6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New 6.0L PSD Factory Stopwork?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Jaybirdut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 6.0L PSD Factory Stopwork?

I just received my new 2003 F350 CC, LB, 6.0L PSD three days ago. It is great so far. I heard from my son yesterday that Ford has stopped production on the 6.0L PSD. One dealership in Salt Lake City has already refunded the full amount of three trucks to the owners because they keep losing the engine after 200-600 miles. On guy had two engine replacements and they finally refunded the full amount of his truck. Anybody heard about this? I knew there would be some recalls, but this sounds serious.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:36 AM
bricot
Elder User

Check out the thread called New Powerstroke Durability... there is a story in there that follows what you're talking about.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:58 AM
seagal41
New User

Yikes! Not that I didn't believe what I was being told but ordered one from the factory. Actually significant other ordered before finding out what I found out. I'll keep you posted on any problems here. I hope it's exceptions rather than the rule. Did anyone hear if production was actually stopped for sure? Maybe he won't have to worry about it after all.

Thanks everybody for their input by the way. I tried to tell him! LOL.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:02 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Production has NOT been stopped but it SHOULD BE!!

Old 02-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry New 6.0L PSD Factory Stopwork?

Joe, please tell us why work should be stopped. I have a new F350 4x4 DRW Lariet ordered which should be built next week. I am trading a 2001 F350 to get rid of problems. I will be very dissappointed if the new one starts out with problems. What problems should I look at or for with the new truck before I sign the paperwork or give them a check?

Old 02-11-2003, 10:42 PM
boblamp
Freshman User
Angry New 6.0L PSD Factory Stopwork?

Yes Joe, Please elaborate!!!!

Bob

Old 02-12-2003, 04:09 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are currently using 2 factories to build half as many engines as we built by our selves in September. And, about half of those are what we call retrofits or re-entry engines. Ford has demanded that we not send them any more retrofits, so we don't call them retrofits any more, we call them re-entries (they are the same junk as the retrofits). We've got a new engine tracking system which isn't anywhere nearly as good as the old one and the old one wasn't worth a crap! Computers run everything and they are down about half the time. We've got a computerized torque system on the injectors and sometimes the computer doesn't record the torque values. If the torque values aren't in the computer the engine can't be shipped, so we have been retorquing the injectors in repair after the engine is finish assembled, which means the valve covers have to come off (instead of putting a man on the assembly line with a torque wrench before the valve covers go on). We've been doing this for 3 weeks and still the problem has not been solved (we have yet to find an under torqued injector). It is the same thing with the flywheel bolts. They put in a new spur line to send these engines to repair instead of giving the spur line repairman a torque wrench and having him do it. We've got 4200 engines destined for tear down or the retrofit line (we've set up a new line to disassemble these engines, instead of figuring out how to put them together right the first time). In addition to that, we've got another 1000 engines on the floor waiting for major repair. We've installed a "watch dog" program in the computer to prevent these engines from being shipped (which is good) but we are sending retrofit engines to be torn down to a short block for re-entry, to be built back up, and these engines are passing all the tests only to be rejected at the back door by the watch dog because they've already been previously statused as a retrofit which can't be shipped anyway. Some of them have been around the circle 2 or 3 times. Others have failed cold test and instead of repairing the cause of the failure, they were sent for re-entry, built back up and failed cold test for the same problem they had the first time! We are chasing our tails and all those morons in the front office can do is form committies so they can have some more meetings. And to top all that off, they just handed us the worst labor contract in history. We spent 23 weeks on strike in 1979 and 1980 to keep what we had (voluntary overtime) and this contract has manditory overtime. Morale is at an all time low, the people are giving the bare minimum both in hours and effort. They've farmed out test and some repair to non-union shops as well as much of the assembly process. All they want to talk about is diversity and respect for people (they have so much respect for people that they gutted our contract). Those are certainly good things but we run an engine plant. The first thing on the agenda is to build the best damned engines that money can buy. Then, once we have a solid handle on that, we can deal with some programs that aren't directly related to the process of doing what we're in business to do, diversity, for example.
They'd go a long way to repairing the rift if they called back all the laid off workers, brought back our work to be performed in-house and gave us some indication that we are still in the engine business. I am done with them. My boss said I have a bad attitude to which I replied "I am a product of my environment."

Old 02-12-2003, 12:33 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User

Go Joe !!

Old 02-12-2003, 12:50 PM
psd tech
Senior User

Joe, thanks for the " behind the scenes look".:-staun

Old 02-27-2003, 10:28 PM
presidente_coo
New User

Joe,

http://uaw98.com

I'm told this may take a day or two to show up but it is going to be a great place to share information within the plant.

Spread the word within the plant.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Life in the dysfunctional ford family. I feel your pain Joe. Stamped 1000 bad hood skins the other day. Die marks. Definately not the first or last time. The ship is sinking.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:30 PM
diezelonly
New User

BOY AM I GLAD I DID'NT ORDER THAT 6.0 DOES'NT SOUND LIKE I WANT MY ENGINE BUILT THERE.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:30 AM
1943GPW
Freshman User

Think about this, if you worked in a plant making something, would you bash it? You might if you were one of the ones laid off! I have a 2003 6.0L and it is running great! I did have the ICP replaced, but that is minor. I hope we are not giving a first hand look at why the foreign manufactures are beating us at our own game. Hay, ford is catching the problems and some don't like it.

Mark

Old 03-01-2003, 11:53 AM
xanthias
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

Just wanted to thank you bro. I've lurked here longer than I've been registered and I've read plenty of informative posts from you helping other people out. You definitely know your stuff. I'm very gratified to have a 2000 7.3L PSD.

You fellows keep your chins up and turning out that heavy iron! Those of us out here in the world appreciate people who give a damn about what they make.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:12 PM
stormyrider
Elder User

I jsut Bought A 7.3 from a local Ford dealer. I asked him about the 6.0 and he told me that they were disappointed by the number of warranty repairs taking place. Stated that so far all were minor defects but was concerned that the number involved could **** off the owners. NO mention of anything serious so far.

Quick Reply: New 6.0L PSD Factory Stopwork?