2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new plugs and boots and now missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Ted928
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new plugs and boots and now missing

I have a slight missing problem when the engine is cold (mornings). It goes away after a few miles. No codes.

The problem started after I replaced the plugs with champions. I read to replace the boots which I have now done but I still have the problem. No signs of shorting on the old boots.

I have watered the COP region after the truck was warm and no signs of arcing. I will try this again in the morning when it is dead cold.

Any suggestions as to how best locate the source?

It might be unrelated to the plugs since I changed the plugs out a while ago, do not drive the truck that frequently, changed the boots out a month later, ...

Is there something else causing this problem? Dirty throttle??

Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles are on the truck and how often do you actually drive it?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Ted928
Tuned
44 kmiles and this time of year I drive 1-2 per week.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
I am no mechanic but it sounds more like you are just having an issue getting fuel into the system on these days. Have you changed out your fuel filter recently?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If you are located in the northern part of the country or where road salt is used it could be you fuel pump control module. It's located on the crossmember in front of the spare tire and exposed to the elements. They are known to corrode and begin to fail. Your truck is old enough for a problem like that.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Ted928
Tuned
I got some info. Saturday morning I wet the COPs and drove the truck. It misfired. I pushed it hard enough so that it through a code - misfire of cylinder 5.

I changed out the fuel filter and tried the wet drive this morning and no codes. It did not run perfectly but much better. I'll try it a few more times to see if the ff replacement did in fact solve my problem.

Replacing Fuel Filter: Do not listen to the parts guy if he tells you that "you do not need the tool, break the old clips off and replace with the clips that come with the filter".

You need the original clips, you must use the tool, and it must be the correct size tool.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Well looks like you are moving in the right direction. I think I would next is add some feul cleaner into your gas and that should help more to flush out the lines and the other areas to help it run better.

Let us know if you have any other problems or updates.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 PM
motown
Senior User
By chance, did you put the nickel anti-seize on the lowe section of the new plugs? if you did, could you have gotten some on the spark plug electrode? This will cause a miss.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Christofiso
New User
If all the fuel supply work still has no change, I would try to swap #5 fuel injector to a different location. you might have a bad injector

Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Reid lariat
Junior User
I am getting ready to change the COPS in my truck and people have said how easy it is. I understand there is just one screw but some of the screws I can barely see especially the back four. Any tips or suggestions for doing this would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Ted928
Tuned
Still having problems after fuel filter change. I decides to swap COP and plug.
This is what the #5 plug looks like.
The black dot looks like signs of burning through the insulation.
Maybe Champions do have a quality problem

[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Kind of looks like arcing thru boot to me. I doubt it's a plug problem, but u could replace it to be safe. Haven't heard of any quality problems with Champion plugs, but that doesn't mean they don't have a dud once in a while.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Christofiso
New User
get a 7mm 1/4 drive universal socket socket, and wear ong sleaves (protection from scratching the (blank) out of you arms).

If the plug is out get a new one!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM
mswpj
Junior User
Removing the PCM and PCM mounting bracket helps when trying to access the passenger side rear coil. Since you have gotten the problem to throw a code, try switching the front two coils. Passenger side front with the drivers side front. See if the code reflects the other side. Front drivers side is number 5 cylinder and the front passenger side is the number 1 cylinder. After switching coils, if the code moves to the #1 cylinder, it's the coil. If it stays on 5, switch the plugs from 1 and 5. If the code then switches to cylinder 1, it's the plug. On the other hand, if it still stays at 5, you could have an electrical, injector, or just a mechanical problem with bank 5. You have to use the process of elimination. I recommend renting a scanner from an auto parts store for convenience. Hope this helps. I just went through the same process as you with the champion plugs. And actually had a bad plug.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Ted928
Tuned
Originally Posted by mswpj
Removing the PCM and PCM mounting bracket helps when trying to access the passenger side rear coil. Since you have gotten the problem to throw a code, try switching the front two coils. Passenger side front with the drivers side front. See if the code reflects the other side. Front drivers side is number 5 cylinder and the front passenger side is the number 1 cylinder. After switching coils, if the code moves to the #1 cylinder, it's the coil. If it stays on 5, switch the plugs from 1 and 5. If the code then switches to cylinder 1, it's the plug. On the other hand, if it still stays at 5, you could have an electrical, injector, or just a mechanical problem with bank 5. You have to use the process of elimination. I recommend renting a scanner from an auto parts store for convenience. Hope this helps. I just went through the same process as you with the champion plugs. And actually had a bad plug.
I replaced the #5 plug (picture given above) and the problem seems to be fine. The plug was defective as it allowed arcing through the ceramic insulator - creating the dark spot in the picture. Under a magnify glass you can see that the black dot is a collection of very small burn marks.

You said that you also had a defective plug. Was there signs of arcing?
I have never had a defective plug before in my lifetime.

Quick Reply: new plugs and boots and now missing