View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
Greg, I think your on to something with the Rad. I was surprised the outside wasn't full of ****. usually its lack of airflow that causes heat.
Consider Evans coolant. it works for me and with a zero pressure system no worries about blown hoses and such.
Barney
I was surprised as well. I was half expecting to find some blockage on the external cooling fins but they were remarkably clean considering the age of the vehicle. I forgot to mention, the radiator shop said the cores were about 25% blocked. They cleaned them out and now the radiator is good as new. I am not sure if that will totally solve my cooling issue so I suppose another test is in order. I also think that my fan clutch might not be engaging 100% because it wasn't roaring like my pickup trucks do. I went ahead and swapped the fan in from my wife's truck since it's a pretty new unit so I'll see if the 'roaring' sound is any different.

Do you have any links on the Evans coolant? I know zero about that stuff...

Originally Posted by duck fan
The overheating can cause a loss of power. Also, I was having dead throttle issues a year or so ago. Turned out to be the IPR. It was sticking. I chased all sorts of wrong solutions before I figured it out. I finally ran AE on it one afternoon and noticed at idle at a stop light, the DC was 1.55%. Changed the IPR and its been great ever since.
Good idea. I'll take a closer look at my IPR this next time. I did get a code for ICP higher than desired so that could possibly point to a sticky IPR issue. Hmmmmm....

Yeah, I am sorta hoping that my power issue is partially due to the excessive oil temps. I am still pretty sure that my injectors aren't tip top but I was seeing about 25 psi of boost on the serious hills so there is a little bit of me that wonders if weak injectors can make that much boost?

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
FYI a new radiator with internal trans cooler from Ford is only $200.
You dealer must love you.
My dealer wants over $400 for that thing.