Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you adjust the 2nd row seat back for more leg room?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 PM
PI360
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you adjust the 2nd row seat back for more leg room?

I have the 60/40 bench and I have some tall friends. I removed the second row and just kept the third row in so they would have more leg room when riding. I would prefer to have the second row in and not the third so i can flatten the area out if needed for cargo. One thing I didn't check before removing the second row is can you slide it back for added leg room if you have the 60/40 bench?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The second row is not on tracks, so no it can no slide back without modification. The only thing you can do is move the front forward for more leg room in the second row.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Since you like removing seats try removing the front ones. That should give the second row passengers plenty of room.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PI360
I have the 60/40 bench and I have some tall friends. I removed the second row and just kept the third row in so they would have more leg room when riding. I would prefer to have the second row in and not the third so i can flatten the area out if needed for cargo. One thing I didn't check before removing the second row is can you slide it back for added leg room if you have the 60/40 bench?

Thanks!

Sorry, but that seems a bit of an overkill....

Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PI360
can you slide it back for added leg room if you have the 60/40 bench?
Nope. Retarded isn't it.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a couple of 6FT+ friends and they never complain of legroom! how tall are these passengers of yours?!

Sounds like you need a limo X!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM
BoulderLionX
Junior User
Funny, I was looking at my Ex today and thinking the same thing, except that I already knew the seats were not adjustable. As Monsta has pointed out in other threads, the second row is positioned too far forward...which is immediately apparent when you open the door. I'm sure this was a compromise for a number engineering reasons, one of the which is that it preserves a foot well for the third row seats.

If they were still building them today, I'm sure they would've probably figured out a way not only to move them backward, but to fold them flat into the floor as well. The problem is that we're dealing with a decade old design that spanned only 5 years.

That said, if you are willing....I am sure there is a way.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
You know at first he does sound kinda crazy to suggest such a thing...but! I find the third row more comfy than the second row and I seem to have more leg room in the third row too! I am sure there is less room in the second row, especially with me in the front with my drivers seat waay back.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Must be a bench seat thing. I have friends that are 6'4" and they say they have a ton of room in the back, but I have the 4 captains chairs.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 1BADRIDE
Must be a bench seat thing. I have friends that are 6'4" and they say they have a ton of room in the back, but I have the 4 captains chairs.
Are your 2nd row captains chairs adjustable?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paul T
Are your 2nd row captains chairs adjustable?
I don't believe so because they fold up forward. It seems like you could easily put a set of adjustable rails between the seat and the frame to make it slide though.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I also have the 4 captain chairs and couldn't find any slide adjustment on the back to. There is plenty of room under the seat to fab in some rails. I will take a look at it someday and see what can be done. I have a bunch of honda seat rails laying around that should work great, they are only 1" tall total. So if 1" can be taken out of the stock brackets the rails would add no height to the seat.

Even my dog gets confused jumping into the back of the X and sometimes tries to squeeze between the back of the seat and the rear pillar.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Auburn_in
Senior User
I took my 2nd row seats out too. Actually I took them all out when I was wiring my stereo. I didn't put the 2nd row back in cause I liked it like that. I wouldn't mind adding a 22'' monitor to the center console for the rear passengers. Can't see the indash dvd player very well from the 3rd row.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have thought of putting sliders in too....

back in the hippy, dippy days built vans with sliders AND spinners under most of the pedestal seats .... worked well on the **** carpeting

or is the limitation the width of the seats - too wide to slide back into the narrower rear ?

but, your right, be nice to move the 2nd row back a few inches...
my problem with the 2nd row seats is the 4 inches or so at the floor level ... more than once older family members have caught a toe on the door pillar there !
need to see if jc whitney still sells the $19.95 sliders they did in the 80's !

Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 AM
XHunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had all the seats and carpet out to do my stereo. After seeing this thread it made me think about it also, I just don't have a real need for the extra few inches at this time..... After looking at everything with the carpet out I think it would relatively easy to do if you have the the skills and ability to fab some metal blocks/brackets and weld them in.....all that being said, I don't know the regulations/laws but it would probably be against the law in some way.......but it could be done

Quick Reply: Can you adjust the 2nd row seat back for more leg room?