6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

ESPAR ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
goattoford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESPAR ?

Can any one tell me if a espar heater can be installed on a 2011 6.7.
As i would like to put one on because getting up at 5am to -35 temp is hard .
but getting up to a warmed up truck makes it a little eaiser.. And not to mention eaiser on the truck!!!! The one on my goat works well and will never go another ALBERTA winter with out one !

Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be able to mount it t the hood with flexible "plumbing" or along the frame. I don't know if there's room in the engine compartment otherwise.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goattoford
Can any one tell me if a espar heater can be installed on a 2011 6.7.
As i would like to put one on because getting up at 5am to -35 temp is hard .
but getting up to a warmed up truck makes it a little eaiser.. And not to mention eaiser on the truck!!!! The one on my goat works well and will never go another ALBERTA winter with out one !
I thought that the espar heater was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread when I installed it on my 99 f250. Yes it is nice for heating up the truck in the morning, but I discovered that it seemed to confuse the programming for starting when it was very cold i.e. the truck would start worse if the espar heater had not warmed the engine to maximum capacity (160 degrees I believe). I also had a lot of reliability problems with it, pumps failing, 7 days timer failing, frequent error messages stalling the heating cycle when you expected it to go etc. Not withstanding all of that, it uses a considerable quantitiy of diesel when running in high output mode and can suck your battery quite low quickly when it is very cold out, and it is difficult to recover that battery charge simply from your alternator, (and it is hard on the alternator having charge a low battery like that when very cold), so I ended up putting a 6 amp charger under the hood and plugging that in all the time and then setting the timer for the espar. So when you add up the capital cost of the espar, costs of maintenance and repairs, cost of diesel to run the thing, you can plug in your truck and run an electric heater inside for a verrry long time!. Oh yeah - the other thing is - the main reason I bought the espar was because I was worried I would take the truck into the boonies snowmobiling and leave it all day and possibly come back and not have it start. This is a fallacy though because you only have a 2 hour runtime window for the heater and if you miscalculate you could come back to a cold truck with a flat battery. Better to carry a small gas generator with you to plug the truck in while reloading. So IMHO I wouldn't do it again, particularly considering how tightly stuff is packed under the hood on these new trucks

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 AM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
I thought that the espar heater was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread when I installed it on my 99 f250. Yes it is nice for heating up the truck in the morning, but I discovered that it seemed to confuse the programming for starting when it was very cold i.e. the truck would start worse if the espar heater had not warmed the engine to maximum capacity (160 degrees I believe). I also had a lot of reliability problems with it, pumps failing, 7 days timer failing, frequent error messages stalling the heating cycle when you expected it to go etc. Not withstanding all of that, it uses a considerable quantitiy of diesel when running in high output mode and can suck your battery quite low quickly when it is very cold out, and it is difficult to recover that battery charge simply from your alternator, (and it is hard on the alternator having charge a low battery like that when very cold), so I ended up putting a 6 amp charger under the hood and plugging that in all the time and then setting the timer for the espar. So when you add up the capital cost of the espar, costs of maintenance and repairs, cost of diesel to run the thing, you can plug in your truck and run an electric heater inside for a verrry long time!. Oh yeah - the other thing is - the main reason I bought the espar was because I was worried I would take the truck into the boonies snowmobiling and leave it all day and possibly come back and not have it start. This is a fallacy though because you only have a 2 hour runtime window for the heater and if you miscalculate you could come back to a cold truck with a flat battery. Better to carry a small gas generator with you to plug the truck in while reloading. So IMHO I wouldn't do it again, particularly considering how tightly stuff is packed under the hood on these new trucks
I have found that the Webasto heaters are a little better on the fuel consumption and are more reliable. Our shop installed them in a long haul trucking company her in Alaska and they work great. There have been a couple pump failures and ignitor/atomizer problems, but mostly very good. Some run a separate battery so that it keeps the start batteries charged. Webasto also makes a cabin heater and am engine coolant heater separate. The coolant heater is amazing! Heats up a ISX Cummins or a 3406 CAT in no time! The cabin heaters are smaller than the Espar I believe too.

The cabin heaters we install are usually in the cab requiring a hole being drilled in the floorboard for inlet, exhaust, fuel lines and wiring. The coolant heaters we installed on the frame rail near the engine compartment. Obviously on a pickup truck this is a different situation.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey goattoford, did you ever install the espar in your 6.7L? I am wanting to do this as well but am worried that the temp difference between the coolant and oil will throw the truck for a loop.