Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help?? F-350 Crew Cab,7.3L Powerstroke Unexplainable Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
You have either a loose connection at the tin nut on the back of the Injection Control Pressure valve, or a poor connection at the injection pressure sensor or a bad injection pressure sensor or a bad high pressure control valve.
My vote is a loose connection at the tin nut.
I'm with Dan on this one; If his tin nut is loose then the wiring might be stiff enough to hold it mostly in place, but with driving, could shimmy and cause it to cut out abruptly. There was another thread just like this within that past week IIRC and he had to make his own, but she ran like a champ after that was in place. Heck, that part would be about $0.25 or so and a few minutes (if lost). I loctite mine on just to save the hassle.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Cowboy Mark
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Morning Team- Update- Re-Placed CPS. Still shut off after motor ran for a while ..
Call a friend from local Ford store- He brought over a diagnostic testing machine. It only registered 190 psi oil pressure. We pulled air filter and sprayed a very small amount of ehter and it turned over and somewhat ran- test came back registering only 300psi and shut off again. It sounded as if it was bogging down and struggled to ran - even for those few seconds.

So friend said- It must be Oil pump- As it is a heat issue and shuts motor down -Lack of Oil pressure. He also said due to fact of Oil pump- He would also replace regulator as well?

Also pricing for these parts from OEM is very expensive, he suggested that I look around for some place that sold Oil Pump and regulator as a complete set. Instead of Ford selling them as individual pieces?

Thoughts or suggestions, idea's??? Are we on the right path?

Also - Seems nobody knows of the Tin Nut behind CPS ? Could you help me describe it to mechanics?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
With no oil pressure I would start looking at the HPOP but first....(And I am saying this cause I am too lazy to look back over the previous posts), search for oil leaks along the lines. If it has pressure then looses it, I wonder if there isn't a fracture somewhere that is getting soft with heat then opening up.

If no leaks then I would look at either rebuilding or replacing the HPOP.

No excessive smoke when it is running?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Cowboy Mark
Freshman User
Hello BillyBob,

Yeah- Already Checked for oil leaks. None found.Now the fracture in oil line and getting soft after heating up- Very Interesting? Seems that would be easy inspection-I think? I will check into that.

If I have to replace Oil Pump and regulator - Is their some place online I could get a decent price and just have it shipped to me??

Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I haven't had to replace mine....(Knock on wood), but I have read in here about some of the guys getting pretty good deals from some of the sponsors. Hopefully one of them will chime in soon with info.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Cowboy Mark
Freshman User
Thanks Billy Bob.. Yeah from what I am hearing Oil Pressure and regulator is very expensinve.. I am worried.. But really cant complain-This is the 1st time my truck has ever cost me a dime.. So - It is what it is-I guess..

Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The tin nut is on the ICP not the CPS Mark. Just an FYI. Hope you get this solved soon

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check all your grounds too

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Mark, when you get a chance give me a call sometime today and lets see if we can sort through all of the diag info you are being fed. Like the guys said, alot of it seems sketchy. Could just be something simple we need to find, and not necessarily throw money at.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The Injection Control Pressure valve (ICP) (where tin nut is) is on the drivers side of the engine on the High Pressure Oil (HPO) rail, behind and toward the left side of the Altenator.

My BAD, the "tin nut" is on the IPR that is behind the HPOP, just to the right of the heater plug.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Cowboy Mark
Freshman User
Update: This site is so awesome !! I am so Thankful for all response's, idea's and suggestions !!!

I believe I have resolved my "Unexplainable Stuff Off" with the help of Clay and noting his thought's of the following:

""Mark, when you get a chance give me a call sometime today and lets see if we can sort through all of the diag info you are being fed. Like the guys said, alot of it seems sketchy. Could just be something simple we need to find, and not necessarily throw money at. ""

Clay
Riffraff Diesel: Contact Us

He worked with this "NON-MECHANIC" and helper thought-out this entire ordeal.
Clay shipped over-nighted my part and saved me around $140.00 -Just on the part !!

Then Clay sent me emails with "How To " - Whereby even this "NON-MECHANIC" - though over the phone 50 million times- Install and replace ..

Again GUESS WHAT - It worked and truck fired right up !!! Incredible !!!
Let truck idle and ran truck at 1800 rpm for 1/2 hour - truck temp is up and no shut off..

Will keep everone posted and like Clay said" It just kills Clay to hear that Dealerships and Shops always seem to go for HPOP or Injectors.. Clay says try all other things before the big money..

THANK YOU , THANK YOU CLAY !!!! Your the BOMB !!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Glad your truck is running, but what was the issue?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Yea man what in the world was the part? My curiosity is killing me!

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Cowboy Mark
Freshman User
IPR senser.. Truck still running great today - have drove around town with it. Runs like a champ it always has been.. Again Thanks to CLAY at Riffraft !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Thanks for putting that up, I got a big curious. Glad he got you going!

Quick Reply: Help?? F-350 Crew Cab,7.3L Powerstroke Unexplainable Shut Off