Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Repairing FICM harness connectors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047934-repairing-ficm-harness-connectors.html)

Piolet 03-08-2011 08:42 PM

Repairing FICM harness connectors

Trying to do a bunch of stuff to rule out problems before I may have to face up to an injector (engine knocks, especially when rpms drop as engine goes into 5th gear.)

One FICM connector was broken and tried a zip tie repair. Didn't work.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...30811_0002.jpg

I found these 3 replacement connectors. Each is $30+/-.
Anybody know which is which? Are they for X1, X2 & X3?
Has anybody done the swap? Looks like it could be a royal pain.

2003-2009 International VT365 FICM Connector part ap0018
2003-2009 International VT365 FICM Connector part ap0019
2003-2009 International VT365 FICM Connector part ap0020

Then I find 3C3Z-9D930-AA for $71.
Is this the whole FICM harness? I can't get a picture.

Is 3C3Z-12B637-BA the whole harness? I see that for $240.

I can't find a good photo or description of these items online and I can't get down to dealer parts dept for a few days.

mrwrench 03-08-2011 08:57 PM

change the harness > ebay $90

High Binder 03-08-2011 09:18 PM

Which part is broken? It looks like the clip from the male portion is still there.

I've seen a lot of connectors that have turned green from corrosion and lost continuity because of the corrosion, could that be your problem?

Piolet 03-08-2011 09:36 PM

I really don't know what the problem is. I don't have scan equipment or code reader tool yet ... although tax rebate comes in soon!!

The truck has no CEL and starts fine. Then it shakes at idle. Shake somewhat noticeable when driving. Shake EXTREMELY noticeable when speed is around 45mph and rpm's drop back to 1,100ish ... so I guess it's going into 5th.

Took everything apart again today. All pins were fine and connectors were clean. This was the only thing I could point to.

Rev-X is on its way in the mail as we speak. I hope that may help. Right now the truck is a giant paper weight.

Does a FICM loose it's programing if it sat around disconnected from the vehicle for about 2 weeks in the cold?

iduger 03-08-2011 10:09 PM

Go on ebay entire ficm harness 100.00. or try salvage yard found mine 25.00.

m-chan68 03-08-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Piolet (Post 10070545)
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...30811_0002.jpg

Then I find 3C3Z-9D930-AA for $71.
Is this the whole FICM harness? I can't get a picture.
3C3Z-9D930-AA is the whole FICM harness, which includes the connectors to all eight injectors, the two main connectors to the FICM (cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7 and cylinders 2, 3, 5 & 8) and the main FICM ground eyelet on the rearmost intake manifold stud on the driver side.

Is 3C3Z-12B637-BA the whole harness? I see that for $240.
3C3Z-12B637-BA is the entire engine harness that connects everything together on the engine, which includes the following: A/C compressor clutch switch, the green and black GPCM connectors, the main positive lead to the passenger side battery, the alternator connector as well as the positive terminal, the EOP & EOT, the VGT, IPR & ICP, fan clutch, EGR valve, ECT, EBP (even though it's useless on 2003 engines), IAT #2, the third FICM connector, the middle PCM connector, the two main connectors to the frame harness and last but not least, the CKP & CMP. By the way, for $240 that's cheap.

I hope the text in red is helpful enough.

Piolet 03-08-2011 10:35 PM

Thank you Sir!!
Huge help!

High Binder 03-08-2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Piolet (Post 10070812)
I really don't know what the problem is. I don't have scan equipment or code reader tool yet ... although tax rebate comes in soon!!

The truck has no CEL and starts fine. Then it shakes at idle. Shake somewhat noticeable when driving. Shake EXTREMELY noticeable when speed is around 45mph and rpm's drop back to 1,100ish ... so I guess it's going into 5th.

Took everything apart again today. All pins were fine and connectors were clean. This was the only thing I could point to.

Rev-X is on its way in the mail as we speak. I hope that may help. Right now the truck is a giant paper weight.

Does a FICM loose it's programing if it sat around disconnected from the vehicle for about 2 weeks in the cold?

Kinda sounds like an ICP issue with the shaking at speed. Mine did a little jerking around 60-70mph and the new ICP fixed that.

The ficm (unless something else happened) will keep it's program.

Rev-X will help if it's an injector problem but it's just a band-aid. I run it and love it but I know it's just a matter of time before I'm back into it putting in new injectors.

Piolet 03-08-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by High Binder (Post 10071031)
Kinda sounds like an ICP issue.

That's what started all this. I just replaced the ICP and connector.
The oil leak's gone and the rpm's have settled down.
Maybe I messed up splicing the connector :confused:

Boy that would suck. Hopefully its sunny on Saturday.

High Binder 03-08-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Piolet (Post 10071060)
That's what started all this. I just replaced the ICP and connector.
The oil leak's gone and the rpm's have settled down.
Maybe I messed up splicing the connector :confused:

Boy that would suck. Hopefully its sunny on Saturday.

?Maybe. You mentioned that you don't have a scanner so it's going to be hard to tell. I watch my ICP on my scangauge to make sure it's reading but I don't know if there is a trick to figuring out if it's reading without a scanner???

May be time to get a scangauge and see where it's at. I dunno but your symptoms sound like mine when I had the ICP going out. I got a scanguage off Amazon.com for $200-ish (don't remember exactly) but it was one of the best buys I've ever made for a car.

bismic 03-09-2011 05:30 AM

I can't recall - I assume your truck is an '03 or early '04?

Piolet 03-09-2011 07:41 AM

Early '03. ICP at rear of engine.

I'll shameless plug my last overly descriptive post on this ...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html
..... this is the full story. :-tap

If an injector(s) didn't just stick or fail over night then I think I must have messed something up I guess. Maybe I was too rough with the harness when I had it pulled back to do the splicing. :confused:

This weekend I'm going to splurge on an Edge insight CTS.

I hate posting without being able to supply parameters. Plus it'll finally give me some of the gauges I should be viewing too.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

rocky1074 03-09-2011 11:21 AM

Parts guy ed has the FICM Harness 3C3Z-9D930-AA 70.87

www.partsguyed.com

Piolet 03-11-2011 10:42 PM

Working again!!

Problem solved.

Spent a good hour today online trying to price harnesses, or connectors, looking to get a scan tool, thinking I'd have to get injector(s), trying to figure out how I might pay for it all. Feeling pretty down.

Went outside to redo my work just one more time, just in case, and found the connector on the injector closest to the firewall wasn't on properly :-X19

Thankfully the clip was still on it.

Plugged it in and now it runs just fine. ICP done! 3 weeks later!!! :-drink