Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Size

I dont like the 16.5 I have if you know about tires you will know what im talking about. So I been thinking about getting some 16" steel rims the factory ones, will 285/75/R16 fit on them? Whats the biggest tire that will go on a factory rim? I want to keep the Bad@$$ look. haha, I dont really care for the factory tire size look its just not my taste. My trucks a 94 CC 4x4. I just wonder what would make my truck look real good and be able to get rid of these POS 16.5.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have 16.5" rims on a 1994?

Weren't those discontinued in the 70's? lol

I think if I remeber right, 285/75 are the biggest you can go without any mods to the truck.

Wouldn't you like nice tall skinny 215/85R16's like I run on the motorhome?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
george D is runing 315/85r16's on his factory height. remember hes got a d60 front, not ttb

Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
he just had to trim the bumper a little bit on the front corner but hes also running wider then factory wheels, and more offset. with factorys i doubt you'd have to trim anything.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
I hate the 16.5, but the truck came with them! Took forever to get them on the rim when I replaced the valve stems! One of the rims are bent to so no one will balance it.

Can someone post some pictures with 285/75/16 on there truck?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
ya, im talking about factory 16's.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
there's the 315's

Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Man how old is that picture? First thing I noticed was the gas sign. So those are 16" rims? Id like to get some factory alcoa rims, theres a local guy selling some for $350 but I dont have the spare $$$..

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
picture is like 3 days old. ya, my dad is a gas collector. that sign is one that numbers get slid into. so you just slide in the numbers in place of the ones painted on. ya, those are 16's

Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
same size tire, also 16" wheels just dont have the heavy offset like george d's truck. this is with a 4" lift, but had too much room under there. same lift fit 37's no problem.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Here are my 265's.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey so this is an older thread I know, but I figured, better to bring one up, than start a whole new one.

I'm looking at picking up a set of 295/75/ R16 BFG All-Terrain T/As for my truck for winter for $300 with about 50-60% tread (Not amazing but still much better than my current setup front two, one is 60, the other 85, back two like 20), as were supposed to be having near record snow fall this year up in BC. I know this topic has been beat to death, but the numbers on the tires are something I just can't grasp well. I know they're 33's, I'm running stock rims, and it's a SRW setup, I'm not worried about fender rub as my after market bumper has hard plastic on the sides, and can be cut back very easily. I'm worried about internal rub. Should they fit? Will I have to get different rims to accommodate them, anything I haven't thought about?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
Hey so this is an older thread I know, but I figured, better to bring one up, than start a whole new one.

I'm looking at picking up a set of 295/75/ R16 BFG All-Terrain T/As for my truck for winter for $300 with about 50-60% tread (Not amazing but still much better than my current setup front two, one is 60, the other 85, back two like 20), as were supposed to be having near record snow fall this year up in BC. I know this topic has been beat to death, but the numbers on the tires are something I just can't grasp well. I know they're 33's, I'm running stock rims, and it's a SRW setup, I'm not worried about fender rub as my after market bumper has hard plastic on the sides, and can be cut back very easily. I'm worried about internal rub. Should they fit? Will I have to get different rims to accommodate them, anything I haven't thought about?
those are 11.6" wide.
the wider the tire = the loss of traction in snow (everything else too actually besides deep mud,where it's best to float.)
stock 235/85/16's are 9.3" wide.way better traction in snow than those tires will be.
it sucks i know,cus i like the look too.but the bigger wider tires are good for two things only: looks and muddin'.with everything else like traction (besides deep mud) fuel economy,and performance dropping,the larger and wider you go.
11.6 X 4 = 46.4" of tire to the ground.
9.3 x 4 = 37.2" of tire to the ground.
that's almost 10 more inches worth of tire width letting you float on the white stuff losing traction.

when it comes time for snow season.
you want the skinniest tire you can find,and a good 1/2 ton in the bed(sand is great cus you can shovel it under the tires when/if needed.but be mindful,if it's full of salt it will rust the bed out,even in low temps will freeze into a solid block.use a bed liner.) even a 2wd has a nice fighting chance sporting that setup.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... I like the big look myself. Last year I was driving the family 1/2 ton, so I learnt the value of having some extra weight in the back of the truck, the rear tires will spin if there was a shower 2 hours ago, and you hit the throttle to hard from a stop, let alone in snow...
A question regarding the tires, wouldn't the wider tires be better for towing? more traction and all...

So I want to keep tire width down, but I want to get some bigger tires than stock, they tend to look kinda small on my truck, and it bothers me. So skinny, but tall tires, would that be an option?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
"wouldn't the wider tires be better for towing? more traction and all"

wider tire = less traction for all surfaces.
the only reason they go so well in deep mud,is because they hold the truck from sinking down into the mud burring the axles.
when mudders get serious,they will drop the tire pressure down next to nothing.what this does,is make the tire surface even wider,allowing them to go through some serious mud pits.

wider tires will hurt every single other aspect besides deep mud,and looking really cool.

now,taller tires also takes consideration.the taller you go,the higher your gearing and less multiplied torque you will have.
this means,the taller the tire - the less towing power you will have.
it's mostly felt on take off,but less applied torque is present all through the rpm range.

tires size,gearing,and the combo is the most commonly screwed up setting people do with trucks for their use.

setting either,or both of these up improperly,can turn a powerful truck with great traction and gearing into a great looking tuff truck that can't get out of it's own way,let alone haul and tow anything,especially on the hills.
the difference can be extreme,and the performance and fuel economy also extreme,making one truck feel like a pile of slush,and the other going like a raped ape,with all other things being equal.

you need to know your plans with the truck.
you need to know your axle ratio.

anything will work.but if its not setup to work at its peak,you may just never know the difference until you try some different tire sizes/gearing for yourself.
all it takes usually is one gear swap in a truck.after that,it all becomes so clear how important tire size and gearing really is.
it totally changes the dynamics of the vehicle,and not only on take off like commonly claimed (however i do agree "mostly",but far,far from "only".)

its a very commonly misunderstood and applied setup.tire size and gearing.
get it right for you,with appearance on back burner,you can totally fall in love with the truck all over again.it can make that much difference.
a lot of people can't do it.they want to put appearance first and often not changing their gearing to match their use either due to $ most of the time.

say you have 4.10's currently,and you don't tow often.a very good way to drop your rpms some,and get a better cruise speed for over the road driving,is taller,but not wider tires.set your odo to match,and watch the fuel economy climb!

say you start with 3.55's and you go taller,but you tow heavy often.you're hurting yourself all in name of appearance,and it just doesn't pull that load like it used to anymore.
for a simple daily driver,and toy.have at it.but set it up wrong,and your shooting yourself at the pump,and in tire costs both.
plus in tow bills because your off the road more than on in the winter.

Quick Reply: Tire Size