6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is this right? No exhaust gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this right? No exhaust gaskets?

I have read there are no exhaust gaskets in the 6.0. I have a 2005. I took the heads to the head shop with the manifolds on and they had to take them off to do what they needed to do. Are there gaskets out there. I dont see them on Ed the part guys site. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
6C3Z9448A EXH MAN GSKT (MAN TO HEAD)

Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
6C3Z9448A EXH MAN GSKT (MAN TO HEAD)
Thanks Ed. Looks like my parts I ordered the other day will be here today. Thanks for the fast shipping. Why didnt ford put gaskets in the manifolds? I have tried to find out. Are the guys that are having leaks putting in gaskets? Thanks for all your help on the nuts and bolts also.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the union is supposed to "seal" once up to operational temps.
Ford only installs an exhaust gasket to the offending bank if there is a complaint of an exhaust leak.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Ford only installs an exhaust gasket to the offending bank if there is a complaint of an exhaust leak.
So benchwrench should I use them or not as I have them apart and would be happy to order them if they would work better.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have an exhaust leak?

This is how I feel about the subject;
If I had an exhaust leak at that union, and it won't seal itself, then I would install a gasket to 'right' the problem. With high pressure and intense heat, chances are the gasket will eventually blow out anyway.
If I 'hear' an exhaust leak or smell exhaust fumes in the cab from this union, then it would demand a gasket kit.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
jetact
Elder User
I have smelled some exhaust at start up before. The thing is I have the manifold off right now. Had the heads done. So its just if it would be better to install them now or put them back together stock

Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
teppler
Elder User
In my opinion I would not use them, seems there are very few exhaust leaks without them. Although you might have the shop check the surfaces for flatness might even true them up while there at the shop.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
if/when the gasket fails you will have a worse leak then if you did not use them.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If this helps, my 428 cj does not use exhaust gaskets. It is a machine fit. I do however put a thin coating of permatex gold hi-temp sealer on the flanges just to fill in any missed imperfections. I've had these manifolds off twice and have never had a leak doing it this way. By the way it is a 1969 and the engines now a days are supposed to have better precision on the manf. process. So they say.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
jetact
Elder User
Thanks to everyone. Sorry Ed but I will go with out gaskets. I think other then the injectors I have all of the parts and everything back. It must be time to start reassembling the engine.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
Would the cab filling with smoke and smoke coming out the cowling be considered a problem?

Should Ford fix it, even if it isn't under warranty anymore?

FWIW, I have 2 05's that are doing this now. One does the above, the other is just at the point of making one's eyes water and throat get scratchy.

Great design. NOT!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
its not a common issue.
should ford fix it for free. I dont think so. at some point you have to become an owner.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Would the cab filling with smoke and smoke coming out the cowling be considered a problem?
Yes.

Should Ford fix it, even if it isn't under warranty anymore?
No.

FWIW, I have 2 05's that are doing this now. One does the above, the other is just at the point of making one's eyes water and throat get scratchy.
Are you certain it is the exhaust manifold leaking at the head? A flex pipe or Y pipe leak is also a common problem. Needs to be fixed before you take a nice long unneeded nap.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
its not a common issue.
should ford fix it for free. I dont think so. at some point you have to become an owner.
So a truck that's almost 6 years old, has 50some thousand miles is expected to have an exhaust leak so bad it could kill the operator?

You say it isn't a common issue, but it is an issue, a safety issue. One that should not be happening on a vehicle that I paid for and expect to last at least 100K. Shoot, back in the old days when exhaust systems were crap they lasted longer than this.

As for the owner comment, when this truck was down for almost 3 weeks in January with a whopping 500 miles on the odometer, and it is a work truck with a plow prep package, should Ford have taken ownership of the problem and reimbursed me for the revenue I lost?

Or at the same time, when my '04 550 transmission grenaded and that truck was out of commission for 2 weeks in Jan '05 while it was snowing and it had the plow prep package, who should have taken ownership for that?

Or how about a year later, when the exact same thing happened to my '04 and all Ford would give me when I had an aftermarket tranny shop build it for me was a case and a torque converter. Truck was down for another 2 weeks in the middle of the winter. That's 6 weeks of lost revenue from 2 trucks when I need them the most. That's my name, reputation, family, employees and employees' families depend on those trucks. Funny how when my shop rebuilt it with a shift kit and aftermarket snap ring the truck is now going into it's 3rd season without a problem. And when the planetary set was not the updated one I paid over a grand for it because Ford wouldn't pay for it and I didn't want this tranny to grenade a third time.

Or how about my '05 that is going on it's 4th grease seal in the rear axle, sure Ford replaced it under warranty while it was under warranty, but now it's out and there was a TSB on it and after going through 4 of them, should I really need to take ownership of something that is obviously wrong with either the housing or the shaft?

I own 10 Ford products. Pretty sure I take ownership of them. Pretty sure I've been getting it up the rear without any lubrication because I have taken ownership of my problems with the 6.0's. I have 3 7.3's that I have had less than a quarter of these types of problems with. 2 trannys in one truck in 120K. 1 in another at 100K. None in the other at 75K. A couple wiring harnesses, one turbo, several crap oil pans.

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't take it out on you, but I have no decent dealers with a good diesel tech working for them, none that will go to bat to get anything that is a month out of warranty (oil pan) covered for me despite owning 10 Fords. I had a Dodge dealer warranty a tranny at 72K for me. No questions asked, they just did it. But you are the one that told me I need to take ownership of my 6.0's. BTW, I haven't even started on the injectors, STC, FICM, hard start, turbo, EGR and HPOP issues I've had with them.

Originally Posted by bpounds
Yes.

No.

Are you certain it is the exhaust manifold leaking at the head? A flex pipe or Y pipe leak is also a common problem. Needs to be fixed before you take a nice long unneeded nap.
Tell me about it. Taking it to a shop tomorrow, my dealers don't get a dime of my money that isn't under warranty after the way I have been treated by Ford.