Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   LED Light Bar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1159917-led-light-bar.html)

Thomas D. 05-05-2012 11:11 AM

LED Light Bar

I'm looking at the 30" Vision X low profile LED Light Bar. Want to install it in the top of my 2011 SD grill. Catalog dimensions say it will fit. Just wondering who out there has already done this install on their "C Clamp" grill. Any pics or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Thomas D. 05-06-2012 10:39 AM

Really. I can't possibly be the first one to consider this installation. Has anyone used the Vision X Light Bars at all. The online rep. says they can customize the bar to use 10 degree LED's in the center and 40 degree LED's outboard. Any suggestions. Guess they also have a Dimming option now too.

shaneinga 05-06-2012 11:59 AM

I have an led light bar that goes under my tail gate, between the bumper. Hooks into the trailer lights and lights when I brake, turn, etc. I don't think I have ever seen one where you are trying to put it.

LEDs are easy, what exactly is your question? If you like it, get it.

In my experience I would not spend more than 50 bucks on any of the aftermarket light bars, unless they come with a warranty. My first one I spent over a hundred on, the side where the wires come in completely shorted out.

My next one was 50 bucks off amazon, and I sealed it where the wires came in.

If this shorts out, it will be the last one I buy.

shaneinga 05-06-2012 12:05 PM

Ultimate LED Truck Grille Kit LED Truck Lighting

wizardsr 05-06-2012 12:51 PM

Wow. The last 2 posts are like the blind leading the blind! :-X19 The visionX light bars are off road lights (forward illumination), they're ridiculously bright! They're not cheap china made accent lights. Not sure how the visionx lights mount, or if they'll fit in the 2011 grille, but it sounds like a fun project! :-X22

Firefighter 1406 05-06-2012 01:02 PM

I have seen a couple guys in the raptor forum go that route but no superdutys though. Excited to see it though.

pbeering 05-06-2012 07:12 PM

From the spec sheet on their website, it should work. Mount the light in the grill wherever you can being sure to leave aiming clearance. Check your local laws for height restrictions for on-road use.

I would run the wire in loom up,the hood along the driver's side and tie off on the truck loom over the upfitter/pass through bundle. I would use one of the heavier upfitter switches.

When you install this, take step by step pictures to share here.

Rigid has a low profile bar too. None are particularly friendly on the checkbook....

Gordon-0 05-06-2012 08:43 PM

those vision x lights are ridiculously bright.
lets see what you come up with.

fireball318 05-06-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by shaneinga (Post 11799109)
I have an led light bar that goes under my tail gate, between the bumper. Hooks into the trailer lights and lights when I brake, turn, etc. I don't think I have ever seen one where you are trying to put it.

LEDs are easy, what exactly is your question? If you like it, get it.

In my experience I would not spend more than 50 bucks on any of the aftermarket light bars, unless they come with a warranty. My first one I spent over a hundred on, the side where the wires come in completely shorted out.

My next one was 50 bucks off amazon, and I sealed it where the wires came in.

If this shorts out, it will be the last one I buy.

50 bucks x 14 = vision x light bar

jdadamsjr 05-06-2012 10:29 PM

Just asking the same questions in the 6.7 forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11799973

my stepsons raptor has the rigid industries and they are BRIGHT !

on edit - sorry - wasn't looking for dress up - am more interested in light for night drives in the boonies :)

Thomas D. 05-07-2012 09:57 AM

Yes, off road use only (wink, wink). Actually, I plow and want some moose lights for my winter, night time trips to Anchorage. Couldn't find small enough profile lights on the Rigid site. The Vision X rep returned the information to me immediately. Was hoping I wasn't the first to do this. The Vision X mounting bracket only show a 15 degree adjustment from horizontal and I really wanted a rear mount on the back side of the grill. Appreciate the responses. This will be the first time I use the "Up Fitter Switches" also. Will be making the decision to order this week. Another bonus was Free Shipping to Alaska & Canada. That's something that is almost never seen. Pics provided upon installation. Will still take any suggestions out there.

majkthreads 05-07-2012 12:55 PM

This rigid light bar 20" SR-Series Hybrid LED Light bar

I slightly slimmer than the vision x.

I have a 20" combo from Rigid that I'm currently mounting on my 12 F250

I run a 6" rigid on my atv and have two more I'm adding to the other two atv's. I don't have any experience with vision x but I've heard good things about them.

Thomas D. 05-09-2012 09:52 AM

.Hhmmm....... Ok, now rethinking and looking at the LED's. For some reason I didn't find those the first time around. Thanks for the Link.:-drink

jdadamsjr 05-09-2012 11:25 AM

The rigid are pricy, but they were designed for military use from what I've heard....

so overbuilt :)

TXtinct 05-09-2012 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can get the 30" for right at 400.00 shipped if I have a group buy of 4 or more. Not rigid but still a really good really bright light. The 30" is the second one down.