Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,516 Likes on 1,748 Posts
Draining water from the primary fuel filter (HFCM)

This post will present the procedure for draining water from the primary fuel filter (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module / HFCM / fuel pump).

(note - link in tech folder is broken so I have put this together)
<O</O
Before posting the links to the procedure, there are several points worth making:

1. Get a large diameter drain pan to collect the drained fuel. The larger the better. I use my 20 inch diameter oil drain pan.<O</O

<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="2">2</st1:NumConv6p0>. The factory drain plug in the HFCM is a <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="6">6</st1:NumConv6p0>mm hex drive brass plug (removed with an Allen wrench). It is prone to stripping AND it allows fuel to drain along the frame rail, creates a mess, and has been known to soak the person doing the job. Also, if you keep this factory plug, be sure not to over tighten it!

<O</O<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="3">3</st1:NumConv6p0>. An upgraded drain plug exists (and is highly recommended) that allows a "finger tight" installation that eliminates the issue of stripping the brass plug. This plug, if necessary, can also be removed with a 6mm Allen wrench or pliers since the plug is not "flush mounted" like the OEM plug is. It is designed with an "extension" so that it does not have to be completely removed from the HFCM like the OEM plug. This extension also causes the fuel to "wick" along the plug and away from the frame rail. This enables the flow to be directed into a container and practically eliminates the mess.
<O</OImproved Fuel Filter (HFCM) drain plug:<O</O
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-19.php<O</O
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php/products/HFCM_DrainPlug<O</O
Optional fuel filter drain plug Ford #<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="6">6</st1:NumConv6p0>E<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="7">7</st1:NumConv6p0>Z-<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="9">9</st1:NumConv6p0>C<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="082">082</st1:NumConv6p0>-A or International #<st1:NumConv9p0 sch="2" val="2589259">2589259</st1:NumConv9p0>C<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="91">91</st1:NumConv6p0>
<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="91"></st1:NumConv6p0>
<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="91"></st1:NumConv6p0><O</O<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="4">4</st1:NumConv6p0>. Diesel fuel will eventually swell rubber products. Coating the drain plug o-ring with oil before re-installing will help some to preserve its life, but you should keep a spare on hand because you most likely will need it at some point (I have 42k and I just had to replace mine).

<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="5">5</st1:NumConv6p0>. The WATER IN FUEL (WIF) light will come on when approximately <st1:NumConv6p6 sch="4" val="0.2">0.2</st1:NumConv6p6> pints (<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="100">100</st1:NumConv6p0> cc) of water accumulates in the module. Ford recommends draining the water from the HFCM monthly (IIRC) OR when the WIF light comes on. I do it every oil change. If you ever get the WIF light, drain the HFCM immediately.

<O</O<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="6">6</st1:NumConv6p0>. If you keep the original drain plug, one recommendation I have read (primarily for <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="4">4</st1:NumConv6p0>x<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="4">4</st1:NumConv6p0>'s) was to get an <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="8">8</st1:NumConv6p0> inch funnel and place it between front drive shaft and frame rail. Aim it into a catch pan and you won’t end up smelling like fuel for the next two days. You can also use a sheet of aluminum foil - you may have to play with the length and shape, but it should also help direct the flow of fuel into a large container. I personally love the modified drain plug. It drains perfectly into my container.

<st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="7">7</st1:NumConv6p0>. Last, after I have drained the HFCM and re-installed the plug, I cycle the ignition before starting: <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="1">1</st1:NumConv6p0> cycle of (ignition on for <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="3">3</st1:NumConv6p0> sec, ignition off for <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="15">15</st1:NumConv6p0> sec), then ignition off for <st1:NumConv6p0 sch="1" val="3">3</st1:NumConv6p0> seconds and START. This is an abbreviated version of the procedure after a filter change. It is most likely not required, but I do it anyway - personal preference.

Now the links to the actual procedure (they also include filter change procedures):

http://www.dan.prxy.org/Truck/Owners_manual/Service_Points/HFCM/HFCM.html<O</O

http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/D...ence-Guide.pdf

Please share what has worked for you.