1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Air Deflectors are they necessary

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM
gifuneod
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Air Deflectors are they necessary

Still working on my 49 F1 after about five years there is light at the end of the tunnel however as I can retire in a few years and stay home and devote the time this truck deserves. I have a few question at this point and the wealth of knowlege on this forum has always helped me along the way to completying this project. Are the air deflectors on each side of the radiator and the hood air deflector necessary on a 49 F1 with a 302 and electric fan? I'm at the stage now of trying to figure out how those little deflectors and the valance extender mount they don't seem to want to fit. The radiator is mounted in the 6 cylinder location as it was originally. Can I toss this stuff ? I think the hood deflector will be mounted as it will add stability to the hood
Another question I have an inner fender but it is too short for my application it appears to be for a 8 cylinder but it has no holes forward of the radiator bracket holes.What is this for? I can't see how it can be used on a F1 as there are no holes for the front sheet metal.
Just thought of something else what are you thoughts on filling in the crowl vent I have a vintage air system installed. I saw in one of my books that a crowl vent filler panel is available for the I think 53 and up trucks are they available for the 49's or is this a bad idea?
Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Yes I would say they are necessary because everything on your front clip is bolted to them, example; inner fenders outer fenders, gravel pan,top radiator valance, rad support,grille, pretty much everything. If you do end up throughing them away you will be looking for another set in the future when you start your assembly, so I'd advise keeping them.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might have inner fenders from a 51/52 model or yours were modified.

Read through this recent post about innner fenders: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...r-fenders.html

Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I'll give you my 2 cents worth that I have observed directly about the HOOD air deflector part of your question. I have a 1950 F1 with a 302 and an electric fan. It doesn't have the hood deflector, and I've never had it even get close to heating up so far. On the other hand, I have a 1949 F1 that is completely original with the flathead 8BA. It has the original deflector and I wouldn't dare take it off because of the heat of those engines.

I know you have a 302, but I figured I might as well mention this. My dad has a 1950 Ford Coupe with the same flathead engine (8BA). Over the course of this spring and summer, we have changed both thermostats, water pumps, and put a brand new radiator in it. But it still tried to heat up occasionally. I finally talked him into letting me put the deflector back into that car. We actually did it this past weekend. Problem solved. I could NOT convince him that it would make a difference. So I bought one, cleaned it up, painted and installed it. I put him in the car and took him on a hard 20 mile round trip. Didn't heat up at all.

But back to your question about your truck with the 302, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem there. BUT I cannot speak to whether or not you'll need this or that so that things bolt up right. I'd try to keep as many of those parts as possible.

As far as the cowl vent question, I'd just leave it. You'd be amazed how much air comes through that thing. You never know, you might need it someday.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
leverhead
Junior User
In my opinion yes. They are there to deflect the air thru the radiator for proper cooling.

Also (in my opinion) I would keep the cowl vent. Very cool and handy. Rocky Hinge makes a good power motor unit for old style cowl vents that you could use down the line....I put one in my 53. I think they may become a more featured item down the road...was looking at duece coupe kits and they offer them with cowl vents...that says something to me. Just my .02. Regards.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a lot of twisting and streese that get absorbed by those air deflectors.

As a matter of fact, I have a full front tilt and the entire weight of the front sheet metal rides on the joint between the deflectors and the valance. I did have to reinforce it though.

I have removed my inner fenders with the full front tilt though, and nothing is attached to the radiator support.

However, I have at least half a dozen bolts holding the hood to the fenders and on the full tilt, a linial actuator holds the assembly down in the front and it rests tightly on the cowl felt on top. And despite the fact that it sits tightly down, it is not bolted in place and technically is "floating." That's why there are no stress cracks - like on the backs of the fenders, etc.

If you are putting the front back together in a stock configuration, I would definately use all the pieces to complete the rigid framework of the front of the truck.

Name:  Front Body in carrier.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  J10 Left Side Bender Bolting and Brace.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  51.6 KB

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
gifuneod
Freshman User
Are these air deflectors necessary

Thanks everyone I thinks I'll keep the crowl vent as mine is in very good shape. The air deflectors I'm talking about are those small tin pieces that bolt to the radiator mount some how I didn't pay attention when I deconstructed the truck and can't figure out how they mount I also didn't mark them as to left and right. Thanks again

Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd be more than willing to snap some pictures of my air deflectors if you like. I'm sure everybody else would too.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gifuneod
Thanks everyone I thinks I'll keep the crowl vent as mine is in very good shape. The air deflectors I'm talking about are those small tin pieces that bolt to the radiator mount some how I didn't pay attention when I deconstructed the truck and can't figure out how they mount I also didn't mark them as to left and right. Thanks again
You won't need those....just leave them off. All they do is keep air from going around the top sides of the radiator instead of through it. Unless you're running the original radiator AND a flathead you don't need them...

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by gifuneod
Are the air deflectors on each side of the radiator and the hood air deflector necessary on a 49 F1 with a 302 and electric fan? ...Can I toss this stuff ?
You can toss them if you want, but if you do, toss them to my house.

Meanwhile, you may want to read this...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9330516

Contrary to popular belief, you need to have some way to direct all the air flow through the radiator core instead of letting it go around. The kind of engine or radiator makes no difference. But don't take my word for it. Go ahead and have your own little science project with your truck. Just be sure to publish your findings here. If you try hard, maybe you can even get a government grant to finance your project. ;-)

Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 AM
gifuneod
Freshman User
Air Deflectors

I guess the prudent thing to do is to install the deflectors. Mountaindoc if you could would you send me a picture I can't figure them out. Thanks all

Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
You can toss them if you want, but if you do, toss them to my house.

Meanwhile, you may want to read this...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9330516

Contrary to popular belief, you need to have some way to direct all the air flow through the radiator core instead of letting it go around. The kind of engine or radiator makes no difference. But don't take my word for it. Go ahead and have your own little science project with your truck. Just be sure to publish your findings here. If you try hard, maybe you can even get a government grant to finance your project. ;-)
Those two little 3x5 inch deflectors do very little for air flow. I left mine off and haven't had any cooling problems. I think the one in the hood and below and in front of the radiator are more important. I have both of those...

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are the pictures of the air deflectors on the radiator support. They attach through the upper bolt for the radiator support.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
jotram
Senior User
Ive got a delema ...delima..whatever ! but I have a 55 f100 it came with 56 air deflectors , that is the part that bolts to the fender and radiator support , my problem is theres a huge gap inbetween the front of the hood and fender say 1/2 inch and it cant be closed,theres no give its been maxed out ! what is the problem? I know the deflectors are different between a 55 and 56 but thought that difference was only the headlight bucket indents ? are they the same otherwise? could I cut 1/2 inch out of the 56 air deflectors and use them, or is there even a differenc? HELP !

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 PM
jotram
Senior User
anyone with some insight on the difference between a 55 and 56 air deflector

Quick Reply: Air Deflectors are they necessary