Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and calebakke
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    04-02-2015 06:04 AM - permalink
    If you want a trans that will live with a chip $3000-$4000 is about right. You can swap with one already built or replace the one you have, I don't see the difference.
  2. calebakke
    04-01-2015 10:05 PM - permalink
    Well. A rebuild is NOT in my budget but I really appreciate the expert advice. Good thing I have a little beater Focus I can drive until I save up the few grand. I'm not sure this is something for someone who's never done a trane rebuild before should do. (I watched the 4r100 video on YouTube- pretty good vid but I'm not an expert like he is) I'm anticipating a cost of about $3000-$4000. Does that sound about right? Should I just consider a whole different trans like I saw someone else suggested in the post about the bad manual diode? I'll stop bugging you with all the follow up questions, hard not to ask when you got someone who's an expert that's willing to respond.
  3. Mark Kovalsky
    04-01-2015 08:27 PM - permalink
    Yes, I do.
  4. calebakke
    04-01-2015 05:48 PM - permalink
    Update- I turned my chip back to stock today. It got worse. It did however allow me to do a better job of taking more accurate notes. So it fails to shift from 1-2. There is no free Reving like I previously thought. Pure and simple- it fails to shift only from first into second. If I turn the chip back on my low setting, it will shift if I baby it. I have noticed I can take off fast and then let off a little for it to shift and then it's fine. Oh, and it happens at 20mph not 30. Not that it matters. Thanks for the previous input, do you still feel it's the same diagnosis?
  5. Mark Kovalsky
    04-01-2015 11:15 AM - permalink
    My guess is that you have a clutch on it's way out. If I'm right this will get worse until it won't engage that gear any longer. There is nothing you can do to fix this short of a rebuild.
  6. calebakke
    04-01-2015 10:35 AM - permalink
    Hey Mark, I'm sure you get bugged plenty but since you seem like THE expert,I thought I'd try to get a little free advice. I have a 99 7.3 with the auto. trans. My issue is that about once a day my trans fails to shift. The trans is plenty warm when it does this. It seems as though it's failing 2nd-3rd. I'm not sure though because i'm usually not paying attention until it happens. It could be 1st-2nd. Its at about 30mph and driving as a normal driver would. I have a chip from ts performance that is set on its lowest setting but this doesn't seem to play a factor. Anyhow, back to the issue- I take off from a stop (like I said it only happens 1 time on any given trip) it seems like it makes it's first shift, goes into second and then just hangs there. If I give it more throttle it just revs up a little, if I give it more it seems to just totally slip and rev. Once I let off the pedal and ease back into it, everything is fine and it doesn't repeat it for the rest of the drive. Thoughts?