6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2011 F350 6.2 Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 AM
DrewCru
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had ticking on my 2011 6.2.mechanics at ford couldn't figure out.found out on accident that the spark plug wires all 16 of them vibrate themselves "unseated".the ticking is the arc from the end of wire.i found one at a red light,fell off entirely and melted thru the rubber cap and was arcing to frame of my truck.they still randomly loosen while driving.ford has no answers.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
They told me that the issue was fixed, and sure enough i listened last night, there is a ticking noise that increases with RPM on the left side of the engine. It isn't intermittent anymore, so it can't be the canister thing that they replaced.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Could you attach both TSB as a .pfd in the tech folder.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewCru
I also had ticking on my 2011 6.2.mechanics at ford couldn't figure out.found out on accident that the spark plug wires all 16 of them vibrate themselves "unseated".the ticking is the arc from the end of wire.i found one at a red light,fell off entirely and melted thru the rubber cap and was arcing to frame of my truck.they still randomly loosen while driving.ford has no answers.

The answer may be to get the coils from Summitt or Jegs that have a solid section of stainless steel cable that connect from the coil to the plug instead of the little "Rinky Dink" coil spring that Ford uses. There may just be too much resistance being built up. I have seen plug wires pushed off of the plugs from such resistance.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
DrewCru
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
[/color]

The answer may be to get the coils from Summitt or Jegs that have a solid section of stainless steel cable that connect from the coil to the plug instead of the little "Rinky Dink" coil spring that Ford uses. There may just be too much resistance being built up. I have seen plug wires pushed off of the plugs from such resistance.
thanks for the heads up.I'll definitely be changing them over.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM
DrewCru
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
They told me that the issue was fixed, and sure enough i listened last night, there is a ticking noise that increases with RPM on the left side of the engine. It isn't intermittent anymore, so it can't be the canister thing that they replaced.
thats exactly what i was hearing,as the rpm go up the tick gets faster until the arc pulls the wire back on the plug.the mechanics found it on accident.the wires dont usually come off just loosen enough to leave a space for the arc.seems to be mostly the lower wires visible thru the wheel well.good luck

Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Strokt350d
Junior User
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
I've got the ticking. Increases with RPM. Replaced the canister purge valve and its not that. This plug wire thing sounds like it could be something...... I will check mine and report back. Mine is so ****** annoying its not even funny. Sounds like a blown header gasket. Pathetic that I am driving a $55k 2011 F350 that sounds exactly like my 88 F350 did over 20 years ago with blown header gaskets.....

Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Strokt350d
I've got the ticking. Increases with RPM. Replaced the canister purge valve and its not that. This plug wire thing sounds like it could be something...... I will check mine and report back. Mine is so ****** annoying its not even funny. Sounds like a blown header gasket. Pathetic that I am driving a $55k 2011 F350 that sounds exactly like my 88 F350 did over 20 years ago with blown header gaskets.....
This might be the answer to some of the problems associated with the COP systems;

Here are the benefits of our COP connector kits:
  • <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Direct OEM replacement, exceeds OEM specifications, OBD-II computer safe <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Increase power to the spark plug up to 400% over stock <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Customers have reported up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous). Average gains on an otherwise stock motor are 5hp N/A and 12 to 15 with factory forced induction <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>0 Ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to patented protector ring <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Patented* design works with all fuel injection systems, street cars and race cars <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Solid stainless connector cable with stainless snap lock spark plug connectors <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>High temperature silicone boots, 8MM jacket with fiberglass-reinforced braid resists temperatures up to 500 degrees f (1200 degree f. boots optional). <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Ideal for use with aftermarket headers and/or turbocharger systems <LI style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Includes all necessary hardware
  • Over 600 fitments!
* Granatelli O ohm wires are patent protected by United States Patent number 7,185,622. This patent covers our unique method of producing ignition wires of extremely low resistance while maintaining very high noise suppression. The benefit of this invention is that full electrical energy from the ignition source is transmitted to the spark plug. The end result of the application of this method is increased horsepower, torque and fuel economy.

