1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

anyone put modern bucket seats in their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 AM
wade67
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone put modern bucket seats in their truck?

I'm wondering what bucket seats others have used in their truck. I would like to see pics if you can post some too. I'm starting my search on craigslist for bucket seats and there are quite a few listed.

I would think some of the car buckets might sit too low and require too much modification to make them sit higher. I would like to have something very comfy for long trips with good lumbar support and a power seat option would be cool. At one time I used to own a 96 Ford Explorer SUV that had very comfortable buckets.

Thanks,
Wade

Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 AM
LBF
Senior User
Lincoln

I'm considering using the leather seats out of a Lincoln Mark VIII in my '65 F250. I've been looking for the right parts car to come along for a while now.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
wade67
Junior User
Lincoln seats.... I bet those are big and comfy.

I have been doing some google searches for comfortable buckets and I found one discussion saying that the BMW 745 seats are the most comfortable, some folks might take offense putting beamer seats in an old American classic.
Other things I've read are:
* Mazda 323 seats
* S10 buckets.
* pre-1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LX (luxury) model with power package that includes dual powered/adjustable split front seats
* Mercury Mountaineer

I have no experience with these seats but I wonder if the Mountaineer seats are similar to the Explorer seats.

I guess I should just go around sitting in all the cars/trucks I can to check for comfort. Once I decide on a few seat options I will hold out until I find exactly what I want come up on craigslist or at the local salvage yards.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
here is one route you can go.
my dad built me the brackets that allow me to use the stock ones from the old nasty bench and adapt them. they are fully adjustable, but when it comes to bolting in the inside tracks of the seats to the floor, where you drill those holes needs to be precise. i drew sortof like a blueprint and took many measurements and measured angles that the seat would be sitting. i planned it out and it worked magnificently. there are many seats out there you can go with, but putting a set of mustang buckets that are highly similar to the rare ranger buckets you can get this was the route i wanted to go! the last thing you want in a regular cab truck is to be sitting high up or too far forward with the lumbar like an airplane seat. i like to sit back a little bit and feel like i'm sitting IN the truck and not ON the truck. i am soon going to do new carpet. custom jute rug and extra plush cut pile carpet.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-just-got.html

Old 10-02-2010, 06:22 PM
LBF
Senior User
Mustang Buckets

Yes, that is another good idea.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
wade67
Junior User
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
here is one route you can go.
my dad built me the brackets that allow me to use the stock ones from the old nasty bench and adapt them. they are fully adjustable, but when it comes to bolting in the inside tracks of the seats to the floor, where you drill those holes needs to be precise. i drew sortof like a blueprint and took many measurements and measured angles that the seat would be sitting. i planned it out and it worked magnificently. there are many seats out there you can go with, but putting a set of mustang buckets that are highly similar to the rare ranger buckets you can get this was the route i wanted to go! the last thing you want in a regular cab truck is to be sitting high up or too far forward with the lumbar like an airplane seat. i like to sit back a little bit and feel like i'm sitting IN the truck and not ON the truck. i am soon going to do new carpet. custom jute rug and extra plush cut pile carpet.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-just-got.html
Those seats look great in your truck!
We just went out today for our first trip in the truck since buying it last Sunday. Took a load to the dump and picked up a yard of gravel (1 ton). The truck did fantastic and runs really good. But now my wife says "its a truck, it needs to have a bench seat"! Soooo that means I'm now going to look at my modern bench seat options. Can you get a late model truck bench seat that is close to as comfy as a bucket?
Wade

Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM
DarrellJ
Senior User
I just spent some bucks and had my bench seat re-done in leather. I had it stitched to look stock. Smooth leather on most of it and 'nappy' leather in the seating areas. I haven't installed it yet -- but sitting on it is great -- tempting to use it as a couch!
The guy re-did the springs, put in new foam, etc.
He even put in heated seats! I haven't figured out where I'm going to mount the controls, maybe on a small aluminum panel attached to the lower front cross piece centered over the tranny hump.

darrell

Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
DarkWolf40
Elder User
check out my gallery

Old 10-03-2010, 12:15 PM
durk
Senior User
I used seats from a tempo. Had them covered and used some angle iron for the front and drilled holes in the floor in the back. I also don't have a tank behind them so that is something to consider.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrellJ
I just spent some bucks and had my bench seat re-done in leather. I had it stitched to look stock. Smooth leather on most of it and 'nappy' leather in the seating areas. I haven't installed it yet -- but sitting on it is great -- tempting to use it as a couch!
The guy re-did the springs, put in new foam, etc.
He even put in heated seats! I haven't figured out where I'm going to mount the controls, maybe on a small aluminum panel attached to the lower front cross piece centered over the tranny hump.

darrell
pics please........

Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM
wade67
Junior User
Originally Posted by DarkWolf40
check out my gallery
You know I've heard that some people and their dogs resemble each other! So what breed is the second dog pic?
is it a pomeroodleoberMAN?
LOL
That's a very nice truck you got there, what are those seats out of?
I also like the overdrive set up but would it be less expensive to get a late model AOD tranny to put in it?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 PM
DarrellJ
Senior User
Here's my seat. In my basement. Dark. Lonely.

I'm not sure that the pics show the workmanship off...

The seat:

One of the heater controls:

The seat back with the original chrome bit:

darrell

Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
RANGER589
Senior User
Here's my seat. In my basement. Dark. Lonely.

I'm not sure that the pics show the workmanship off...

The seat:

One of the heater controls:

The seat back with the original chrome bit:

darrell
Nice looking seat bud. Would you be willing to give me a Ball park on what that cost? I need a new seat and I figure if it isn't more expensive than trying to find another newr one that fits I would go the route you took

Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 AM
DarrellJ
Senior User
Hi. I spent too much.
The seat was $25. So far so good. The new chrome bits for the hinges were $40 or something from LMC or DC (I forget where I ordered them).
The upholstery and labour was $1000. That includes the seat heaters.
Ouch. But the end result is sooo cool.
Oh well. I guess it's only money right? This story is echoed in my grill...

darrell

Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
RANGER589
Senior User
Hi. I spent too much.
The seat was $25. So far so good. The new chrome bits for the hinges were $40 or something from LMC or DC (I forget where I ordered them).
The upholstery and labour was $1000. That includes the seat heaters.
Ouch. But the end result is sooo cool.
Oh well. I guess it's only money right? This story is echoed in my grill...

darrell

Ouch is right. Beautiful seat though. If I had the money I'd do it. I need to focus on other stuff on the truck right now. If I put a seat like that in mine it would be like putting lipstick on a pig!

Quick Reply: anyone put modern bucket seats in their truck?