Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Another E4OD/FIPL question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 AM
heythere2321
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another E4OD/FIPL question

Just bought my first diesel. 1993 7.3 non turbo. Started driving it home and the overdrive off started flashing. Pulled the codes and only got the 62. Started at the FIPL and shot the wires per the threads on this and pretty much every other site. My issue is that I'm getting the 5v on the black and white wire and 15 ohms for ground from the orange and white wire. From the posts, this is exactly backwards from what it should be. I don't see anything at the transmission as far as wires being spliced. The voltage is 1.2 idle and 4.2 wot from the center wire still. I searched and couldn't find any threads on this and I'm sure that it's the wires are swapped some how but was hoping for some insight.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 AM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heythere2321
Just bought my first diesel. 1993 7.3 non turbo. Started driving it home and the overdrive off started flashing. Pulled the codes and only got the 62. Started at the FIPL and shot the wires per the threads on this and pretty much every other site. My issue is that I'm getting the 5v on the black and white wire and 15 ohms for ground from the orange and white wire. From the posts, this is exactly backwards from what it should be. I don't see anything at the transmission as far as wires being spliced. The voltage is 1.2 idle and 4.2 wot from the center wire still. I searched and couldn't find any threads on this and I'm sure that it's the wires are swapped some how but was hoping for some insight.
I know nothing about the e40d really, having a c6, but have seen a lot of posts advising to find and clean all wiring connectors. May be it's a good place to start.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:21 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know much about the E4OD other than the parts it's connected to in order for it to work and I don't have a service manual nor schematics that cover an E4OD.

I've seen that symptom mentioned before.

Are you sure that is a TPS related symptom?

Sounds like maybe some confusion about using the meter and taking the readings properly rather than reversed wires but I really don't know enough about it. I just read the first page of the following topic, (too tired to read the rest) and that's what I will refer you to in case you haven't read this one yet:

Includes in the opening post, UPDATED: A/T - E40D FIPL Sensor Trouble Shooting & Adjustment
TECHNICAL BULLETIN # 186A
DATE: Jan 1994

Posted on 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ions-only.html

EDIT to ADD: On the last page of that thread which is currently Page 4, Chevy_Eater posted a link to download a .ZIP file of E4OD Information which should be very useful to anyone working with an E4OD

Originally Posted by heythere2321