General Automotive Discussion

Bone Yard Etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Houston, Spanish. If you can find one that speaks english, Please let me know.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Elaborate,
__please.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I go to the bone yard over this was to see if there are any decent foxbody Mustang parts to save. I hate it when you see so many interior parts cracked or destroyed because someone didn't take the time to take things apart the right way and they just rip stuff apart with their hands.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Um,
__that is what this thread is about 1ATony.

But it's also about ways we can help to educate one's that don't know.
To help reduce these prob's that we all encounter in the yards.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have steam coming out of my ears when i see something i need ruined because some jacka$$ removed something else with a sawzall, torch or ripped it out with there monkey paws. or ruined interior because they were to figgin' lazy to close a door.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Yep,
__that can make a lot good yard hunter's hot under the collar too.

But one thing us responsible yard'rs can do is lead by example.
See something left open when someone has finished with it. Go close it up.
Be active when in the yard, even so if no one else is.
This is one way of being positively responsible in the yard.

See someone getting ready to shred/tear into something.
Don't just stand there, go ask if they are need of some assistance or if
there is a tool that you have you can use to help them get to what there working on.
I've myself have spent a little of my resourced time to aid a fellow yard'r,
so they wouldn't have to tear something up. Or have to leave without what they came for.

Now if there is someone just being a complete a*s just breaking & tearing
*hit up for enjoyment, report such person to the yard employee's or management.
I'm sure the loss/destruction of there merchandise will get there attention to the matter real quick.

Let's teach the younger/less caring persons in the yard's
that we all can be responsible while being in the yard...

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Been almost 2 yrs since anybody poke around eh?
Well here's a bump then...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you aren't mocha brown, speak Spanish, have a mustache a bush whacker can't cut or black, You'll pay dearly for real junk if it is even there. Not to mention, All the good yards are gone now. When I had my '78, I tried to get parts for it at the yards. Forget it. LKQ here is a damn joke. Anouther here, The owner thinks he is god and owns the only yard in town so you get a rude attitude from him. I actually heard him threaten to call INS on one of his guys because he did a $5 discount on a part. Anymore, I either talk to my buddy who owns a storage lot or go online. And either are cheaper sometimes than locally sourcing the part. BTW, Lets not forget all the EPA fees, TDLR fees, insurance, labor, utility bills, taxes, clean up costs, tooling, etc... Not profitable anymore. Hell, I won't even sell my junkers to them. I'll part them out myself on craigslist or other media and get more than what they'll offer me.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All these issues are brought on by an image problem. Junkyard, Boneyard, Scrapyard, etc. Need to rebrand the industry as Automotive History & Cultural Repository centers and maybe instead of being targeted by the government they could qualify for grants and hand outs.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
All these issues are brought on by an image problem. Junkyard, Boneyard, Scrapyard, etc. Need to rebrand the industry as Automotive History & Cultural Repository centers and maybe instead of being targeted by the government they could qualify for grants and hand outs.
Arrrgh now you've done it----this ^^^^ will be in the works even as the ink dries on the (web) page!

Fact is even when this was originally posted it was somewhat a flawed premise, hope or wish. Not saying it wasn't meant to be anything but helpful, to bring about a kinder, gentler nation but c'mon---really?

The pick n pull lots tend to be "lawless" (aka: good sense, common courtesy, respect) lots with some of the worst examples of humanity we're likely to encounter. Since these places aren't patrolled or even have attendants anywhere except the check out area we'd be a bit foolish to think it would be any different than it is.

These places just have to be massive cash machines and while those profits remain high there'll be no changes at all. The best yards don't allow the rabble to pick, pull and destroy otherwise salable items in order to save a buck or two----their business model is obviously quite different and yet probably profitable enough for them to maintain it.

I know full damn well when I enter one of those outfits what to expect but occasionally come away with a good find or something I truly need. I've found eBay is a great place for stuff I need/want, am willing to pay a bit more to avoid all the hassles of the pick n pull lots and get the stuff dropped off right at my door!

I do find LKQ to be a great site or physical location simply because they will ship or transfer stuff to their affiliated outlets, don't force you to buy something ordered in if it doesn't suit you. Its a good alternative.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Speaking of etiquette, I think it's pretty annoying when people ask to borrow my tools at the pick-and-pull. I don't care that we're all there (supposedly) for one common goal; if I've never seen you before, you're not walking off with something of mine. I've also had a couple instances of folks I don't know following me around trying to make conversation.

Believe it or not, there have been a few times when I've been at the front entrance getting my toolbox checked or my hand stamped, and heard someone say "what do you mean I have to bring my own tools? You guys don't provide that?" For goodness sake, what level of entitlement does it take to think that way? It's called "YOU-wrench it" for a reason. So I can re-iterate one of the items in the original list: BRING TOOLS.

I've also met folks who complain about the $2 entrance fee when they don't find anything they need. Really? Going to a junkyard is cheap entertainment, if nothing else.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Don't mind paying the $2 but don't know why they need to take my picture.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 PM
crazedfox
More Turbo
It's good to hear some of these response's.

& yes, a good size of quality/respectful yards are going the wayside like most self-help mindsets.

But this post is intended to be suggestively used for when one intends & goes to a yard for what ever reason they intended.

& hey, you can't find a solid quality yard locally anymore, talk to whom might know of some yards that are.
Sometimes a group planned yarding trip, is better & more fun.
(something else for the spouse to bug about, lol.)

Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 PM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Don't mind paying the $2 but don't know why they need to take my picture.
It's usually a security thing.
Such situation as like; somebody robs the place after hours & is caught on video.

So all they have to do is see if it match's anybody that has visited there recently.

& bingo, less time & effort spent on a dumbbutt ruining it for everyone else.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Too much big brother in that concept. If worried about theft put some juice in the fence and peel the crispy critter off in the morning. Leave the spying to the NSA and us law abiding types alone. It's a friggin junkyard.

Quick Reply: Bone Yard Etiquette.