tank, it can no longer reach that last 1/4 tank of fuel.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
I would try and put some more fuel in it. The 1/4 tank mark is right around where people can have issues with the pick up foot snapping off in the fuel tank, it can no longer reach that last 1/4 tank of fuel.
^^This^^

Do a search on Hutch mod for TONS of info on just this problem.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Michael Cieslik
New User
So now I put fuel in the truck and it start up for a little bit but ran extremely rough and kept dying, now it won't start, the tac won't move sometimes and then it does to only about 100 rpms or less and I can't connect a code reader to it

Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuel pump running? You can open the valve on the fuel filter housing and turn the key on and see if the fuel comes out under pressure. Be advised this is messy especially if on concrete. It'd be a good idea to put a catch pan under the tube where the fuel will be coming out.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Michael Cieslik
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Fuel pump running? You can open the valve on the fuel filter housing and turn the key on and see if the fuel comes out under pressure. Be advised this is messy especially if on concrete. It'd be a good idea to put a catch pan under the tube where the fuel will be coming out.
yes I took one of the lines off and turned the key it is coming out under pressure

Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
-Chip is still off the truck?
-How many miles, and stock injectors?
-Can you monitor batt voltage while cranking? Or just put it on a charger, and try block heater to see if aids in starting help.
-Any check engine light or codes?

Member Tugly has some great links in his signature for scan tool help and hard starts.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Michael Cieslik
New User
Originally Posted by DND58
-Chip is still off the truck?
-How many miles, and stock injectors?
-Can you monitor batt voltage while cranking? Or just put it on a charger, and try block heater to see if aids in starting help.
-Any check engine light or codes?

Member Tugly has some great links in his signature for scan tool help and hard starts.
chip is unplugged, once it started to run rough for a little bit it so it got a little warm, 250k on the stock injectors (was planning on rebuilding them), have it on a 300amp engine start charger when I crank it, I do get a cel but like I said the code reader can't connect to my truck, it did the other day with a lower level actron scanner but now it won't after I tried it with a more expensive actron scanne from autozone I don't understand why

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Michael Cieslik
New User
Also the icp and cps are both from motorcraft

Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Be sure to treat it like a "run out of fuel" problem after adding fuel.

Cycle the key 8-10 times WITHOUT starting to make the pump run and try to clear as much air from the system as possible.

If you've removed the fuel line, did you try blowing some air back through the intake line (before the pump) into the tank?

The intank filters/screens also get clogged, pieces of the intake foot get stuck on the pickup line, and other issues.

Check your battery voltage while cranking. If too low, the glow plugs and other stuff are no-go, even though it will still crank (ask me how I know )

Old 12-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This ☝️️, lets start with the easy and free things first.

Our trucks also do not run a "true" OBD II protocol, some readers have problems reading or even connecting to our trucks because of this....

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Michael Cieslik
New User
i pulled the return line off the fuel bowl and it's pouring fuel out, would that cause a no start? If the check valve was broken?

Quick Reply: Truck won't start! Help