6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any Common 6.2L problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM
buster0392
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach_Bob
I've got about 7000kms on a 6.2, and figure 6500 of those KMs is with a trailer of some sort hooked up.

I went from a 6.0 diesel to the 6.2 and don't miss the diesel at all. Good strong engine; transmission seems ok, although it seems to rev higher than I'd prefer under load.

Probably the most concerning thing to me so far is the oil life monitoring system. Given the fact that I'm towing all the time, I keep thinking I'm due for an oil change...the truck thinks the oil is down to 69% now... that means 20,000 km (13,000 miles) between oil changes on an engine that is always towing... sure hope it knows what its doing...
I made the same move. do a lot of towing and changing oil every 5k at the most no matter what that oil thing says. don't miss the 6.0 either, except on steep hills.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Goza
New User
Common Problem: Wiring Harness Connector attached to Parking Brake?

This thread was created to record common problems with the F250, 6.2L. I won't go into the full details of my troubles since they are all laid out in the thread titled, "PCM Relay? Truck won't start" . By the way, it doesn't appear to be the PCM relay but I don't know how to change the title.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-start.html

Prior to my current problem which started about month ago, I put 40,000 miles on my 2014 250 Lariat with about 18,000 miles of that 40k towing a 9,000 pound fifth wheel RV all over the country. I crossed every mountain range in this country towing that RV and never had the first bit of a problem. I praised the truck to anyone who would listen. It is a different story today though. I wish I had kept up with the names of those I talked to about the truck so I could warn them about my current problem. It's bad karma to convince someone to buy something which proves out to be a poor decision.

The best guess, is that my problem and that of a few others on here, is the Wiring Harness connector which someone at Ford foolishly decided to mount on the Parking Brake assembly bracket (think of the vibrations it receives when the brake is released,,,smart design uh?) After using the brake extensively on my swing through the western states, my truck shut down with a false "engine overtemp". When that message shows up, the truck shuts down and won't restart. After much searching by my dealership and me searching online, the best guess is the harness connector.

I've rambled on too long, but this connector is a common problem but since the message depends on which pin in the connector is having a problem, people are not being able to see the commonality.

As much as I love my Truck (named Freedom), I am shopping Chevy and Dodge sites just in case.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goza
This thread was created to record common problems with the F250, 6.2L. I won't go into the full details of my troubles since they are all laid out in the thread titled, "PCM Relay? Truck won't start". By the way, it doesn't appear to be the PCM relay but I don't know how to change the title.

Prior to my current problem which started about month ago, I put 40,000 miles on my 2014 250 Lariat with about 18,000 miles of that 40k towing a 9,000 pound fifth wheel RV all over the country. I crossed every mountain range in this country towing that RV and never had the first bit of a problem. I praised the truck to anyone who would listen. It is a different story today though. I wish I had kept up with the names of those I talked to about the truck so I could warn them about my current problem. It's bad karma to convince someone to buy something which proves out to be a poor decision.

The best guess, is that my problem and that of a few others on here, is the Wiring Harness connector which someone at Ford foolishly decided to mount on the Parking Brake assembly bracket (think of the vibrations it receives when the brake is released,,,smart design uh?) After using the brake extensively on my swing through the western states, my truck shut down with a false "engine overtemp". When that message shows up, the truck shuts down and won't restart. After much searching by my dealership and me searching online, the best guess is the harness connector.

I've rambled on too long, but this connector is a common problem but since the message depends on which pin in the connector is having a problem, people are not being able to see the commonality.

As much as I love my Truck (named Freedom), I am shopping Chevy and Dodge sites just in case.

you should probably link to your thread. This doesn't sound to be a common issue. I can also say that any time on a dodge or Chevy site will reveal these kinds of issues. What is your warranty status and what id the dealers' resolution plan? Status of notifying corporate?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Goza
New User
Common Problem? Yes, I think so, but time will tell.

I think I edited it correctly and added the link.

Truck is out of warranty when it passed 30k miles.

I went to the Official Chevy and Dodge sites to see how much money I will lose by trading in my Ford for one of theirs, not to seek a mechanical solution to my problem from their site. You implied those sites were saying what was wrong with my truck. The "solution?" to my problem was located on this Ford Forum site. Several threads has similar problems, but the harness connector/parking brake only presented itself recently. I sent it to my dealership which was throwing their hands up in despair at not being able to solve the problem. The dealership has no resolution plan. They simply said drive it to see if the problem comes back. If it comes back and shuts my truck down while towing my RV on a two lane road with blind curves and no shoulders it could be very dangerous. Ironically, reliability is the reason I bought the Ford in the first place. Nothing was mentioned about kicking it up to corporate level although I may attempt that myself.

It is a darn good truck except for it's current unreliability at starting.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
anything made by Man.. cannot be 100 percent reliable...

my 2012 has 137,000 trouble free miles.. hopefully many more

as for the connector... cut one wire at a time and solder it to its mate ...

Old 08-30-2015, 06:42 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Goza
I think I edited it correctly and added the link.

Truck is out of warranty when it passed 30k miles.

I went to the Official Chevy and Dodge sites to see how much money I will lose by trading in my Ford for one of theirs, not to seek a mechanical solution to my problem from their site. You implied those sites were saying what was wrong with my truck. The "solution?" to my problem was located on this Ford Forum site. Several threads has similar problems, but the harness connector/parking brake only presented itself recently. I sent it to my dealership which was throwing their hands up in despair at not being able to solve the problem. The dealership has no resolution plan. They simply said drive it to see if the problem comes back. If it comes back and shuts my truck down while towing my RV on a two lane road with blind curves and no shoulders it could be very dangerous. Ironically, reliability is the reason I bought the Ford in the first place. Nothing was mentioned about kicking it up to corporate level although I may attempt that myself.

