Conversation Between andym and WarWagon6.0
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. WarWagon6.0
    10-12-2015 06:06 AM - permalink
    Hey Andy, Yes, I am running a Reese dual cam/weight distribution set up and have been bobbing and weaving around the country with it since the truck was new. Now I know. Thanks. Will be accumulating the parts over the next couple of months for the upgrade. So, do you run airbags in the rear also? Regards -Frank
  2. andym
    10-11-2015 07:51 PM - permalink
    This suspension handles the load like a champ. It really does. It increased the ride height in the front by about 3/4" and in the rear by an 1". It does sit noticeably higher than stock and some people will think it's lifted.

I have no airbags installed and have no plans to do so. The rig sits level both loaded and unloaded. The only suspension mods are the springs, the Hellwig anti-sway bar, and the Bilstein shocks.

I really can't say enough good things about how well this thing handles and tows. I'm impressed with it every time I drive it.
  3. andym
    10-11-2015 07:51 PM - permalink
    Yes, I also changed the front leaf springs. It's actually very important to do, especially with a diesel, because the front springs tend to be worn out after ~15 years and from being the soft springs that they were to begin with.

The front suspension becomes even more important with a travel trailer of this size because you're also going to be running a weight distributing hitch, which of course transfers some of the weight of the trailer to the front suspension of the tow vehicle (not sure if you knew that - the mechanics and engineering of it is interesting). With the stock suspension and a WD hitch, a big trailer like this would really be hard to handle IMO. Having experienced only the difference between the stock suspension empty and the V/B codes empty, I cannot even imagine how awful it would be to tow a trailer of any meaningful weight with a stock Ex.
  4. WarWagon6.0
    10-11-2015 06:45 PM - permalink
    The mod part of the springs is this: take the bottom two leaves out of the excursion spring pack and put them in the B spring pack. This will level out the truck. If you don't, you'll need to use a 4" block. Yuck.

Thanks Andy, are you also running airbags in the rear or not? Did you change the front leaf springs? Regards -Frank