View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
No harm done at all. I moved the bench seat from the back of the garage to the front in case you were seriously interested in it. No biggie.

Fabricating tracks is a pain in the ****, since you found crummy bench seats in the boneyard, grab the tracks. Then making mounts is as easy as welding some 1/4" plate to the bottom of the tracks and drilling through those plates to your floor, using larger fender washers underneath assuming the floor is solid.

If not, you put a plate underneath the upper plates, drilling them together before welding so you can line them up properly on the floor and drill through.

Another option is to use hat nuts, i.e. nuts with a built in cast washer that's part of the nut. Push them through holes in the floorpan so the flange keeps it from passing through, then weld the flange underneath to the floorboard.

There's 20 ways of doing this that are fairly easy. Just use good hardware as ungraded bolts will snap in an accident. I always use grade eight for fabricated seat things simply because I want to stay inside the truck.