Aerostar Ford Aerostar

15" wheel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
That's the same size (215/65/15) that came on Mazda's MPV. It's just a little shorter than 205/75/14, but you probably won't notice it. It may be the ideal combination of height/width for minivans.

I'm sure everyone has their favorite tire brand/model, but I will suggest a brand to stay away from: Yokohama. My friends, my brother, and myself did not get very good mileage out of Yoko tires of any grade. They all delaminated after a couple years of use.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
aerohiwaystar
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks I was never a yokohama fan. One down one hundred to go. Easy choice is Cooper but they're not cheap. They are American which should always be a strong consideration.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
aerohiwaystar
Cross-Country
Got a set of Hankook Optimos online for $66.00 a tire (215/65/15's). Had them mounted on a set of twisted stars that I bench polished off a junked Ernie Bauer Explorer or Bronco. Don't recall which. Was a while back. I think they were off an EB Explorer though. I'm happy with the Hankooks so far and the stars look well let's just say a little bit better than those old 14" inch steelies. I'll post a pic when I get time if anybody wants to see 'em.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
please post pictures
share the beauty of an Aero.

gives other owners info on what way they might go for the look they want.

they grow on ya.

this thread is worthless without pictures

since we have a La Ninya coming this winter, think I might put on my 6 ply 15" Snow/Mud

Originally Posted by aerohiwaystar
Got a set of Hankook Optimos online for $66.00 a tire (215/65/15's). Had them mounted on a set of twisted stars that I bench polished off a junked Ernie Bauer Explorer or Bronco. Don't recall which. Was a while back. I think they were off an EB Explorer though. I'm happy with the Hankooks so far and the stars look well let's just say a little bit better than those old 14" inch steelies. I'll post a pic when I get time if anybody wants to see 'em.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

When you say "polish", do you mean cleaning up the clearcoat on the aluminum, or did you actually polish the aluminum? If the latter, you might want to re-coat them, or they will tarnish pretty quickly, especially if you live in areas that get salty.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by aerohiwaystar
Thanks I was never a yokohama fan. One down one hundred to go. Easy choice is Cooper but they're not cheap. They are American which should always be a strong consideration.
Pretty sure Cooper is foreign owned, but American made.
As far as American jobs, I guess that is better than nothing.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is my `88 'work horse' with 16" x 7" wheels off a mid-late 90s GT Mustang, 215/60 tires in the front and 225/60 in the rear. They fit perfectly with no spacers and have zero interference issues. My next Aerostar will have 17" wheels off a mid-late 90s Cobra Mustang and will require all kinds of custom parts.....

Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those wheels sure look good, bet the ride quality is terrible though.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Those wheels sure look good, bet the ride quality is terrible though.
The ride is definitely stiffer but how 'terrible' is a personal conclusion. I have a SVT Contour with a suspension so stiff you can feel a cigarette butt in the road.....

Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

There are a lot of Ford vehicles where they managed to achieve the worst aspects of the handling envelope; bad handling accompanied by harsh ride. That really took talent. So my expectations are no high for most Fords, with the possible exception of the GT.

The Aerostar is basically a truck, so I expect that level of handling and ride comfort. Given that, I also expect a certain level of cargo handling capacity; that is, being able to safely carry that weight around, and safely bring it to a stop when necessary. Again, I find the brakes lacking; possibly my biggest gripe.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:40 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
My mom's van used to go through brakes, but I run higher end ceramics on mine and I haul more weight too. I did have my old rotors eventually glaze over, but they never warped. I replaced then with slotted rotors to overcome the warping problem. I still want to see how the mustang disc brake swap was done on my mom's new van. The brakes on that a amazing. Its too bad it has to run the 15" wheels with the disc brakes, they won't handle the weight and mileage that I run on mine, they will wear out quickly. The ride is pretty good on most roads, but its when you run into speed bumps or other bad road conditions that the thinner rubber on the 15" wheels starts to bite the handling.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

I'm really curious now, what kind of Mustang brakes are on that van?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aero is the best riding handling mid size van i've ridden in or drove. tried 'em all, Astro, Caravan, Honda, Toyota. most are way too mushy and lean like a pot belly pig rolling down stairs sideways.

my Aero was not that great riding until I upgraded to the first set of high pressure Tokiko shocks and now KYBs, added poly bushings on steering and roll bar, rear roll bar and rear air bags.
as long as i can keep buying strong P rated 14" tires, I'll run stock. have a set of rough riding 15" expensive mud grips rusting rotting away in the garage that never need and ruin the ride and handling.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
waterbear
Senior User
Question

Hi all,

I'm just back from a Djungle-Trip in Guadeloupe Island and finding myself in deepest winter-conditions here now. My problem is, that i can't find Snow-Tires for my 14" rims - Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 would be my first choice, but Cooper tire & Rubber Company Germany/Switzerland do not have it in stock and do not deliver anymore for my size (14").

Have gone through many threats here first, regarding Rim & Tire sizes for Aero*. What i found is alot of Information and i just finally wish to get some recommendations from You on the following offers that i found on eebay today:

1. Offer

Four complete Wheels, Mustang, 16"/7.5J with 225/55 Winter Tires

2. Offer

Four complete Wheels, Mustang, 15"/7J with 225/60 Winter Tires

Both offers are the same price. I just need to have other Rims now as those that are already bolted on, to have a wider range of Tires to choose from in the future.

Would those Mustang-Rims both fit onto my Aero*? What about Center-Hole Diameter? Which Rims of those two would be preferable in Your opinion?

Many thanks for Yours replies!

97' XLT, 3.0L Vulcan, 89t miles and plenty of snow arround..

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Yes they will fit just fine. That whats on my mom's van.

Quick Reply: 15" wheel recommendations?