Conversation Between subford and ibradshaw
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. subford
    06-09-2014 11:14 AM - permalink
    Sounds like you may have a bad ground or bad wiring under the relays on the drivers fender.
    As you know when you ground the fuel pump relay coil (not shorting it to pin #2) at the self-test plug you are bypassing the computer and the computer ground at the NEG post of the battery.
  2. ibradshaw
    06-08-2014 08:50 AM - permalink
    Hello again subford. Its been awhile but I still have the truck. Its a 89 f150 5.0 fuel injected auto. Like most other people money is tight and I havent bought a ecm for my truck yet but I have tested some other things. The main thing I did was stick a computer from a taurus in my truck and it cranked up acted like it was running on 6 cylinders but STILL did the same thing which was dying at idle. Would this eliminate my computer being bad? Also the connector that can be used with a jumper wire to make the fuel pump run doesnt work sometimes. I opened the computer up and found nothing that stood out. When the truck is going down the road it never quits. I previously stated that it did but that only happens when it acts up. I put a distibutor from a known running truck with no help. Ive changed relays with no help. Is there a way to check the computer without having to buy a new one? I have a company vehicle so I dont drive it much at all but its to good of truck to throw away
  3. subford
    02-02-2014 09:53 PM - permalink
    Sounds like a bad ECM Computer.
  4. ibradshaw
    02-02-2014 07:42 PM - permalink
    Hello subford. I have been trolling this website for awhile now with not so much luck. I have a 89 f150 ext cab long bed 4x4 5.0 efi auto. Main problem is very irratically the truck dies. Wether it is idling or going it just quits. The high pressure pump keeps running for along time when this happens if the key is left on. After it quits and the key turns off the main pump will not come back on for awhile. When I do hear the main pump start pumping it cranks up and runs for about 10 to 15 seconds and dies. It does this 2 or 3 times and then it is fine. This has happened quite a few times but has always repeated this general process. I have pulled codes and the best I can remember is the ect and tps sensor. It did overheat once due to a faulty hose and after that it has idled kinda high say around 1400 or so, sometimes more. It has never left me stranded for more that 15 minutes but is rather annoying at a major intersection red light. Please help if you can. Thanks