1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

External fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. I've been doing that and every time I do, I see there's several posts that I didn't get a notification for.

Originally Posted by vjsimone
Steve it is always good to go back to the previous page when you log-in to the Forum, and review, just in the case you missed a post, or if a previous post was modified to correct the text.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Steve - I like Vincent's approach of using the ubiquitous check valve. If that works you won't need a new reservoir.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:53 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sgauvry
Yes. I've been doing that and every time I do, I see there's several posts that I didn't get a notification for.
Don't forget this;

" There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums "

Thank the Lord, on this Thead......

Old 07-23-2016, 11:40 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Yes. I found that. I see two connections to the ECM, one at pin 29 and one at pin 49. That confuse me because the O2 sensor has one wire coming from it that plugs into a white connector, and that has one wire running directly to the ECM. What am I to understand by looking at this? Am I to check the continuity? To pin 49?
Steve, when you get the chance, check Pin #49 at the ECA connector.

Neg. test lead to ground, Pos. test lead to Pin #49. Resistance check. Rx200 Ohms.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Pins 40, 20 & 49 are also grounds, so check them when you get the chance.

Just be very sure you are on the right connector pins.
Steve, I cannot find where you checked these Pin#s to ground??

Old 07-24-2016, 04:53 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
I remember doing pin 49 and it was ok. I don't remember doing pin 20 and 40.
I'll do those two later today. Church day for us so I'll be gone most of the morning.
Steve, I cannot find where you checked these Pin#s to ground??

Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
I remember doing pin 49 and it was ok. I don't remember doing pin 20 and 40.
I'll do those two later today. Church day for us so I'll be gone most of the morning.
Ok, when you get the chance. But check Pin #49 again as well, record your readings. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:18 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Well, it rained last night. It rained HARD! My truck, well, IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!! Thanks, folks!!!

I will follow through in checking those remaining pins today. Just have to figure exactly which wires they lead to. Using http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/eec-iv-diagnostics.html, it'll be a snap!
Ok, when you get the chance. But check Pin #49 again as well, record your readings. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Something's not right. Likely user error.

Battery disconnected - Paper clip to alligator clips, with paper clip in correct pin hole and remaining clip grounded.

Pin#49 - not sure of the wire to check but do have a wire with ground to firewall and checked that. Got 1. reading. Checked surrounding grounds with same results.

Pin #40 - Checked battery ground again with same results (1). This is the one I checked before and had positive results so I am thinking the ground I'm creating with the alligator clip isn't good.

Pin #20 - Not sure where to connect this. Tried it both on the spout and on the TFI connector. Got a 1.

Possibly having trouble grounding the alligator clip. I tried door hinges, high beam switch on the floor, other metal parts under the dash.

I checked I had correct pin-holes several times.

Pin QUOTE=vjsimone;16446715]Ok, when you get the chance. But check Pin #49 again as well, record your readings. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Make sure you have a good body ground from the NEG post of the battery to the body of the truck. We are not talking about the frame here.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
OK. Will do that. Were my connections on pin 20 correct? Spout or TFI?

Originally Posted by subford
Make sure you have a good body ground from the NEG post of the battery to the body of the truck. We are not talking about the frame here.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you been able to look at the diagrams on garysgaragemahal (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/elec...control.html)? Ground pins are 20, 40 & 60 they will be across one end of the EEC connector. Pin #49 is the O2 sensor signal ground and probably goes to the engine ground point. The other 3 all go to the problematic ground connection at the battery negative cable. This is the one that causes most of the problems with the 1985.5 and 1986 5.0L EFI systems.

For a good ground, look near the EEC area on the firewall, there is a ground point, G701, near the right side of the radio. That should give you a good connection. FWIW, this is the ground for the fuel pumps, gas gauge, rear lights essentially about half the truck (not one of Ford's "better ideas".

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM
c2z4s9
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not. Question for you though: Is it your "death star" that is in use or the original?
That's a very good question. They both appear to be hooked up. I'll have to investigate further. I also am getting a code 34.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
I actually looked at this diagram: EEC-IV Diagnostics - ???Gary's Garagemahal

I'll tried to find a better ground for my alligator clip.

Thanks!!

Steve

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Have you been able to look at the diagrams on garysgaragemahal (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/elec...control.html)? Ground pins are 20, 40 & 60 they will be across one end of the EEC connector. Pin #49 is the O2 sensor signal ground and probably goes to the engine ground point. The other 3 all go to the problematic ground connection at the battery negative cable. This is the one that causes most of the problems with the 1985.5 and 1986 5.0L EFI systems.

For a good ground, look near the EEC area on the firewall, there is a ground point, G701, near the right side of the radio. That should give you a good connection. FWIW, this is the ground for the fuel pumps, gas gauge, rear lights essentially about half the truck (not one of Ford's "better ideas".

Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Something's not right. Likely user error.

Battery disconnected - Paper clip to alligator clips, with paper clip in correct pin hole and remaining clip grounded.

Pin#49 - not sure of the wire to check but do have a wire with ground to firewall and checked that. Got 1. reading. Checked surrounding grounds with same results.

Pin #40 - Checked battery ground again with same results (1). This is the one I checked before and had positive results so I am thinking the ground I'm creating with the alligator clip isn't good.

Pin #20 - Not sure where to connect this. Tried it both on the spout and on the TFI connector. Got a 1.

Possibly having trouble grounding the alligator clip. I tried door hinges, high beam switch on the floor, other metal parts under the dash.

I checked I had correct pin-holes several times.

Pin QUOTE=vjsimone;16446715]Ok, when you get the chance. But check Pin #49 again as well, record your readings. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Steve, No paperclip, just your meter, Negitive/Black meter lead to a ground under your dash. Positive/Red test to check each pin. Remove only the Positive battery terminal this time.

Quick Reply: External fuel pump