1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So what do you all think? Worth ditching the unit bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 AM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what do you all think? Worth ditching the unit bearings?

So was watching the TV today and on Extreme 4X4 they VERY quickly showed this product from Solid Axel Industries/SPYNTEC Industries:

Front SpynTec Conversion Kit For Ford 99-04

Price = $1550

So what do you all think about using this over the Unit bearings? It's very expensive, but because you can now repack all of the wheel bearings and or replace them with new bearings, instead of replacing the whole unit, it's a nice deal. That and I've never minded repacking my own bearings, then I know it's done right.

But is it worth this whole expense if using the ABS sensor greasing (although there is still the needle bearing issue)... On a Daily driver.... etc. etc. Only good for huge off road tires?

And also as a fun fact I think PaysonPSD is referenced on the website (see first link and click on Gallery.... I swear I've seen that red truck before)

Sooooo Let the discussion begin!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 AM
izzybird
Elder User

I agree it would be nice to have serviceable bearings, but pop's method of greasing the non serviceable hubs works well. (if you have abs holes) I've been lusting after dynatracs Free spin heavy duty front hub conversion kit for awhile now, but it's out of my budget for sure.
Dynatrac

Or if you've got big lift, this kit is really nice. Quite pricey!
Dynatrac

I don't know anyone who has these, so can't say much about em except Made In USA.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I cant speak for the Spin tech kit, I have the Dynatrac and its a nice kit.

You have to go through a lot of unit bearings before you would see a cost saving, But it is nice to be able to open it up and inspect/repack.

A full set of bearings,races and seals is about $90.

A member here, Layson, has the Solid kit, Perhaps he will chime in.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Inside view of OEM unit bearing.

Ford Factory Unit Bearing | Spyntec Industries

Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanMade
So was watching the TV today and on Extreme 4X4 they VERY quickly showed this product from Solid Axel Industries/SPYNTEC Industries:

Front SpynTec Conversion Kit For Ford 99-04

Price = $1550

And also as a fun fact I think PaysonPSD is referenced on the website (see first link and click on Gallery.... I swear I've seen that red truck before)

Sooooo Let the discussion begin!
You are correct.....partly..... The red truck belongs to Layson......

Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Whoops my mistake on the spelling. I love that truck. The thing is so nice and I love the art work/mural!

But yeah... I suppose it is just something to dream about rather than just a "got to have"

Would be nice though...

Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltdog
Inside view of OEM unit bearing.

Ford Factory Unit Bearing | Spyntec Industries
looking at those pic's It appears using pop's method to grease the unit bearing we are indeed getting grease to both bearings, if you put enough grease in.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
One can buy a lot of Timkens for $1550.

About six.

I really don't see the need, even for serious rock-crawlers. The hub locks can be replaced with a higher-quality, manual, stronger lock if needed or desired.

Their bearings themselves don't look any larger or stronger. They show, in their own photos, that the OEM rollers are genuine Timkens.

The stub shafts also have to be replaced with their own, and they tout finer splines as the benefit, but I don't think there are lots of cases where the splines give out on the OEM stubs. The locks, maybe, but not the stubs. I suspect their hub locks are proprietary, and might get even more pricey if there's only a single source.

There are still the needle bearings to be greased. That requires the same disassembly, it would appear.

As I said, I just don't see the long-term benefits they are selling, but maybe I'm missing something.

Pop

Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Pop! I could see it if they were fixing a proven weak point, but just the idea of saving a couple of hundred dollars every 150k-200k miles doesn't make it worth if for me.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
One can buy a lot of Timkens for $1550.

About six.

I really don't see the need, even for serious rock-crawlers....
+1

If your replacing bearings yearly, then it might be worth it. IF your planning on keeping your truck 4+ years.

I have over 100k on the originals, about 20k on Ball Joints. Even if I have to replace them for $500/pair tommorow, I'm sure they'd last at least another 50k towing easy. That'd be over 5 years for me.... no-brainer.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I am with Pop on this, good looking product and probably the way Ford should have designed the truck but with over 160k on my original unit bearings....

Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
getting rid of the stock bearing is just a plus to the kit..if this is the reason you want to swap..it isnt worth it....the bigest reason why this kit was made is the axel shaft's are bigger and stonger then stock..you wont find a unit bearing for a 35 spline shaft....sled pullers and off road trucks with big tires and high HP are always breaking these shafts...i have read a couple of threads on these two kits with good feed back..

Each wheel receives a 35-spline outer axle shaft instead of the stock, 30-spline shaft and a Premium Warn manual locking hub to replace the factory units.

SOLID AXLE Front SpynTec Conversion Kit For Ford 99-04

DYNATRAC Ford Super Duty Combo Kit - 1999-2004 Ford F-250 and F-350 Trucks

Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Shaft comparison pic

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
firman
New User
is that $1500 per side? i'll stick with stock.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Bossman7121
Senior User
I have the Dynatrac free spin kit. Instructions sucked, but their cs was great, along with a little Q and A here. I was replacing the hubs every 8 months, and yes, the cost was steep for the Dynatrac kit, but the intangibles come into play. As the OEM hub failed, I ALWAYS got uneven tire wear, so toss in the cost of new rubber ( even fronts ) and then the leap aint so far. Add in new shoes, or even the extra strain from the ball joints, and all of a sudden its not 3 sets of hubs, its one set...... You guys with the stock tires probably dont have the same problems, or they are not compounded as much but they are still there.

Quick Reply: So what do you all think? Worth ditching the unit bearings?