Here are the photos requested for the 2, 3 and 4 valve connector kits:

2 Valve:

3 Valve:

4 Valve:

If you’d like a COP connector kit for either a 2, 3 or 4 valve engine I can do a special for $114.99. Please let me know as we have these in stock and ready to go!

Regards,

Alex Clochiatti
Sales and Technical
Granatelli Motorsports
AlexC@Granatellimotorsports.com
805-486-6644 Ext. 24 M-F 8am-5pm
805-486-6684 FAX

Good luck with it.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
Noticed a pretty interesting ticking sound yesterday. Didn't have time to do a detailed look at things, but I did notice a burnt rubber smell. Was this what others were getting with the ticking?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
I don't have a burnt rubber smell. But I will be opening the hood tomorrow afternoon and checking for any loose wires, weather permitting. If there is, it'll go to the dealer and I'll tell them that it was that, if it solves it, and to take a further look into it. I will also check the oil level, just in case, cheap insurance. I will be removing my Airaid in one piece so I can further listen to the issue, since it's a little hard to hear over that intake noise sometimes. I do know that it is in fact coming from the left bank of the engine, and if sometimes you can hear it over the radio if it's quiet enough.

If not it's going in on suspect of TSB 10-25-7 which is the rocker arms. However I don't have misfire codes like listed in that particular TSB, I did mention that the CEL has never come on,

The truck now has about 4200 miles on it.

This is what my paperwork says from the dealer:
"CUSTOMER STATES: TICKING NOISE WHEN WARM FROM ENGINE.
CONFIRMED CONDITION PERFORMED TSB 11-1-5, REPLACED CANISER VENT VALVE, CONDITION CORRECTED"

This will be trip #2 for this, and for the transmission if I bring that up since it now knocks into gear more frequently after the re-flash, and STILL skips between 2nd and 3rd, and now that's more frequent too. Before it was just cold, now it'll do it in normal driving conditions.

edit: checked before I left this morning, no loose wires.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
beer boy
Senior User
cam and follower

Friday while driving into a customers site to work one of their excavators I stopped at the gate to re-set my gps. much to my surprise i could hear a lifter tick.
Very unusual but no mistaking it as a lifter tick. i pulled into the guard house to register that i was on site. Popped the hood to check the oil. Then it dons on me. I don't have lifters....
finish my job and head out towards home. 4.5 hours away by highway. tick gets much louder. close to 4pm on a Friday. Still haven't left the quarry. Nope. Not going to risk being stranded waiting for a tow truck and not being able to get a rental. Cape Breton is a beautiful place, but not to be stuck on a Friday.
straight to the nearest Ford dealership. Service manager comes out and begins to explain that it sounds like the noise is in the bottom end. Real nice guy, very helpful. but never a mechanic. Mechanic comes out. I say it sounds like a lifter stuck. Absolutely says he. Then i say it doesn't have lifters... We both laugh as he says thats not good...
what ever a person believes, the next Friday the 13th I'm staying close to home. Only two rentals left in the city. long story short i traveled home in a Dodge Grand Caravan. Comfortable but not my cup of tea...lol

This morning i call the service advisor, another real good fella. and i suggest that they look into TSB 10-25-7 . At 1:30 i get the call.#6 misfire (awesome, i can go and get my truck back, live and learn, check the wires) and oh yea they ordered a new cam and follower... :' (they say Ill have the truck by Wednesday. We'll see. i guess the mini van ain't so bad for awhile.

