1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Uhhh....Did I make a mistake when I filled my Antifreeze???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
You're fine. Go buy some test strips and a couple of bottles of additive. I know Napa or Carquest carry the additive and can order the test strips. Don't let them sell you some big fancy test kit, just buy the cheapest one they have.

The test kit is just a bottle with strips of paper inside. The bottle has a color chart on it. Take one piece of paper, dip it in the coolant, then match the color to the bottle and add SCA as indicated. Drive around a couple of days, then test again to make sure it's good.
Thank goodness!! I was hoping I hadn't waisted $72. I will go get the additive ASAP.

Will driving for a couple of days without the additive be a problem? Or do I need it in before I drive at all?

Huge thanks to everyone!!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
I thought it was a no-no to put in that Prestone 50-50, its not rated Heavy Duty... I did the same thing as you, put the Prestone in because it said it was a extendend life coolant but it wasn't rated heavy duty. I even posted a thread here and was told to get that stuff out of there and get a Diesel rated Heavy Duty antifreeze, preferably a ELC, which I did, CAT. Flushed the block out and all.
There are 4 choices for your Powerstroke....

Conventional coolant (usually green) with the addition of SCA at initial fill. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance there after.

Pre-charged coolant (usually purple or pink). Comes with an initial dose of SCA. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance required thereafter.

G-05 coolants. Comes pre-charged with SCA package. Fush required at 50K miles. Semi-annual SCA testing and maintenance recommended.

Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants. Come pre-charged with carboxylate inhibitors. No testing or maintenance. Super protection. Super long life.

The green is crap, IMHO, LOL!

I think you know how I feel about the green, bro.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plain ol' green is okay (but a PITA). But I'm pretty sure the "Any color, any make" coolant is a no-no...

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
There are 4 choices for your Powerstroke....

Conventional coolant (usually green) with the addition of SCA at initial fill. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance there after.

Pre-charged coolant (usually purple or pink). Comes with an initial dose of SCA. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance required thereafter.

G-05 coolants. Comes pre-charged with SCA package. Fush required at 50K miles. Semi-annual SCA testing and maintenance recommended.

Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants. Come pre-charged with carboxylate inhibitors. No testing or maintenance. Super protection. Super long life.

The green is crap, IMHO, LOL!

Stewart
Gotchya Stewart, I remember you and a few others telling me that, about the regular ole Prestone. I eventually went with the CAT ELC 50-50 but picked up an extra bottle of concentrate final charge, I forget the brand but its full ELC.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Plain ol' green is okay (but a PITA). But I'm pretty sure the "Any color, any make" coolant is a no-no...
(The realization is setting in....)

I used the Preston 50/50 green, any color, any make stuff. Wow, do I feel stupid!

The only place open today (Labor Day) is NAPA. Do they carry the right type of coolent? The top of the line stuff?
"Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants. Come pre-charged with carboxylate inhibitors. No testing or maintenance. Super protection. Super long life."

Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Walmart does. I dunno if your local Napa does since each one is slightly different.

If you do decide to go with a heavy duty ELC, or even the hybrib G-05 Gold from Ford (or Zerex), then make sure you do the engine backflush to get out all the green in your engine, as detailed in my link above.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
ghig1967
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, not to sound stupid.. or hi-jack the thread... But if I read this right, the antifreeze should be flushed & replaced on a regular basis? I bought my truck 2 1/2 years ago @ 88,000 on the clock & haven't touched my antifreeze because the level has been good & I didn't know otherwise. I know the antifreeze is green, so how do I know what type it is & if it needs changed??

Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it is green, the important thing is to check the SCA level with a test strips.. Not enough SCA additive and you might bore a hole thru your block due to cavitation . But yes, you should flush and change it periodically.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-09-02.php

Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ghig1967
Ok, not to sound stupid.. or hi-jack the thread... But if I read this right, the antifreeze should be flushed & replaced on a regular basis?
If you have the conventional coolant (usually the "standard" green coolant) then you have a higher level of maintenance needed. You must test the coolant frequently with SCA test strips like Clint stated.

With the Ford Gold coolant (G-05), a flush is recommended at 50k miles along with semi-annual testing.

Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants (ELC's) do not need any testing and are good for 300k miles or more, depending on which ELC you get. I use Chevron Delo ELC which is good for 8 year or 750,000 miles, or 10 years and 1 million miles with an additive.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would flush green every 2 years, like I mentioned above. That's the "normal" thing for gassers with green, so I'd do the same with it in this application. Gold can run longer, and ELC even longer like Stewart said...

Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the conventional coolant (usually the "standard" green coolant) then you have a higher level of maintenance needed. You must test the coolant frequently with SCA test strips like Clint stated.

With the Ford Gold coolant (G-05), a flush is recommended at 50k miles along with semi-annual testing. Stewart
If its the gold-yellow colored antifreeze like I had in mine stock from the factory in 03 its a 100,000 mile antifreeze Stewart.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Gotcha.

I was repeating info previously posted by Gooch.

Stewart

Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 AM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Walmart does. I dunno if your local Napa does since each one is slightly different.

If you do decide to go with a heavy duty ELC, or even the hybrib G-05 Gold from Ford (or Zerex), then make sure you do the engine backflush to get out all the green in your engine, as detailed in my link above.

Stewart
Well I didn't get to NAPA today, but checked my local Wally World...and nothing. They only had the same wrong stuff I used and no additive either. They didn't even have the cheap kiddy pools recommend to make for a clean change.

I am thinking I might be willing to pay to have someone else do this flush and correct antifreeze. Anyone know of a reputable Powerstroke/diesel shop here in Tucson??

Old 09-07-2010, 12:36 AM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
One last question. Is this cavitation issue something that happens over time with the wrong antifreeze, or can it happen instantly?

Am I OK driving the truck for a couple of days until I get the new antifreeze or drive it to a shop to have it flushed and changed??

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott cavitation happens over time. I never maintained my green and had no problems (that I've seen yet lol)

Question- since I have the e99 cups, but am doing a rebuild, should I spend the money on new cups and new coolant, or keep the stock e99 cups and stay with the green junk?

Quick Reply: Uhhh....Did I make a mistake when I filled my Antifreeze???