6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any Common 6.2L problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:17 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
When I need something durability tested i just let 100 or so employees use it.....if they don't break it then you know its tough.
So far they have not had a single issue with any of the 6.2 or the 5.0 engines in the multiple company trucks.
They could destroy my previous chevy and toyota pickups quickly and easily.
My Dodge hemi trucks seem to also be ultra reliable.
But so far the Dodge tru ks are all lower mileage which helps. The most on a 2016 Dodge of mine yet is a measly 81400.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
This is very true. My father n law and I were talking just yesterday about this. He works for a CAT dealer. They have a fleet of 100+ vehicles, all fords, ranging from escapes to f650's. They receive impeccable service and maintenance. About 12 years ago(notice the time line with the 6.0) new management came in and the decision was made to go bow tie. He said within the second year, there were 6 GM crate motors sitting in one of the bays, all at the same time. They could not keep front ends under the trucks. Needless to say, there are nothing but fords there again. They've had an issue or two with some ford diesels, but nothing like the chevys. The only time they have had the heads off a gas truck in the last 5 years or so was valve problems on a 5.0, and its oil coolers and radiator were clogged with mud from the mines. They run most of these vehicles to 250-300k, in under 5 years.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:45 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Ron94150
This is very true. My father n law and I were talking just yesterday about this. He works for a CAT dealer. They have a fleet of 100+ vehicles, all fords, ranging from escapes to f650's. They receive impeccable service and maintenance. About 12 years ago(notice the time line with the 6.0) new management came in and the decision was made to go bow tie. He said within the second year, there were 6 GM crate motors sitting in one of the bays, all at the same time. They could not keep front ends under the trucks. Needless to say, there are nothing but fords there again. They've had an issue or two with some ford diesels, but nothing like the chevys. The only time they have had the heads off a gas truck in the last 5 years or so was valve problems on a 5.0, and its oil coolers and radiator were clogged with mud from the mines. They run most of these vehicles to 250-300k, in under 5 years.
We sometimes have to go up roads that no vehicle should ever be on.
My staff pound them in and out one way or the other.
The toys and chevs had a serious issue probably ever 5000 to 10000 kms....i don't mean a light bulb out or power window stopped working.
I mean another engine or transmission grenaded, or front end pounded out, driveshaft left on the road, tailgate torn off loading something heavy, frame bent, cab twisted so the door will not open.
I had a fundra 3 days old they tore the tailgate off it....said geez boss we load them into fordsand dodges offen with no issue.
Chevy trucks with front end completely worn out in 30000 kms. Just normal on them.
I can keep my fords 175000 with regular maintenance is all.
My biggest complaints are fords reaf brakes....the mud packs in there and they drag heavy then instead of releasing fully.
So with every oil change we service the brakes to.
The fronts don't have as many problems.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:49 AM
linekin
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last week I bought a '15 F250 Lariat cc srw with the 6.2. Its nice to know that there's remarkably few problems with them after all this time! Comforting to say the least.

Keith

Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Congrats Keith....enjoy your new to you ride!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:38 PM
billbeck63
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reliability

If I was a an American I would not but a diesel due to there emission there
Your not allowed to remove the dpf filter
In Canada it is legal
Only reason i chose a diesel over the 6.2
My company truck was a 6.2 with 300,000 km and no issue except the a\c had a leak

Last edited by billbeck63; 09-08-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 PM
TrishW
New User
Fuel issue?

Ok y’all this truck is always driven in caliche and on roads most will never travel.
Due to no sound and no gas gauge we Changed fuel pump and it ran 1500 miles straight then won’t start again. Now no fuel pump sound an crank but no start. Re drop the tank or can something else be causing the pump to not engage?

Gotta work in the am so 🤦🏻*♀️

Old 03-31-2018, 07:41 AM
Acsvt
New User
Check the ground strap, we had this problem just last week on a 6.2 of ours.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
troubleshoot the problem.. not throw parts at it..

fuel pump relay
broken wire to pump
broken ground to pump
fuses?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Brian Parish
New User

Originally Posted by Front Runner
Well, the 6.2 has been out for a couple of months (along with the 6.7 diesel) and seems to be a great engine that performs very well for those of us who have them.

I would like to see if there are any techs that have seen problems with the 6.2, both widespread and isolated. Is there any feedback from those who have had to work on a 6.2 or service one?

Is there any feedback from any 6.2 owners that are techs or very mechanically inclined who service their own truck? Any noteworthy observations?

This engine seems to be gaining popularity in the Super Duty world since it has replaced the V10 for standard pickup models.

I have received many pm's on this forum and other diesel/ford truck forums from members who are watching the 6.2 very closely, and are considering switching to this engine from a diesel because of the complexity of the new diesels, costs involved with maintenance, and the nature of their use.

Any Thoughts?
My friend and I both bought f250 in January.
he hauls Amish and put 43k miles on his so far.
3 weeks ago it broke down and was running on 2 cylinder. They found there was a fire in the intake from an air leak messed up all kind of things.
ford sent a new motor to be installed but asked the tech to scope the cylinders first and found broken valve springs. They fixed the springs and put back together and it's running. Not sure what caused it but it was FUBAR.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm not following. Ford sent a new motor, but asked them to scope the cylinders of the old motor for what purpose? To try to not use the replacement motor? How would scoping the cylinders turn up broken valve springs. Valve springs are not and could not ever be in the cylinders? Did you mean broken valves? If a valve broke off and was in a cylinder I can't see how that motor could be simply repaired. It would need to be completely rebuilt and I would assume they would have just used the replacement motor which you said Ford had already sent. And running on two cylinders? I've never experienced that but I've had a motor missing on two cylinder and it bucked and jerked and barely ran. Will an eight actually run on only two cylinders?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:30 AM
Brian Parish
New User
They originaly told ford there was no compression in the 2 back cylinders along with the catastrophic failure in the top end.an old tech in the shop told them to check the fuel modular to see if that caused the injector to fail and cause the fire inside the intake manafold.they replaced all the top end parts and it still wouldn't run . So then they Checked compression and re ported to ford. That's when they sent the new motor. We stopped to check progress and they hadn't pulled the old motor yet.that evening they called myfriend and said ford wanted them to scope the engine and then they saw broken valve springs. I watched a utube video with the same problem and the scope showed damage to the top of the piston from the valve but they just replaced the spring and it ran fine .

Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
I follow you now. Thanks for the info. 45k miles and catastrophic top end failure, bummer. I've got over 145k on mine and it regularly sees 6g pulling or empty and it's tuned and exhaust modified with no issues. Maybe I shouldn't flog it so hard though?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:57 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

The 8 trucks at work with a 6.2 in them, range from 54000 kms to 173000 kms, not a single engine problem with any of them so far. Wish I could say the same for the trucks with the 6.7 diesels in them.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Yah mine's at 225,000 kilometres. I generally get incredibly high mileage out of my trucks with no issues. I perform all routine maintenance required and use only fully synthetic oils. My '03 5.4 is about to tick over 300,000kilometres and runs flawlessly with zero repairs. Plugs, oil, filters, brakes and one fuel pump. I'm going to sell that truck off soon though I think and start running my '11 year round. My '11 has never seen a winter but I'm trying to downsize trucks. Hoping to get atleast 300,000+ kilometres out of my 6.2. Always curious when someone reports a problem because it's quite rare it seems. I've has this '11 a few years now and it's definetly my most favourite gas engine I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Any Common 6.2L problems?