1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camper package question - first time Ford owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:49 PM
new camper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Camper package question - first time Ford owner

I've been a Ford truck owner for less than 24 hours...(and a proud owner at that... :-)) and was VERY happy to see this forum because I have a LOT to learn.

I purchased a 2008 F450 crew cab 4x4 DRW yesterday to haul a Chalet camper. This was highly recommended for this use - but I was surprised to find a consumer information sheet in the glove box when I got home stating that it was not recommended to use this vehicle for a slide in trailer.

I researched further and it looks like the reason it isn't recommended is because this truck doesn't have the Camper package. (option 471)

My camper has a dry weight of about 3100lbs, and with tanks full, extra battery and LPG, all of our 'stuff', etc. I'd expect it to get up to 4500 lbs or so....hence our desire to haul with the 450 so that we didn't have to worry too much about the weight.

The camper package contents include:
F-250/F-350/F-450 SUPER DUTY CAMPER
PACKAGE (Option Code 471)
• Increased capacity front springs (2 Up or 1 Up upgrade
over springs computer-selected based on options
ordered. Not included if maximum springs already
selected.)
• Rear stabilizer bar (SRW)
• Rear auxiliary springs (F-250; std. on F-350)
• Slide-in camper certification

Since the 450 is a dually...it looks to my uneducated eye that the only thing missing is potentially the front springs upgrade. Am I right? And how important is that upgrade...and what would be the downside of not doing it?

Any info from this group of experts would be greatly appreciated!

GS

Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't sweat it, the F450's are rated for 16500 GVW and yours is probably around 10K-11K as it sits now. I think the paper you found is a CYA for Ford since it technically doesn't have the camper package.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM
new camper
New User
Thanks galaxie641. I had thought that might be the case. It was one of those 'I'm informing the consumer because I'm supposed to' type of forms. Would upgrading the front spring actually increase the GVW max rating?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Many people have slide in camper's on trucks without the camper certifacation. I have it on mine for two reasons. If I bring the truck in for warranty work, I didn't want the dealer to deny my warranty because of something related to the truck camper being carried on the truck and in the event of an accident, you don't want some lawyer fighting for the other guy because the truck wasn't certified to carry the camper in the first place. It's rare, but it can happen.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 AM
new camper
New User
Those are two good reasons Pocono. Thanks. Did you purchase the truck new with the camper package?

I've found a couple of threads on this, but have not heard conclusively if you can add the camper package after delivery or if it has to be factory installed. I'll ask my Ford dealer in the morning. But if anyone has experience with adding the camper package to an older truck, and getting the certification...I'd appreciate any info that you have about the experience. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Pocono Super Duty
Senior User
Yes, I bought the truck new with Camper Package. You could add the items to your truck ( sway bar, HD springs, etc.) even though you would not need them with the F450, but camper certification can only be done at the factory. There are many trucks out there without certification that are hauling a truck camper. You will find more answers to your questions here:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck came with the camper package and no certificate. I believe your F450 already has most of the package as standard equipment. You've got the overloads, the swaybar add is only on SRW (your truck is dually so that part of the package doesn't apply), and then one or two up on the front springs (unless already maxed out). You can check your front spring rating to determine what it is, and if you really wanted you could add a one or two up front spring, but you probably wouldn't need it anyway. So, basically you're missing the piece of paper (which not all trucks came with anyway...mine came with the package but no piece of paper).

Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
J_E_Summit
Postmaster
My 08 F250 has the camper package without the camper certificate paper as well.

I don't currently have a camper, but it is part of my future plans. The lack of a paper is not going to stop me from putting a camper in.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 AM
new camper
New User
Thanks all for the responses. I talked to Ford today and the lack of certification won't have any impact on warranty...and they too felt that there wouldn't be any issue hauling the camper. I am adding Firestone Ride-Rites on the back for stability but am looking forward to a great hauler in the 450. Thanks again for your comments.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM
auriferous
Senior User

camper package!

was doing a search for this very thing and came right back here .bought mine a month ago and found the same non-recommendation for a camper in the glove box ,i am 2nd owner and this is a CPO from the dlr. no original sticker came with it but 'senix' here posted a site to see your orig. sticker and mine says I have the camper package but not sure what all is included noticed the sway bar on the front end gonna check the rear for extra susp.also good luck hope this helps[it seems this is a case of CYA]

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by auriferous
.....and mine says I have the camper package but not sure what all is included
This is from the 2008 Super Duty Brochure:

Camper Package — Includes front springs upgrade (unless maximum springs have been computer-selected as included equipment); rear stabilizer bar (SRW); slide-in-camper certification; auxiliary rear springs

You can get a copy of the brochure and the tech specs and info here:Hiller Ford - Ford Vehicle Research

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
auriferous
Senior User

thank you!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by auriferous
thank you!
You bet.<filllllllllllll>

Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 AM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
I think there's an upgrade for a snowplow package which I think would boost your front springs, too. Don't quote me on that though, because I got that option with my 2004 F-250, not sure about an 08.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
bens170
Junior User
To Powerstroke72
I just wanted to say thank you for posting Hiller-Ford's site on your thread. Have a Very Merry Christmas
Ben

Quick Reply: Camper package question - first time Ford owner