Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Another 'High Performance' IDI Thread! / Other engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 AM
dylan8427
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another 'High Performance' IDI Thread! / Other engines

Alright... just for fun at the moment - brain candy for IDI lovers lol.

Some time in the future, I plan to re-power my truck - '94 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 with a factory turbo IDI. This would have come sooner, but it appears that a $10 'head gasket sealer' has fixed my water-in-oil problem. (had water/milky stuff showing up on oil cap, and slowly lost antifreeze)

So far my options are:
**Rebuild & get the IDI to produce some power! (most awesome & unique option)
**Put a Cummins in it...
**E'99 PSD Swap (I have one in the garage)
**Other... like a 6V53 or 3208, but expensive??? To much modding? IDK

SO, I regardless of avenue, I want to see this truck MATCH the STOCK 6.7L. That's about 600ft-lbs RWTQ... how do you get an IDI to do that - and still go 350k+ miles? Any of the other options are capable for sure. But a 7.3L IDI? Even better, let's try to keep the total cost under $4k... Preferable lower as all other options would be less lol

I'm thinking something like this:
**Stock ATS Turbo w/ upgraded housing, outlet, & a 4-inch down pipe (18-22lbs of boost?)
**Ceramic coated (I think?) manifolds and pipes to the turbo
**After market casting heads, with MODIFIED pre-cups - larger hole(&/or 's') to allow more in & out flow (stop from being blown out of head so easy?)
**Stock pistons, but ceramic coated
**ARP Studs, torqued to bolt specs not engine specs
**Normal head gaskets - don't want to deal with fire rings, and I'm not talking insane boost
**RODS: option a)stock b)stock shortened for lower compression (i believe theres a process for this???) c)late PSD rods (same bearing sizes??? close length???)
**Maybe more studs in the bottom end???
**Moose Pump & Mister injectors
**Some kind of injection? (only if absolutely necessary, prefer none)

Would that accomplish that, and if not what would? Or should I just go one of the other routes, and if so, which one? Maybe I should start a poll? :P

Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 AM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok out of curiosity why do you want to do this?you also got to remember no matter what when you get to building engines you are making them more powerful but are creating more weak points at the same time.o actually pull off a high horsepower idi build you would probably have to have a block machined somehow.im not saying its impossible but i am saying that i dont think the technology or parts are out there to make this reality especially with wanting it to last

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 AM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

if you mean 3208 CAT, i wanna see that!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 AM
dylan8427
Junior User
I want to do it because I want to see an old Ford win out over others... I like the idea of a quick IDI. The slowness gets to me haha. Although, its not SLOW, just can't keep up with other trucks. 0-60 in 13.3 seconds.

You cant tell me an IDI that can compete with newer trucks wouldn't be awesome! I'm not saying out power them, just match them stock. I'm tired of all the PSD and Cummins guys having all the fun (and the D-MAX is suppose...), the IDI is not a bad motor!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 AM
dylan8427
Junior User
Originally Posted by chicagodragon
if you mean 3208 CAT, i wanna see that!
That is EXACTLY what I meant Love CAT motors. Not sure why... Just hear of them as being bulletproof, dead reliable, and beasts.

I guess the 4-53T is also an option in addition to the 6V92 though (Detroit)...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
You are not going to get the torque of the 6.7 out of an IDI- repeat!

$4,000 will get you a good, mostly stock rebuild 6.9 or 7.3.

The 3208 Cat is a pig of a engine. Only place I've seen it do a fantastic job is as a stationary pump or generator. If horse power and torque were based on weight though, the 3208 would have a whole lot of both.

Best idea out of your own options is to find an inexpensive 5.9 cummins and put some $$ into that for your truck.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Drop in the Cummins if you want to "win out over others" because a PSD motor will cost you an arm and a leg to make it move out of its own way and from the sounds of it, the IDI is about the same.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
which cummins engine fits into the 94 ford trucks anyway? ive heard about this swap over and over but never seen it done..... and do the ZF5's bolt up to a cummins engine?

what are the power spec's on a cummins engine that fits in here anyway?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
De-Stroked
Fordcummins

You don't need the adapter unless you want to keep your Ford trans ... They are other options!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Sounds intriguing, however, you will spend similar amounts of money regardless. If you want the power those engines are putting out, you either pay for them, or pur money into ours. the stock 6bt or 12v is throwing out good number if you crank the pump and mod some injectors etc. So either way, you spark up some cash regardless. But if you buy a used banks, you can throw a lot of power at our engines. from what i can gather, the 50% gain is a bit unreasonable but doable. If i can do 50% gains i will be near 290ish hp. So my thinking is that the actual numbers wont quite be there but close. Lets say i just get to 270hp, mission complete right? well reality is probably 250-260. stock early strokes were what....215? Maybe propane injection, intercooling......yeah its all going to cost you money in the long run but all those small mods will be cheaper than a stock built 5.9 from those links. ill keep my engine till it dies, then think up something new. You know what would be cool, a 6.7 in our trucks, 400hp with 800 tq....yeah thatd be fun! hahaha

Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I disagree. You buy a stock, used Cummins motor in good shape, do the fuel pin mod, KDP mod, install the 3200rpm spring and turn the pump up a hair and it'll outrun our trucks with ease. Our friend did that and he can pull grade significantly better than our Powerstroke. His truck is 7 years older than our Powerstroke.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
no brother, you got me wrong, i was pointing at the cost. What is the price tag for his 280-300hp truck. Looking at numbers, your truck puts out the 250hp stock marker i believe. It wouldnt be a stretch for one of our trucks to out power you by a long shot with all of those mods. Turbo, moose IP and Inj's, propane injection etc etc and we can hit 300 quick. We have to put studs in and the like but out powering your monster truck wouldnt be hard. Just sayin

Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
f the 6.7l. check out their issues already. no engine is flawless, there will always be issues. it all depends on what engine you prefer. figure in cost of upkeep, cost of the swap vs cost up upgrade to your existing engine and upkeep. i still am not convinced that you cant get 500hp and 800lbs of tq out of these idi's. its just a matter of making it work and last! lack of aftermarket performance goodies hurts it a little but you can make things work.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
i think 300-325hp and 600-650lb-ft is very respectable and not too difficult to achieve. Takes a bit of work but can be done. As said by many before me and lots on here.....how fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
indeed. it ALL comes down to money. a 1.8l honda engine can get to 800hp no problem, as long as you got the cash to make it happen.

Quick Reply: Another 'High Performance' IDI Thread! / Other engines