Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Disc brake conversion kis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/955030-disc-brake-conversion-kis.html)

fiftysixfordf250 05-06-2010 09:02 PM

Disc brake conversion kis

Anyone out there have any thoughts to share on the various disc brake conversion kits out there? I'm checking out one that speedway sells. so far they are the cheapest I have found. I want to save but I want quality too. I suspect a lot of companies probably get these kits from the same place. For clarification, I am talking about the ones that fit on the straight axle. I was going with ifs, but I have to scale back a bit. it's not the money...it's the time.

dongc1 05-06-2010 10:28 PM

I used ECI for mine. Fit like a glove. They work great.

Julies Cool F1 05-07-2010 01:46 AM

There's discussions on file for the many threads that have discussed Disc Brake Conversions. I would try the search function to see if you can dig any up.

Herre are a couple I copied:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...new-drums.html

Ya have to scroll down to get to the disc part.

SVT-F100 05-07-2010 01:52 AM

I have had my truck for just over a month. I spent most of my time cleaning and derusting. I have a paycheck coming up next week and going to do my brakes.

I searched different sites that have complete packages the past month. I drove up to Vintage Fords (Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts, Inc. • 888-Ford-100) in Rancho Cordova CA a couple weeks ago inquiring about this upgrade. Most places that I have found do complete kits with power and equipment. Vintage fords splits it up. They have the equipment package for 399 (kit includes caliper mounting brackets, bearing spacers, mounting hardware, top quality American made rotors, rebuilt calipers with new pads, caliper mounting bolts, inner and outer bearings, hoses and new seals. Mounts to stock Ford truck spindles.)
Then for 425 you get the power parts. And from what the guy at the store told me these two kits combined are meant to cover you end to end for an upgrade.

825 was the best price I found.

55F250 05-07-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by fiftysixfordf250 (Post 8859704)
Anyone out there have any thoughts to share on the various disc brake conversion kits out there? I'm checking out one that speedway sells. so far they are the cheapest I have found. I want to save but I want quality too. I suspect a lot of companies probably get these kits from the same place. For clarification, I am talking about the ones that fit on the straight axle. I was going with ifs, but I have to scale back a bit. it's not the money...it's the time.

Going by your name,fiftysixfordf250, are you talking about something for a 8 lug set up?:confused:

fiftysixfordf250 05-07-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by 55F250 (Post 8860602)
Going by your name,fiftysixfordf250, are you talking about something for a 8 lug set up?:confused:

I have an F100 shortbed frame that I am setting up to put my cab on. I am hoping to sell some or all of my F250 stuff once my cab is swapped over.

bill henry 05-07-2010 09:36 AM

:-winkGOT MINE FROM ECI,worked great.:-X05

rhopper 05-07-2010 10:00 PM

My son just purchased a complete front disc kit and boosted dual mc from Classic Performance Products for his 59 Chevy Apache. I was very impressed with the quality of the entire kit. Parts were all good quality and everything fit.

vbarker 05-07-2010 10:07 PM

I got my brakes and rotors from Speedway Motors and Power Booster & MC from Classic Performance. Both are great quality and fit good. A lot cheaper than Sacramento Vintage.

firstrider 05-07-2010 10:20 PM

ECI on the 1ST-RIDE . So simple even a cave man can do it !!!! CORRECTION !!! A cave man couldn't read .

tardster 05-08-2010 01:48 AM

I got mine from Classic Performance Products, to me the hardess part was when I had to relocate the grease nipple thingie or whatever you want to call it for the king pins other than that it took a whooping 30 minutes to do. I have had mine on for a month or so with no probs at all.

Steve_B 05-08-2010 01:58 AM

I used the speedway kit, It is made by CPP
My only small complaint is that they don't include the flexible lines.

tardster 05-08-2010 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_B (Post 8864031)
I used the speedway kit, It is made by CPP
My only small complaint is that they don't include the flexible lines.

Mine came with everything in it for $649.00 plus shipping, heres a link if you want to check it out... Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

69supercj 05-10-2010 02:54 PM

So with this kit from Classic, what do you do about mounting the booster rod to the brake pedal and do you have to change pedals so you dont have too much or too little leverage?

tardster 05-10-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 69supercj (Post 8871786)
So with this kit from Classic, what do you do about mounting the booster rod to the brake pedal and do you have to change pedals so you dont have too much or too little leverage?

All i had to do was bolt it to the pedal. I didnt have to change anything, just adjust it so there isnt too much/little pedal movement. The directions will have all that info in it though...