1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I think I'm going with Mac's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
texasguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
First off, welcome to the forum.

Second, you seem to like informative posts so let me inform you of something. FTE is a great place where you can get lots of information, but you also get to know all these great people and everybody helps each other out. That being said, the above post is a great way to get people not to help you in the future.

I'm guessing that you referring to replacing front drums means that you are going with a 100% original resto?

There are tons of great places out there nowadays, some you might check out are;

C&G - Ford Parts at C&G for 1932 thru 1979 Ford car and Ford truck.

Classic Haulers - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts - Home

Hot Rod's Classic - Hot Rod's Classic Truck Parts

Speedway - Speedway Motors - Street Rod Parts, Race Parts, Ford Flathead Parts, Sprint and Midget Racing Parts, Pedal Car Parts
Being a newbie here also (but with a much better attitude ), I have the same questions. The sources above are much appreciated and the one's I have seen that also seem to provide good support and variety are Macs, LMC and SVF.

btw - artic y block's comment about girls was not only funny but true - the best comedy always has an element of truth.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
21 posts and already policing the place, eh? Good luck with that, it will become a full-time job!
likely an obama financial recovery created job.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it's all good Guys. Lets get past this and move on.

I found a local privet owned parts store where the owner of course was awesome at finding anything for anything. Or he could not compete Look for something like that in your area, get on his good side and ya won't regret it.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
texasguy
Junior User
Another good source of general brake info (since it appears you are doing brakes) is at chtopping.com. I may have picked the link up from other postings here.

This looks interesting for people who are staying with drums.

Drilled Drums

Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site. Lots of good people eager to help, and have fun. No one ever tries to insult or offend anyone, just fooling around. If you really want to be offended go to my post titled Dagmars.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texasguy
Macs, LMC and SVF.
Wow, how in the world did I forget LMC truck? I must have been half asleep, i've been using them for years.

Originally Posted by ZOOT
Welcome to the site. Lots of good people eager to help, and have fun. No one ever tries to insult or offend anyone, just fooling around. If you really want to be offended go to my post titled Dagmars.
I liked those posts just fine

Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Here's a link to a previous thread with some good parts links;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8254821

Bobby

Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've found that you can't just work with one vender. Some folks carry things that others don't. I tend to frequent C&G Ford Parts because they are two miles up the road. That way I avoid shipping, and can actually see the quality of the parts before I buy. There are times I purchase from others because of prices. I like MACS too. LMC lately seems to have ACCURACY problems with their catalogues and having part numbers advertised for 51/52 actually being 53-65 F-100.

As far as bed parts MAR-K is tops in my book and their web site is a wealth of knowledge. I also tend to buy a lot of used parts on e-bay. But I know the parts well enough at this point to be able to recognize a dog if it's pictured.

http://www.mar-k.com/

As far as your front braqke drums, 51/52 fronts all come from the same factory in China (maybe Mexico) and all the parts places buy them from the same dealer that you can.....JOBLOT. You have probably already figured out that the 51/52 front drums are rare (not a NAPA item) and expensive.

Here's the link to JOBLOT Automotive:

JobLot Automotive

Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
As far as your front braqke drums, 51/52 fronts all come from the same factory in China (maybe Mexico) and all the parts places buy them from the same dealer that you can.....JOBLOT. You have probably already figured out that the 51/52 front drums are rare (not a NAPA item) and expensive.
I'm curious as to why are they rare? Are they different than 48-50?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
AFAIK it's all Bonus Built fronts, unique offset at the center.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
No I think they are the same 48-52, but just to clarify, some brake drums you can get up at NAPA for $25 (usually the back ones that covered a lot of years.)

But the regular parts places (autozone, NAPA) don't carry the fronts, and as with most things from the resto parts places they tend to be about double/triple expensive.

Maybe instead of rare I should have said "not quite as common!"

Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
jrfiero
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
JobLot

Apropos of very little, in about 1970 when I was in college on Long Island (way before the internet!) I went to JobLot for a front brake drum for my 52 panel...
At that time there weren't repros of anything for 50s trucks, but parts stores had all the maintenance stuff, 6V electical, correct points and spark plugs, wheel bearings, etc, but for much else you had to go the the junkyard (whatever they call them these days). Joblot was the only place I knew that specialized in old Ford parts.
Anyway, JobLot had a drum. After I bought it, I fought with getting that wheel balanced for a while, then I started to balance just the drum. Eighteen ounces, yes, 18, of lead later, I had a balanced drum. Molten lead poured into the groove on the outside of the cast drum. Of course, it came off, then I had to do it again and epoxy it on.
And they weren't even making them in China then, AFAK!

I'm sure things are better now.

Jonas

Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've had drums that were balanced by welding a steel weight onto the cast drum, never could figure why that works but welding a cracked flatmotor doesn't...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM
52 M1 Kootenay Kid
Senior User
Hi arctic y block,
Please, my apps for being rude.Way out of line.When you and I are in Homer at the same time maybe we could meet at the new sourdough and have some endless dunginess with those beers.

Macs is going to be it for now.I seem to need the little special parts they have.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 M1 Kootenay Kid
Hi arctic y block,
Please, my apps for being rude.Way out of line.When you and I are in Homer at the same time maybe we could meet at the new sourdough and have some endless dunginess with those beers.

Macs is going to be it for now.I seem to need the little special parts they have.
It's all good Kid. See ya there

Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
One thing I like about Macs, is their catalog covers. I just wish they were pull out posters.

Quick Reply: I think I'm going with Mac's