Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Great deal on 6.0, stay IDI for simplicity ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great deal on 6.0, stay IDI for simplicity ?

I can get a great deal on a 2005 6.0, it has 135,00 miles and it is the original owner and also had all new injectors put in a year and 1/2 ago. It is a 4 door single wheel F350 XLT and looks to be in real good shape for a great price of around 6 grand.

I like things that are easy to fix because I do not want to pay somebody big bucks to fix my stuff...

Should I stay away from the computer motors, 6 is a steal is it not ? any input would be great. i

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:11 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Not sure what your IDI currently has, but $6k will do a lot for it. Turbo, studs, cam, seal leaks, pump, injectors, overdrive. What more would you want?

Personally I will never own another EFI vehicle. I tried it once and it was am expensive and unreliable POS. I spent a lot of time chasing computer, emissions, and reliability issues. Never again. Above all I need my vehicles to just plain work and reliably get me where I need to go every time. Modern vehicles can't do that.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks, I have a 1994 F 350 Super cab factory Turbo IDI with 240,000 miles on it. I also have a 1993 non turbo.

My brother in law has a 6.0 and has had issues, I thought it might just be his.... 6 thou is a steal I would think....

Happy Thanksgiving......

Old 11-23-2016, 03:24 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds like you've already got a pretty good IDI, won't take $6k to do a few upgrades and improvements and make it nicer than the new truck.

For what it's worth I remembered a guy at work had a 6.0 truck for a year or two and had all sorts of problems with it. He sold it and got a 6.4 truck and hasn't had any major issues. One anecdotal experience, but take it for what it is. Honestly if you want a fancy new EFI truck, 7.3 powerstroke would be the way to go. Not my cup of tea but they're proven performers and pretty reliable, but much more expensive than an IDI.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:08 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
A 6.0 huh? I believe they're frequently called the 6.oh no....

I'd stick with the IDI if its going that cheap, theres bound to be something drastically wrong.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I do not think there is anything wrong with it, they bought 4 of them for their business new and just do not need them anymore. The others have been sold to employees and the owner kept 1 for themselves.

I do not think I want anything where it costs 1200 to replace 3 injectors, my brother in law just had that service done on his...........

Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have heard that you can make the 6.0 reliable, but it takes some $ to do. Can't remember what all they say to do. I think I recall head studs and some EGR stuff.....not sure if it's an updated style or completely removed. If you keep it near stock power levels it does a lot for reliability. They don't seem to handle mods nearly as well as other motors.

I, personally, have stayed away from most modern diesels simply because I want something I can easily work on myself. How rough is your IDI? If it's pretty solid, then for a $6k investment you could almost have a new old truck.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd only own a 6.0 if it was given to me; and even then I'd most likely just resell it.

And I'm not speaking as a biased IDI fan; I am growing weary of the IDI as these trucks and myself get both older and both require more maintenance to keep going. One of these problems I can eliminate.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say that if you could turn around and make a profit selling it... it *might* be worth it.

I, personally, would never want to drive a 6.0 due to the expense. It's just too much of a cost and hassle if(when) something goes wrong.
I'm biased, though.
Check the 6.0 forums here on FTE... after reading through peoples problems there, vs problems here... I'm convinced I don't want one.

Now... a 6.0 powered truck with a junk motor at the right price might be interesting... just to pull the motor and swap an IDI into, but it'd have to be /real/ cheap.

7.3 PSD, while I don't like them for being too hard(expensive) to modify with all the computers... they do just plain /work/. So while I like the IDI, a 7.3 PSD wouldn't be out of the question. 6.0, though... just plain scares me.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
6.0 is a problem child. Wouldn't have one on a bet. Look in the 6.0 forum here.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:50 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I'd say that if you could turn around and make a profit selling it... it *might* be worth it.

I, personally, would never want to drive a 6.0 due to the expense. It's just too much of a cost and hassle if(when) something goes wrong.
I'm biased, though.
Check the 6.0 forums here on FTE... after reading through peoples problems there, vs problems here... I'm convinced I don't want one.

Now... a 6.0 powered truck with a junk motor at the right price might be interesting... just to pull the motor and swap an IDI into, but it'd have to be /real/ cheap.

7.3 PSD, while I don't like them for being too hard(expensive) to modify with all the computers... they do just plain /work/. So while I like the IDI, a 7.3 PSD wouldn't be out of the question. 6.0, though... just plain scares me.

Thanks you all, yaa there not to bad with studs and a delete. My brother in law has one with 250 thou on it and it still goes good but he does have some cash in it. I have never seen one with 500 on it however....

I want to get a modern truck and put a 1994 - 1998 Cummins in one. The Cummins is idiot proof, no glow plugs, plus you can run a pneumatic starter if need be with

My IDI is in real good shape for it's age but sometimes you just want the newer body....

Old 11-24-2016, 05:56 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 7.3l PSD really isn't that much more costly to modify than the idit. You get much more for your money with the psd anyway

I was looking for 7.3l excursions they go for around 12k to 18k. I found a 6.0l for $4500 that the guy was going to let me have for $3k and I still walked away from it. Egr delete and head studs are a minimum but they have injector issues and hpop issues as well.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:17 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Yaa I am shocked at what the original PSD 7.3's bring, here in FL you can find deals and no snow so it is a great place for used trucks....

The old school mechanical motors especially the Cummins are just so simple and you can run anything in them with no problem, you cannot do that on a PS at all....

I looked at a Cummins Ford conversion up close and it was so clean simple and easy to work on, way cleaner than any IDI set up. I just want simple that will run forever if taken care of and do not care about all the other stuff and I have heard up close and direct the Cummins gets better mileage loaded and pulls better getting the load going stop to stop light pulling....

Thanks Shawn you are always a great help.....

Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
I want to get a modern truck and put a 1994 - 1998 Cummins in one. The Cummins is idiot proof, no glow plugs, plus you can run a pneumatic starter if need be with
Not to change the topic too much here... but as far as I can tell, you could put that same pneumatic starter in the IDI. I believe they both use the same SAE bolt pattern, same number of teeth, same direction...
Also, you can run an ether injector instead of glow plugs for an IDI.
And, for the full 'no electricity' experience... remove the lever off the FSS, back the idle screw out until it dies, and add a hinged idle bracket(i.e. something to give you idle when you want it running, and backs out of the way when you want it to die).

I know that 5.9 cummins are nice... but damn if they aren't expensive.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info, I have no problem with an IDI and it is a good engine it's just the Cummins is cleaner and simpler but it must be hard to start when real cold.....

Ether injected into where, I have had mixed results with ether. It seems like the engine tries to run backwards.....

There was a 5.9 on Ebay a few days ago that was a 1994 model with 70,000 miles and it had a Buy it Now for 2000 and local pickup only and it was gone in a few hours after being listed. The drive would have been 4 hours for me.....

That was a deal.....

Quick Reply: Great deal on 6.0, stay IDI for simplicity ?