View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you aren't interested in changing your tune then you have another option to look into.
DashDAQ from Drew Technologies

It's basically a scan tool with a customizable interface that can monitor stuff (gauges). Check out posts #29 and #33 of this link for photos
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...uge-or-ae.html

When you say "Digital vs Analog", I presume you are referring to how the information is displayed compared to "Electric vs Mechanical" which is how the information is transmitted. These days, most analog gauges are electric which basically means the information is transmitted exactly the same as digital gauges so I don't expect to see any difference in accuracy. The difference would be in how the electrical signal is processed and then converted into some sort of visual representation of the measurement. Because of the variety of methods of processing the electrical signal, the readings are going to vary by product to product. However, they all should be fairly close to each other so it's not really a big issue.

If your question is should you get a digital number readout or round gauge with increments and a needle....then that comes down to personal preference. For me, it's very hard to look at a digital readout unless the number is really small such as volts (14.1 for example). My eyes would freak out trying to monitor HPOP for example because the number would always be changing and my brain wants it to stay still for a second so I can read the number. My eyes prefer the analog style of readouts since I have to think less.

Since I am somewhat familiar with these engines, I have a fairly good idea what numbers to expect for the various functions but other drivers may not. If someone else is driving my truck for whatever reason and they are towing something heavy then it would be easier for them to monitor the gauges because some of them have the danger zone clearly labeled (ISSPRO Pyro for example). The Dash Daq can do the same thing....
But a digital readout doesn't really communicate anything special. Meaning, 1100 degrees looks about the same as 1400 degrees so whoever is driving my truck won't know that anything is wrong unless the gauge also has some sort of alarm feature.

My wife's truck has analog type gauges (Autometer) and she asked me to mark them with a thin piece of pin striping tape (yellow and red) so she can know if something is approaching the danger zone. If her truck had a digital readout, she would completely ignore the gauge because she won't know what any of the numbers mean. It's even easier for her when she tows with my truck because I have the temp gauges in the A-pillar pod and the pressure gauges on my F650 dash. So, she knows to keep the temp gauges low and the pressure gauges high and things will be golden.

Again, it just comes down to what you like and how you like to drive. Hopefully we all have given you some good options to consider.

Congrats on your first post!