2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Messy oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messy oil changes

Anyone else here have problems with messy oil changes at the dealer on the ecoboost? I have had two oil changes done so far, the first I had oil stains on my driveway. I went in last week and told them to be more careful this time because I had oil dripping last time, they assured me they would take care of it this time. I came home and after a few days I had even more stains than from the first oil change. Called the dealer and they sent a kid out to scrub my driveway but of course it is still visible. I have read that this is a problem, so do I need to put a piece of plywood out everytime I get my oil changed again?? Friggin ridiculous! My '14 had multiple oil leaks when it was brand new and now this '16 drips after oil changes, can't catch a break.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
If the EB is anything like most other vehicles it likely isn't dripping oil from the motor, the filter or the drain plug, it is dripping from the plastic guards used to divert the oil to the catch pan. They just aren't mopping them up after the change.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:48 AM
rjd75
Senior User
Yes I agree 100% it's dripping from the pan under there, I can see the staining. They claim it's too difficult to keep clean. Just wondering if others are experiencing this as a common issue or if I need to go to a different dealer. I see a lot of posts when searching google from f150 owners complaining about this as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:13 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Shouldn't be an issue if they wipe it down, that's what I do with mine. No drips after that.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM
ad2435
Junior User
I've had 3 changes and not a drop.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:38 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rjd75
Yes I agree 100% it's dripping from the pan under there, I can see the staining. They claim it's too difficult to keep clean. Just wondering if others are experiencing this as a common issue or if I need to go to a different dealer. I see a lot of posts when searching google from f150 owners complaining about this as well.

I would tell them it is too difficult to give them your money and head for a different dealer. On my 2013 Expedition it is one shop towel and about 30 seconds of wiping to clean up the mess on the plastic guide trays. Seems really lazy to me. If they let a vehicle go out dripping oil after an oil change, what else are they willing to cut corners on?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM
dj lpm
5th Wheeling
"They claim it's too difficult to keep clean"

That is perhaps the greatest thing I have heard a dealer say ever. Screw them; find another dealer.

-DJ_LPM

Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 PM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I agree that it's hard to keep oil from collecting in places, but it's possible to keep the job clean.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I've changed the oil a couple of times on our 15, and it is a PITA to clean up all the oil from the undertrays, but it is possible.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 PM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody know why removing the plastic pan under the engine isn't recommended? That would take care of the mess issues, wouldn't it?

I guess I should clarify that it would be an R&R of the pan to make the O/C cleaner and easier.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I haven't been under anything newer than a 2012, so I can't speak to this specific pan, but normally the plastic pans are there to divert the flow away from cross members and suspension parts that would be even harder to clean up. When done right they are not an issue - you run a paper towel over them at the end and everything is bone dry.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:55 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, I do all my own oil changes, I can't stand having somebody else work on my vehicle, and in the rare case they do, I have to go over everything they did as soon as possible.

But..................... I just did my 1st oil change on the Ecoboost Expedition and it will be getting oil changes at the dealer from now on.

My problem is that it needs to be on ramps for me to get under it, but when the front end is up on ramps it makes the oil from the filter run backwards. Its drip tray is designed for it to run forwards. So it really needs to be level to minimize the mess. I don't have pit or lift. I thought about buying another set of ramps and drive all 4 wheels up in 4 low but finally gave in to letting it be somebody elses problem.

Then the oil filter drip tray still needs to be wiped out or it will keep dripping until it has all sloshed out or has caked with enough dirt.

My dealer wiped the oil filter drip tray clean after they did an oil/filter change.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by U9000
Anybody know why removing the plastic pan under the engine isn't recommended? That would take care of the mess issues, wouldn't it?

I guess I should clarify that it would be an R&R of the pan to make the O/C cleaner and easier.
I think they're just saying it's not necessary, but I'm pretty sure they're talking to their techs who are using lifts. Take it off if you want. I thought about it and didn't see any obvious reasons why not to it just didn't look like it'd help me much so I didn't.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
The pan under my Ecoboost is actually metal. So I've been doing my own oil changes on my 2015 Expedition with Ecoboost AND my 2011 F-150 with the same engine. Both are messy as hell. So this past weekend, I took the four bolts out of that metal plate under the engine and removed it best that I could. It doesn't help very much at all. Yeah, if you have some help, you can hold an oil catch pan up between it and the engine so that it catches the spillage from the filter, BUT here's the catch--that pan is attached to the flexible cover up front (the one that you have to unlatch and fold back in order to get to the filter from below). So the pan cannot be completely removed because of those plastic push tabs. I've resorted to just letting my vehicles sit outside after I change the oil or taking them for a long drive before parking them back inside the garage.

May the automotive design gods severely punish the engineers who designed such a user-unfriendly oil change experience for the Ecoboost owners. There's NO way I would trust anyone other than a dealer to do those oil changes, and this thread proves they really can't be trusted either.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:13 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
I even built a set of ramps so all 4 tires are on ramps so I can get under it but the front tires are a couple inches lower so the oil filter will drip into its catch tray and run out forward like it's supposed to and it still went everywhere.

I'm seriously considering backing off on the whole "do my own oil changes" theory, at least on this ecoboost.

And I take the plastic skid plate off to get to the drain plug but the metal skid plate gives no help.

Quick Reply: Messy oil changes