View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Read the long series of posts on the problem, linked below. Read all, because there is a wide variety of viewpoints that you should be exposed to. I will amend my comments then to now say that I have been convinced to give more weight to the nickel anti-sieze being effective. It also appears that the MC/Autolite plugs have been somewhat improved from the first generation, but there are still reports of them breaking the second time around.

The key to this is that if you do it yourself, get the Lisle tool and the TSB. If you take it to a shop, don't assume they know the problem. Make sure they do. Ask them what their success rate is. If they doom and gloom you in order to change a higher price, go elsewhere. For a tech with the tools and the knowledge, it's not a huge deal. More than a normal change, sure... especially if one breaks, and that makes it cost more (blame it on Ford and Allied Signal), but some shops use it as an excuse to bend over customers.

Finally, if you go with the one-piece Champions, which I recommend, it's VITAL that you replace the COP/Plug boots at the same time. The MCs and the Champs have different body profiles... the Champ being smaller. If you put an old, heat-formed MC on an Champ, you may get misfires due to the spark jumping past the loose boot.

I don't think you necessarily increase your odds of no broken plugs by doing it too early. Use up what you got first. I have it on good authority that, despite the 100K factory recommendations, the factory plugs are well on their way to being "used up" in the 60-80K range on a truck that sees a lot of short hop and in town driving. Wait until that point, at least. If yours has mostly highway miles, the 100K likely works out fine. If you use a good combustion deposit cleaning gas (the Top Tier brands... google it), or use a deposit removing additive like Techron or V-Power, or get an injector/ combustion chamber cleaning done, you greatly increase the odds of the plugs coming out in one piece. Watch the Sept issue of Four Wheeler magazine for a story on the 3V modular spark plug issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nd-change.html