View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now what? 86 Ranger, 2.3, efi, 4 Cyl, 5-speed

86 Ranger 2.3 - Gas will not keep engine running.

Hello fellow ford rangers out there.....
Ok...here we go again. I'm still having issues, but it's intermittent.
1986 Ford Ranger / 2.3 EFI / 140 CID OHC /4-Cyl/5 speed

So the last time I was here, I was having doggy issues which I thought were fuel related. I'm still having issues, although it appeared to cleared up a bit.

When I start the engine, it cranks over, I'd give it some gas, it would rev up, then suddenly die, no matter if I pressed down on the gas pedal or not. After two or three times doing this, it would turn over and maintain a steady idle, then off I go.........

The problem now?
Well, late today I tried to get it going, and after about 15 times, I gave up. It would not stay idling, it would crank over then die. I did not want to ruin the starter. It seems the gas pedal is worthless after the engine decides to conk out, and no matter how many times I step on the gas pedal, nothing happens.

It would be so pleasant if I could get close to pinpointing this cause, instead of playing the expensive process of elimination game. I DO realize what a long shot that would be, for someone to just tell me, "Hey, dude, check your ##$@&&, that's definitely your problem!", but life never seems to be easy.

Has been replaced within the last few months:
Fuel filter regulator,
Inline fuel filter,
Cap and rotor,
Lucas fuel injector cleaner,
ECC computer, and Fuel pump relay switches, (multi-function relay/connector switch)
Idle Air Control Valve - Removed and Cleaned.
Checked all vacuum hoses.

Has not been replaced:
Map Sensor, (never)
EGR Valve and sensor, (never)
Throttle Position Sensor, (never)
EVP sensor, (never)
Spark plugs, (two years ago)
Plug wires, (two years ago)
Ignition control module, (replaced about six years, or more)
Timing belt - Several years since I replaced it. Was told it needed to be replaced. No Money!
Starter - Several years ago

So, I can sure use some help from anyone who experienced these symptoms, and what did you do to correct the problem?

With trying to keep the gas going to turn it over, it does not, so to me, it seems to be more of a fuel problem than electrical, but I'm no mechanic. Thank you for any help! :-)

ME?
Maybe it's the pump. I only had the inline fuel filter changed out, and at that time, he noticed shavings in the filter, which suggested the pump was breaking down, but only he told me two weeks later, not at the time of repair. Otherwise, I would have done that too.

So with not much money and no ride, I'm going to first remove the EGR from the engine, remove the sensor, and clean all parts with carb cleaner. I will also remove, clean , and replace the Air Control valve (AIC)

I am not in any position to nickel and dime myself into oblivion, and play this dangerous game of "process of elimination" until I find the real cause(s).

So when you climb into my truck and try to turn it over after about three or four times, then it actually does turn over, idles and runs, what would be your thought?
Thanks!