6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

turbo lag???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I have experienced no lag or delay in moving in either my 2011 or 2015 6.7s. Leaving work, I have to pull onto a busy road. Occasionally I have to get on it a little. If I get on it too much, truck does not move at all, rear tires are spinning. Managing the 440hp is a fun problem to have.
YES!!!! Definately a fun problem to have!!!!!!!! Having a couple million miles driving the big rigs with either Cat, Cummins, or Detroit with electronic engine controls in them, I would say that my new 2015 6.7 has the "normal" amount of turbo lag, and I guess that I have learned to anticipate as much as possible when I need to. I have had that "rear tires spinning" problem come up, tho!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Most of this stuff has been said but I'll add a little. The delay in power seems to be part of the programming in both the 6.4L and the 6.7L. After almost getting myself run into making a left turn across traffic 3 or 4 times in the 6.4L I quit trying to do that. The correction was deleting the DPF. Once deleted even in a stock tune the delay was gone. I could turn left and cross in even small gaps and would pin you to the seat on takeoff. I'm confident deleting and tuning would also cure it in the 6.7L.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a '15 model and I came from a 2012 with the 6.2 ........ I would have to say the lag is all in the tune because the gas truck does it as well. It's basically the TQ limiter holding back power which most manufactures have been doing for years with vehicles equipped with a drive by wire. I never tuned my 6.2 but others have and said it improved.

With that being said I have only put 420 miles on my new truck....... The l
"Lag" is there but it's very minor...... I would say from the time I mash the pedal to when it leaves is no more than 1-1.5 seconds.

To me this is normal on a a truck due to the DBW system and not a turbo lag issue.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
I just picked up a '15 model and I came from a 2012 with the 6.2 ........ I would have to say the lag is all in the tune because the gas truck does it as well. It's basically the TQ limiter holding back power which most manufactures have been doing for years with vehicles equipped with a drive by wire. I never tuned my 6.2 but others have and said it improved.

With that being said I have only put 420 miles on my new truck....... The l
"Lag" is there but it's very minor...... I would say from the time I mash the pedal to when it leaves is no more than 1-1.5 seconds.

To me this is normal on a a truck due to the DBW system and not a turbo lag issue.
Amelio- just to put this out there, and for other pre-15 to new '15 upgrading owners: if you had said your 15 was just a little more "laggy" than your pre-15 6.7, it'd be completely explainable by the different turbo setups between the two. The twin scroll wheel in the pre-15 trucks was intended to minimize any "lag", but it ran out of breath on the top end, so Ford went back with a traditional turbo setup on the 15's, which moved more air and made more power on the big end, at the sacrifice of a little peppiness on the bottom end.

Oh, and your thoughts on the torque management is spot-on, that's a bigtime buzzkill to power delivery down low. Couple that with the DBW system, the TCS system, and I mean, I'm surprised the truck is as responsive as it is.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Amelio- just to put this out there, and for other pre-15 to new '15 upgrading owners: if you had said your 15 was just a little more "laggy" than your pre-15 6.7, it'd be completely explainable by the different turbo setups between the two. The twin scroll wheel in the pre-15 trucks was intended to minimize any "lag", but it ran out of breath on the top end, so Ford went back with a traditional turbo setup on the 15's, which moved more air and made more power on the big end, at the sacrifice of a little peppiness on the bottom end. Oh, and your thoughts on the torque management is spot-on, that's a bigtime buzzkill to power delivery down low. Couple that with the DBW system, the TCS system, and I mean, I'm surprised the truck is as responsive as it is.
Yeah I cannot comment on a pre '15 6.7 but if you guys say the new trucks are not as fast spool up then it must be true. I think it was smart of Ford to go back to a sing wheel instead of a compound setup. I am guessing here but maybe the compound setup was the reason for multiple turbo failures in the early 6.7's?????

Yeah the DBW really kills the off idle "go"! A tune would fix it but I really want to leave my truck stock and warranty compliant for a long time! Because I know that tiny bit of lag is there I just drive accordingly..... I typically do not pull out I font of people to where I need hard exceleration right then and even in an emergency I still think I would be fine. I have many newer vehicles and all of them have DBW..... I have never had a problem prior so I don't anticipate one with thus truck....... Besides I think the stock performance is outstanding!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM
miner999r
Tuned
I don't notice any turbocharger lag in my 2011. But I sure notice that the trans shifts in a strange manner especially when cold.

Has anyone tried this: BD Power - Product: TDV Turbine Diverter Valve It is a turbine diverter valve.

The Turbine Diverter Valve directs the exhaust gas into one volute which speeds up the turbocharger at lower engine rpm. Once optimum boost pressure has been reached, the valve will open up to direct flow through both volutes. With the Turbine Diverter Valve, your turbo will spool up quicker while reducing your 1/4 mile times, exhaust temperatures and smoke levels. Valve, flap and shaft assemblies are precision investment stainless steel casted, and, available in T4-T3 and T4-T4 mounting flange configurations - T4-T6 adapters also available.