It is a darn good truck except for it's current unreliability at starting.
First of all, I apologize for the unclearness of my message, I was typing on mobile, and since these Forums don't like to use the standard Tapatalk system but their own set up, it leaves us Windows Mobile users up a creek without a paddle when no mobile form of the site is made for us. All I can do is type, without being able to see what I typed until after i hit submit.

I see in the thread you're at 43K, have you contacted Ford Corporate for any good will repair. You were very close to the 36K basic warranty, you might get some help in exchange for not putting this very dangerous safety situation into every media outlet you can.

Next, I wasn't implying to use the Chevy/Dodge forms to repair your truck. What I meant is you'll see the competition isn't fairing much better. Chevy/GMC is having the entire trucks go dark because of faulty MyLink head units (costing 1,800$ for replacement out of warranty). Dodge is having random shutoffs on the 2015 5.7's (new PCM was introduced on that model year) and the 3.0 ecodiesels are going through DPF's left and right. Believe me I've been researching because I think my next truck will be a GMC 1500, but the fact is we have too much tech happening too fast to meet impossible EPA mandates. We've become beta testers paying 50K for the privilege. On the GM Twins heavy duty trucks, watch for electrical problems on the 6.0 and vibrations that GM can't magically resolve. It's completely random as to the truck it happens to.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
I see this thread is pretty old, I just like to bring life back to it and ask those 6.2l owners if you still enjoy your truck if you have it....those who were complaining that Diesels cost more on fuel are you still glad you changed over? I know out here in California these days Diesel is almost 30cents or more cheaper and has been for quite sometime. Any ways not trying to stir the pot but to each their own on your purpose for gas or diesel and I for one will never own a gas truck again. Even with the higher maintenance costs I still prefer that smell of Diesel!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 AM
dwh039
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
I see this thread is pretty old, I just like to bring life back to it and ask those 6.2l owners if you still enjoy your truck if you have it....those who were complaining that Diesels cost more on fuel are you still glad you changed over? I know out here in California these days Diesel is almost 30cents or more cheaper and has been for quite sometime. Any ways not trying to stir the pot but to each their own on your purpose for gas or diesel and I for one will never own a gas truck again. Even with the higher maintenance costs I still prefer that smell of Diesel!
Roughly 180,000 on my 2011 f250 6.2. Pretty much had zero issues up until recently. Experiencing a slight cold start issue when ambient temperature is below 0 degrees Celsius. More of a inconvenience, since the truck will always start. Just stumbles a bit initially on startup. Other than that, just routine maintenance done. Most of my miles are driven on country side roads eating dust and mud, so the motor hasn't had a plush city life. Found the 6.2 to be ten times more reliable than any diesel truck I've owned. Can't see going back to a diesel powered 3/4 ton. If I have to pull anything heavier than what the 6.2 can handle, it gets hooked onto tractor unit that can handle the weight. Hear to many guys bragging about the weight they can pull with the 6.7, funny you never hear about how well they stop or take a cross wind.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:42 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by dwh039
Roughly 180,000 on my 2011 f250 6.2. Pretty much had zero issues up until recently. Experiencing a slight cold start issue when ambient temperature is below 0 degrees Celsius. More of a inconvenience, since the truck will always start. Just stumbles a bit initially on startup. Other than that, just routine maintenance done. Most of my miles are driven on country side roads eating dust and mud, so the motor hasn't had a plush city life. Found the 6.2 to be ten times more reliable than any diesel truck I've owned. Can't see going back to a diesel powered 3/4 ton. If I have to pull anything heavier than what the 6.2 can handle, it gets hooked onto tractor unit that can handle the weight. Hear to many guys bragging about the weight they can pull with the 6.7, funny you never hear about how well they stop or take a cross wind.
Maybe you're due for the second set of plugs if you haven't changed them yet. Plugs can really make a difference in the cold.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM
dwh039
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Good listener
Maybe you're due for the second set of plugs if you haven't changed them yet. Plugs can really make a difference in the cold.
Plugs done about 30,000 ago, so should still be good.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:06 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
32,000mi. and had to have a noisy pulley changed, that is all.
A boring truck to own after owning an "06" 6.0!

Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost 15k. Only minor problems were a defective clock spring and a frayed hood release cable. Both replaced under warranty. Very happy with truck!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
Where I am diesel is still 20 cents per gallon higher than 87 gas on average. I don't do any towing/heavy hauling any more & have sold my 6.2 F250 & trailers. I had absolutely no issues with my 6.2 before I sold it.

I have no intention on going back to diesel. It's simply not worth it to me.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2015 F250 6.2 with 13k miles and not a problem. But here in Dallas Diesel is 30-40 cents higher than 87. I love diesels with a passion but it's nice to fill up for less than 50 dollars and oil changes are a lot cheaper and don't have to worry about fuel filters. But I do miss the power and tq of my 2010 F350 6.4L.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:31 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
I have owned both gas and diesels.
Both have their fans.
For me, gas is king.
I am so over ever owning another diesel.
Its not just that diesel itself costs more.
Or the added maintenance costs.
The exhaust fluid required.
The extra insurance cost.
For me its reliability.
My employees drive the poor pickups hard.
My trucks work hard.
Carry ridiculously heavy loads.
Tow heavy trailers.
And do so often on bad roads.
Being so stuck a 12000 warn winch will not move it.
The 6.2 engines have run flawlessly.
Start good even in winter not plugged in.
Regular and relatively cheap maintenance keeps them going.
I am a fan!

Quick Reply: Any Common 6.2L problems?