Absolutely love the truck. its been right around gross weight since day 1,11000lbs or so. so far 25000kms no issues at all. In mixed use it gives me 600 km to a tank. Shows 21l per 100km mostly. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by beer boy
Friday while driving into a customers site to work one of their excavators I stopped at the gate to re-set my gps. much to my surprise i could hear a lifter tick.
Very unusual but no mistaking it as a lifter tick. i pulled into the guard house to register that i was on site. Popped the hood to check the oil. Then it dons on me. I don't have lifters....
finish my job and head out towards home. 4.5 hours away by highway. tick gets much louder. close to 4pm on a Friday. Still haven't left the quarry. Nope. Not going to risk being stranded waiting for a tow truck and not being able to get a rental. Cape Breton is a beautiful place, but not to be stuck on a Friday.
straight to the nearest Ford dealership. Service manager comes out and begins to explain that it sounds like the noise is in the bottom end. Real nice guy, very helpful. but never a mechanic. Mechanic comes out. I say it sounds like a lifter stuck. Absolutely says he. Then i say it doesn't have lifters... We both laugh as he says thats not good...
what ever a person believes, the next Friday the 13th I'm staying close to home. Only two rentals left in the city. long story short i traveled home in a Dodge Grand Caravan. Comfortable but not my cup of tea...lol

This morning i call the service advisor, another real good fella. and i suggest that they look into TSB 10-25-7 . At 1:30 i get the call.#6 misfire (awesome, i can go and get my truck back, live and learn, check the wires) and oh yea they ordered a new cam and follower... :' (they say Ill have the truck by Wednesday. We'll see. i guess the mini van ain't so bad for awhile.

Absolutely love the truck. its been right around gross weight since day 1,11000lbs or so. so far 25000kms no issues at all. In mixed use it gives me 600 km to a tank. Shows 21l per 100km mostly. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Here is a link to the TSB details and solution. TSB 10-25-7

LINK

Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Strokt350d
Junior User
Originally Posted by iggy2
Here is a link to the TSB details and solution. TSB 10-25-7

LINK
I'm pretty sure even if you complain about a "tick" that without a misfire code, they will not pull the valve covers and check. I have no idea why. It would be nice to find a problem before a catastrophic failure occurs, no questions. Not Fords take on things though.

I haven't got a chance to check all the plugs wires yet, but that sounds like the next step for anyone on here without misfire codes.

Just a thought, but does anyone feel that if you were galling steel that bad that little fragments would be on the magnetic drain plug. I changed my oil recently, and the oil was a nice amber color, and there wasn't a single fragment of anything on the magnetic plug. I would think (hope) that is a good sign. On that note, you can do an oil change for literally $23 (Walmart). I suggest anyone with any problems spend the money and do it. Cheap and easy. Great way to detect a problem. Pan seems to have a really good magnetic plug.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
beer boy
Senior User
opps something screwed up in the parts order. just be another day to get the parts. I'll wait and see how this goes. I asked to have the trannie TSB done but apparently my truck doesn't fall into the TSB.
The dealership doesn't seem very familiar with this engine and truck, I hope this isn't their first one. Time will tell.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Thank you Iggy!!
My 2000 Navigator just had the exact symptoms as those described in the TSB that you posted. I had just arrived at home and was waiting for my son to move his car and my truck suddenly started to miss and tick. I backed up about 30 ft. and the miss got worse. I then pulled into the drive and the engine continued to miss and then a harsh knock developed which changed to a ticking again at idle, gas it a little and the knock reappeared. I got out the stethescope and gave a listen to the valve cover on the driver side and could hear noise at #6 so the next morning I did some research here and found this TSB info. In the meantime my son was looking at it while it was running as we thought an injector connection came off, again, and while he was feeling around in that area he got zapped pretty hard a couple of times and he then stopped messing around in there and told me about the experience. I then started taking the sparkplug cover off in preparation of removing the valve cover as I thought a cam follower or hydraulic lash adjuster had failed. When the plug cover was removed I found that #6 spark plug had ejected itself from the hole and the plug boot was worn through letting the spark go to the valve cover and shocking him hard, those are some powerful coils. We figure the ticking noise was the spark going to the valve cover and the knock was the sparkplug banging against the valve cover. I'll likely finish the thread repair tomorrow, if the rain stops and then know if my diagnosis is correct. I think it's kind of odd that a TSB for a newer engine pointed me in the right direction to find my problem and I followed it only because the symptoms described were almost identical to mine. My truck had been running great until this happened but the plug was black from carbon so there is no way of knowing how long it was just hanging there like that. Thank you for posting it iggy.

Quick Reply: 2011 F350 6.2 Engine Problems