5.4L and aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:02 PM
lordthirteen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone recommend a good after market exhaust for my 2003 F-150 FX-4. It is the 5.4L

I will probably just do a cat-back exhaust. Is there a reason I should go with a better cat... or even going farther to headers, etc? I want to keep it relatively inexpensive.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2003, 09:30 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster

Just find one that is stainless, more expensive, but if you take the truck through water above the bumpers, you'll need it. I have a cheap-o aluminized cat-back on my 5.4 that came with the truck when I bought it last summer. It looked fine, with no real rust. I have just replaced a section of pipe that rusted off at the muffler outlet forward of the rear wheel, the hangers have rusted through twice, and now the chrome on the tips looks like crap. I only went mudding once and the inside of that pipe is nothing but flakes of rust. I'll need a new exhaust in the next year or so.

The truck sounds great, and turns heads. That's good enough reason for me to get another dual cat-back. Performance wise, I can't give you comparisions. I do know that the stock cat is considered a high flow model.

When I bought the truck and took it to get the truck shell/canopy the dealer there said it sounded like his Borla system. Some manufacturers have the sounds of their systems up for you to hear.

Sorry, I don't have a real recommendation, but I hope it helps to give you my experiences.

-Kerry

Old 02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
lordthirteen
New User

It does give me some good information
Thanks a lot.

Old 02-22-2003, 12:09 PM
EB_EXP97
New User
Thumbs up 5.4L and aftermarket exhausts

I Put a 3" gibbson cat back on my 97 Expy 5.4, nice sound not to loud,and a noticible difference from stock. cost was $180 took about a hour to do. hope this helps